£500 small - mid sized car wanted

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Chris0

RMS Regular
If it's a trader saying sold as seen on a £500 car is it not because they have took it as a trade it and want it shipped off without any hassle? Or maybe they know very little about the car and don't want to be the blame IF anything goes wrong?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
You'll not get much of a warranty on a £500 car. Presumably it's a given that something at that price is pretty much sold as seen.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Probably more a case of idiots buying £500 cars and expecting them to be like 5k cars. It's the reason I stopped dealing in cars. A £500 car is a throwaway car.

We bought a £400 e46 for my bro @Stephen G to get about in until the e36 is ready again and it's needed a bit of work but even if it had blown up on the way home.its just a chance you have to take with old sheds.

Chris0

RMS Regular
Probably more a case of idiots buying £500 cars and expecting them to be like 5k cars. It's the reason I stopped dealing in cars. A £500 car is a throwaway car.

We bought a £400 e46 for my bro @Stephen G to get about in until the e36 is ready again and it's needed a bit of work but even if it had blown up on the way home.its just a chance you have to take with old sheds.

It's an absolute weapon! :party:
stock-photo-washing-machine-on-wheels-isolated-on-white-background-138461012.jpg

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I'd disagree that a £500 car is a throwaway car. Maybe to folk who have money it might be a throwaway car! I know it certainly wouldn't be a car to drive for the rest of my life, but you can get more than just a "throwaway car" at that money, again it all boils down to the cronyisms held by car folk who are simply in it for a easy £

I know I wouldn't be getting warranty on a £500 car, but based on previous experience, especially very recently on a certain little Corsa I'm not allowed to talk about, were I have bought vehicles as "sold as seen" and they have usually developed a fault either shortly after or on the way home from buying.

Most other vehicles I have bought which haven't stated "sold as seen" have usually been ok.

I remember in my very early days when buying my first car I was told to be wary of any seller stating "sold as seen" and it's just something that has always stuck in my head and has been backed up by a few personal experiences.

hippyross

RMS Regular
A trader can't stand over a £500 car because obviously with it being a £500 car things will go wrong with could be somthing silly or major and at the end of the day it's not worth the hassle because there will be little money in it for them and if they start fixing things there will be nothing in it and end up costing them.

My wee clio I got is a great wee car and it was under £500 but it has its issues like the speedo doesn't work half the time, sunroof leaking, some sort of heater plug light on the odd time and I had to put a thermostat into it, how could a trader stand over that for £500?

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
A trader can't stand over a £500 car because obviously with it being a £500 car things will go wrong with could be somthing silly or major and at the end of the day it's not worth the hassle because there will be little money in it for them and if they start fixing things there will be nothing in it and end up costing them.

My wee clio I got is a great wee car and it was under £500 but it has its issues like the speedo doesn't work half the time, sunroof leaking, some sort of heater plug light on the odd time and I had to put a thermostat into it, how could a trader stand over that for £500?
If it's a trader you've the consumer rights act protecting you, even for a £500, it has to be fit for purpose.

pablo

RMS Moderator
I'd disagree that a £500 car is a throwaway car. Maybe to folk who have money it might be a throwaway car! I know it certainly wouldn't be a car to drive for the rest of my life, but you can get more than just a "throwaway car" at that money, again it all boils down to the cronyisms held by car folk who are simply in it for a easy £

I know I wouldn't be getting warranty on a £500 car, but based on previous experience, especially very recently on a certain little Corsa I'm not allowed to talk about, were I have bought vehicles as "sold as seen" and they have usually developed a fault either shortly after or on the way home from buying.

Most other vehicles I have bought which haven't stated "sold as seen" have usually been ok.

I remember in my very early days when buying my first car I was told to be wary of any seller stating "sold as seen" and it's just something that has always stuck in my head and has been backed up by a few personal experiences.

if a £500 car needs £500 of work, its a throwaway car lol

brendy

RMS Regular
A 500 quid car, yea its £500, but it has been reduced to potentially 2% of its original price. In the grand scheme of things it is seen as one prang/gearbox busted/bent valve short of the crusher.
In fact a full service can cost more than the car so it would be seen as consumable. Throwaway maybe not as any car will still have some parts worth something.
The best advice is to buy a car which is the least complex and most common car about.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Well to end the argument about whether or not a trader has to stand over it, the Almera which sparked the debate is listed on Scumtree under a "Private" seller.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I'm getting a bit hacked off now.

During the Corsa debacle it was suggested that I ask on here for a cheap car. All I'm wanting is any one who knows of a car personally or can offer advice on a cheap car they have spotted.

I'm not after people's opinions on what makes a £500 car, or "it's only £500, you won't get much", wether or not it's a throwaway car, wether or not it'll have warranty.

I might be a little picky, but I'm under no illusions that a £500 car will never be a show queen nor will it be without issues.

So perhaps the moderators can tidy this thread up, and whilst I'm grateful for most input, I'd be happy if we can keep it to what's out there in RMS-land and if there's nothing then if people spot a car that they maybe have a little knowledge about, in terms of normal faults or what specifically to look out for on a certain vehicle

Thank you

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Can honestly recommend a Corolla, they're like cockroaches lol I had the same shape as the two I put links up for in my last post. Only thing the early Toyota VVTI engine is known for is burning a bit of oil

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Yea I've been looking at that, the only thing that bothers me is the "Sold As Seen", usually that means the seller is aware of an impending problem and has either tried to hide it or is not likely to point it out to the buyer!

On anything over 2k I'd be concerned at that line however for 490 quid issues can come with the territory so he's probably just keeping himself safe as such

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
These wee polo sdi's are cracking wee cars
Bullet proof engines and parts cheap as chips
this ones slightly over your budget but can be picked up for silly money
Fabia sdi's-again cracking wee cars

IMG_2140.jpg

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
There's a wee Toyota Corolla on the 'stupidest thing you've heard on gumtree' thread that actually looks well if you excuse the woeful spelling of the seller - £550.

j44nty

RMS Regular
I think @pablo is right. If I buy a cheap car for the work commute which I do with my e46 disability I have. You spend a grand on a car it generally needs a grand spent on it to have it just right and maybe tick over 2 or 3years but I consider that cheap motoring. A 500 quid car imo is always gonna need 500 spent on it minimum. If I where buying a 4 grand car I'd expect to spend half that making it just right. In my defence of this e46's usually need a pile of arms and a working cooling system lol.

j44nty

RMS Regular
I'm getting a bit hacked off now.

During the Corsa debacle it was suggested that I ask on here for a cheap car. All I'm wanting is any one who knows of a car personally or can offer advice on a cheap car they have spotted.

I'm not after people's opinions on what makes a £500 car, or "it's only £500, you won't get much", wether or not it's a throwaway car, wether or not it'll have warranty.

I might be a little picky, but I'm under no illusions that a £500 car will never be a show queen nor will it be without issues.

So perhaps the moderators can tidy this thread up, and whilst I'm grateful for most input, I'd be happy if we can keep it to what's out there in RMS-land and if there's nothing then if people spot a car that they maybe have a little knowledge about, in terms of normal faults or what specifically to look out for on a certain vehicle

Thank you
Sorry dude didn't read this will keep it on track

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.