BMW M2 - Long Beach Blue

m5lvyn

RMS Regular
Drives
GT4
Good evening gents, I've a new car to share with you all. It's a new M2 lci in Long Beach Blue!

DSC00121 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00142 by Mel, on Flickr

I've a bit of a write up on my reasoning for switching from the M4 to M2 so if you're only here for some pictures then feel free to scroll down! Otherwise here's my rambling :joy:

The last few months or so I've started to look online at various different cars as I started to get somewhat itchy feet with the M4. Reasons which I'll elaborate further on later on but the main hit list was the M4 lci Competition Pack, M2, Cayman or a C63.

The new C63 coupe is a beautiful thing, interior is a step up and the noise is :yum.. but something just doesn't draw me to them as much as it should for the money. The 718 Cayman's are bloody stunning yet very impractical for my needs as a usable daily and carrying equipment in the boot is a must. Head rules that one out..for now lol(n)
Next was the M4 lci Comp Pack which has been refined and tweaked compared to my '16 non comp which overall makes them a different beast altogether mixed with a individual colour would be a worthwhile change for sure.

This brings me onto the M2 which I've been interested in since the speculation rumours circulated about its potential release. It delivered the promises and in my opinion the perfect balance between power and size much like my old beloved e46 m3. I tried to secure an allocation before the launch but the wait time was roughly a year with no discounts which lead me to go for the M4 instead which was readily available and around 18% off as an incentive.

As brilliant as my M4 has been I've never 100% gelled with it. Its noticeably bigger than any of the previous gen M3's and almost feels GT like rather than fast sports coupe. This was my biggest gripe with the car and when pushing it on you feel the size even more. Aside from the physical size of it I found a few other smaller niggles that annoyed me using it as a daily drive.
-My drivers seatbelt had kinked through the design of the seat, it wouldn't fold back all the way sometimes and would naturally kink over making harder to grab next time, I tried to get it fixed under warranty but service dept said they couldn't see a fault nor repeat it kinking..
-The front seats folding lever is on the backside and nearly impossible to reach without bending your arm around it lol and it has a very sharp edge.. poor design.
-The odd dash rattle could be heard which is notorious for all the m3/4's, I'm not sure they've improved this with the latest gen.
-the doors are large and it hard to squeeze out sometimes in a tight parking space.
-the turning circle is laughable bad!
-non lci led rear lights look out dated now, retrofit lci's are circa 1k..
-noise from the exhaust is loud with the flaps open and very raw but overall not a particularly tuneful note rather just more noise as it pushes on.
-almost too much to setup and customise with the settings
-the paint on the bumpers is terrible, after 11k miles I had more stone chips than any of my previous 40-60k m3's, also the rear back bumper tyre underside had the paint peeling off from flicked stones. not noticeable unless you peered into the wheel arch but still..
-seats looked the business but not very comfortable and poor usability design
-lastly the values of the m3/4's are dropping like a stone! so many editions and revisions with massive Bmw discount support has made plenty of sales but hurt the used market for sure

Having said all that I still loved the M4 and it was a beautiful car inside and out. The power was ridiculous and certainly a handful! The engine bay was also a work of art.

I've been keeping my eye on the m2's since and with the lci tweaks towards the end of last year they look perfect. Speculation has already started on what the impending competition M2 will be like, a detuned m3/4 engine reportedly being adding with some more carbon bits and m3/4 seats. Due to be announced in the summer with deliveries around end of year early 2019. The smart move would have been to hold off and see what this has in store but reading on the f87 m2 forums many agree that the comp m2 will cost no doubt cost more and the s55 m3/4 engine might sound pants (compared to the glorious n55 on the current m2) and there's been leaked images of a revised front bumper and grills that looks somewhat dubious..

Which leads me onto a few Saturdays ago I was passing Bavarian BMW up at Boucher and stopped for a look with the intention of checking out some of their in stock comp pack M4's and mineral grey M2 I had seen online. I spotted in the showroom a new long beach blue m2 which was specc'd to what I had chosen online and a tidy discount already on the sticker.

IMG_5764 by Mel, on Flickr

IMG_5768 by Mel, on Flickr

Watching youtube videos and reading up on the M2 all weekend I went back Monday morning and confirmed my thoughts that I had to have the car!! I secured a good deal and traded the M4 as well to keep it simple.

