Alloy polishing

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Piss poor job first time around. Better the second time but lasted less than 12 months.

He may be a fraction of the price but I paid him to refurbish the wheels which is what he claims to do, that's his profession. I didn't ask him to quote for a half assed job so I expected better.
Lesson learnt and I'll not be back near him.

Attachments

• IMG_20140611_153900281_HDR_zps54df5bb0.jpg
    IMG_20140611_153900281_HDR_zps54df5bb0.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20140611_153911247_HDR_zps9b60aa0e.jpg
    IMG_20140611_153911247_HDR_zps9b60aa0e.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20140611_153918189_HDR_zpsf7b26f53.jpg
    IMG_20140611_153918189_HDR_zpsf7b26f53.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20140611_153936703_HDR_zps4acd2716.jpg
    IMG_20140611_153936703_HDR_zps4acd2716.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20140611_153944762_HDR_zps0e7d3b45.jpg
    IMG_20140611_153944762_HDR_zps0e7d3b45.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20140611_154000401_HDR_zps8deeb89d.jpg
    IMG_20140611_154000401_HDR_zps8deeb89d.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
In fairness his business was polishing and he learnt to paint to accommodate people.

Ant

RMS Regular
Not really sure what you lads are expecting, from the sounds of it the guys a third of the price of everywhere else and does ok work for that money, sometimes better than what's expected.

It's like buying a Logik t.v and expecting it to be a Sony

russboy

RMS Regular
OP
R
Drives
honda civic
Not really sure what you lads are expecting, from the sounds of it the guys a third of the price of everywhere else and does ok work for that money, sometimes better than what's expected.

It's like buying a Logik t.v and expecting it to be a Sony
When you pay the price he asked for.You expect the finished job you asked for simple as that. It all had to be re-done.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
I have used EJ Polishing in Ravernet for both polished and satin finishes on aluminium and stainless - always been spot on and easy paid with a decent turnaround time too

Ant

RMS Regular
When you pay the price he asked for.You expect the finished job you asked for simple as that. It all had to be re-done.

Like I said if I pay £50 for speakers i expect them to put out something resembling the sound I expect to hear to that value, not pump out the fidelity of a B&W set

The above posts are a prime example of a mix of expectations and reality, some have paid knowing its a bargain price service and have been happy enough.

Some people have done the same and wondered why it wasn't 100%... You get what you pay for, if you're fussy pay the price get the branded option, if ya need something to do the job get the budget one.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Its not just about finish though @Eager . Although and finish will require certain care a proper will last much longer.

Also have to agree with the above. If a quote is given for the job it should be done to the requested standard. If I priced you an extension to the house at half the price of others and the roof leaked you wouldn't just accept that you get what you pay for.

If you know the risk that it may be crap then i can near see your point but for someone to walk into a business not knowing and expect a service and not get it then that's ****ty.

To open things up further than just 2 places, I know @clrrk had ceramic polishing done by Dean at East Coast Alloys but then stopped doing it. Did you ever find anyone else?

Gemma

RMS Regular
I had a fella ask me where I got my alloys polished at and said ej polishing, apparently he's in every other week getting different wheels done by ej now lol
He couldn't get over the finish of them and the fact that I'd been like near two years since ej polished them

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
In fairness his business was polishing and he learnt to paint to accommodate people.

He didn't tell me that though. Would you let a plumber wire your house ?

They are wheels. They don't get that close inspection. Michaels job has always been good for what you pay.

View attachment 138382

From 4 painted and ruined looking motorsports one with a crack to this for 140 quid. Sold, where do I sign.

From 4 ruined and painted BBS RC's to 4 ruined and painted BBS RC's. He had them for 3 weeks too.

No need for close inspection to see the mess. I wasn't expecting a first class job for £160 but would you call these acceptable?

IMG_20140611_153944762_HDR_zps0e7d3b45.jpg
IMG_20140611_153918189_HDR_zpsf7b26f53.jpg
IMG_20140611_153936703_HDR_zps4acd2716.jpg

Going by some of the other posts he is capable of doing a good job. I'm not slating the fella but I believe he might take on too much work at times and rush the odd job.

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
@natogreen16v East Coast Alloys dont ceramic polish any more and there doesnt seem to be anyone else here that does it. Only options for ceramic is to use Mike the Polisher in Scotland or Felgenwerks in England.

@Iain Traynor my dad wired my house and he cuts metal for a living.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
@natogreen16v East Coast Alloys dont ceramic polish any more and there doesnt seem to be anyone else here that does it. Only options for ceramic is to use Mike the Polisher in Scotland or Felgenwerks in England.

@Iain Traynor my dad wired my house and he cuts metal for a living.

And if my dad told me he could refurbish alloys I would have let him do it. Trusting someone you don't know is entirely different and you can only take their word for it @clrrk

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Couldn't say a bad word about Michaels work. Has done quite a few sets for me and for all it costs I'm more than happy with the job. I didn't sent my Dad his way when he was getting a set done because he would want them 100% flawless, and I know that would be an unreasonable assumption at that price point. He took them to nuluk, which did a fantastic job but was in/around 3 times the price (IIRC).

Even to DIY them wouldn't be a million miles off the price Michael quotes by the time you count in tyre fitting, wheel balancing and then all the paint & various materials. Only takes you to pop over to his workshop to see that it's a high volume business and therefore the odd set is going to escape that's got a flaw or two. From experience he's always seemed very amicable to sorting out issues if/when they do pop up.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
Michael has painted and polished a couple of sets for me over the years and I've always been happy with the outcome.
As others have said, there is a quality you get for your money as with everything in life.
@Iain Traynor that wheel in the second photo is badly pitted, what did you expect the finish to be like for that money? Without shot blasting that then possibly filling and sanding it that was always going to be the outcome.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Michael has painted and polished a couple of sets for me over the years and I've always been happy with the outcome.
As others have said, there is a quality you get for your money as with everything in life.
@Iain Traynor that wheel in the second photo is badly pitted, what did you expect the finish to be like for that money? Without shot blasting that then possibly filling and sanding it that was always going to be the outcome.

It 100% wasn't pitted @Chris Mac , that's stuff that was left ON the surface of the wheel after whatever process he used and he just sprayed over it, definitely not a defect in the surface and it was gone the second time he done them. As I already said the finish was spot on after he done them the second time but it lasted less than a year.

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.