SO here's the option spec of the car:

-Long Beach Blue, Black Dakota Leather with Blue stitching
-DCT
-Reverse cam
-Sun protection glass
-Electric seats
-Electric Folding mirrors
-Heated seats
-Harmon hifi

Fast forward 2 weeks of sorting my 2 digit reg transfer and getting everything lined up for my collection on Saturday. Finally I was able to get my hands on the m2!!

I left my proper full frame camera in work so excuse my rushed snaps!

DSC00084 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00085 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00088 by Mel, on Flickr

I took it for a blast today since it was a sunny Sunday and stopped at Billy Neill pitches for some initial pictures (it was bloody freezing!), the colour is hard to properly do justice with a camera:

DSC00096 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00099 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00101 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00106 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00109 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00114 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00121 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00122 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00125 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00128 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00136 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00137 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00140 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00142 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00143 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00148 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00149 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00153 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00158 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00164 by Mel, on Flickr

DSC00174 by Mel, on Flickr

First impressions:

I already love it, the colour really makes the car stand out. Driving through Belfast stopped at traffic lights 3 kids jumped onto the road with cameras to snap pics of it lol never got that attention in the m4! Also having had 3 white M's in a row I'm enjoying a brighter colour.

The interior is really nice, the small details, alcantara and stitching make it feel a bit more special. The seats are very comfy albeit not as 'sexy' as the m3/4's.

The exhaust in sport sounds amazing for a stock system. The over run burbles never get old! Ive heard it gets slightly louder as it beds in so I shall hold out and see before buying the M performance exhaust.

Cant accurately comment on the power in comparison to the M4 yet as it needs the run in service at 1200 miles firstly before properly unleashing it. Having said that it still feels proper quick!

Im not going to lie but I had some nervous anxiety on the lead up to collection on whether I was doing the right thing and would I miss the m4 but thats all disappeared. Its a very special car and the size, looks and noise combined are exactly what I was looking for.

Future plans/ mods.. to be decided if any at all. Thats it for now! Apologies for the long post but hopefully some useful insight to someone (y)

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Well done Mel, as I said the other day such awesome cars and so much presence in the road

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
Wow that is lovely and I'm sure you will give it your personal touch and will be detailed to within an inch of its life.
Seen one in this colour yesterday but don't think it was you.

Enjoy dude(y)

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Love it, colour is great.

Interesting write up on the M4, with second hand prices dropping and a lot of choice available I was considering one when the S3 is due a change around September but you have me thinking twice now.

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Loving that Mel, spotted your post on Instagram and have been waiting for you to post on here.

HTD!

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
Great write up and fantastic looking car you've bought, love that blue stitching on the leather :heart_eyes:

MarkM

RMS Regular
Love it, the only BMW I lust after :cool:
Did you just get it this weekend? I thought I passed you in the M4 on Friday heading towards knocknagoney?

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
That's beautiful. I love the styling of these and such an aggressive looking thing. Hope you continue to enjoy your ownership :grinning:

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
I really enjoyed the write up about the M4 as I’m trying to source my MD one.

The M2 is a stunning car and I think nicer than the M4. The M4 is a cracking car but these are eye catching. The kids was probably @Owen Mcshane and his buddies jumping out in front of you lol

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X
Beautiful!! Also think the New Plate adds to it far better :grinning:
Those kids are out every Sunday usually just up from St Georges Market and another bunch in the central reservation of the A2 at Holywood

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
That is lovely and a great spec. They look really purposeful when I’ve seen them out on the road. Enjoy!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Best BM colour at the minute (y). The Lci improvements have helped, but personally I just can’t warm to the M2. I realise I’m the only person in the world though!

Great write up too.

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
The proportions of the M2 are spot on imo. Looks fantastic! Colour is great too!

Shame they used the same pedals as the 218d SE though!

riano

RMS Regular
Drives
C63s coupe
Car is looking well! Did your valve controller work with with it?

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Very nice @m5lvyn ! What a cracking colour. The interior looks great - love the finer details. Health to enjoy!

Todd

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
That is amazing. Perfect car & perfect colour!

I’d definitely have an M2 over an M4. Enjoy!