Polisher Buying Guide?

hippyross

RMS Regular
Bought myself the vertool direct drive machine, holy crap it's a beast.
I used it today for the first time with the megs microfiber system and it was a bit of a wrestling match lol it cuts the paint far quicker than my my da6 it's in a different league I'm very impressed with how it performs.
Done a quick pass on an unloved Kia we had in work thats had most of its like in the local scratch and go, it made light work of the paint in very little time.
IMG_20180511_094417.jpg
IMG_20180511_094406.jpg
IMG_20180511_093813.jpg

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Bought myself the vertool direct drive machine, holy crap it's a beast.
I used it today for the first time with the megs microfiber system and it was a bit of a wrestling match lol it cuts the paint far quicker than my my da6 it's in a different league I'm very impressed with how it performs.
Done a quick pass on an unloved Kia we had in work thats had most of its like in the local scratch and go, it made light work of the paint in very little time.
View attachment 192166 View attachment 192167 View attachment 192168
Have one of those vertools as well. It is sore on the arms for sure. My rupes is ten time smoother. The vertool fantastic for cutting with

hippyross

RMS Regular
Have one of those vertools as well. It is sore on the arms for sure. My rupes is ten time smoother. The vertool fantastic for cutting with
It's not so bad with a foam pad, but it grips like hell with microfiber. It will take a bit of getting used to.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I’ll probably be advertising mine if anyone is interested? Brand new and never out of the box! :joy:

Comes with all the stuff you’d need.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
I’ll probably be advertising mine if anyone is interested? Brand new and never out of the box! :joy:

Comes with all the stuff you’d need.

About a week too late for me :joy::joy::joy:

Bought a DAS6, pads etc over the weekend.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Got round to starting my car tonight. Thanks to @Dan.86 for the polisher and @Davey@Procar for the pads, polish, replacement 5in baking plate and bag or micro fibre cloths.

20180602_164250.jpg

I really didn't know what to expect. A nice and shiney car that's easier on the hands/back? How I was wrong. Never held a polisher in my life and the outcomes I was able to get made the money spent worth it.

My car has been looked after since I've had it, but the paint has always annoyed me. Scratched up and swirled, no matter how well I washed it. Foamed, washed, clayed, polished and waxed, it always looked bad.

A few days ago, some p***k has sprayed red paint into the air and the overspray had landed on my car. Clayed off and now polished, I'm much happier with how the car is looking. So far, I've been able to get the bonnet, front bumper and both wings done. I'll get the car finished tomorrow.

The overspray,

20180602_142031.jpg

Before and afters

IMG_2018-06-04_21-13-09.JPG

IMG_2018-06-05_00-56-19.JPG

My overall opinion, this is not the perfect finish, but it certainly takes the bad look off the car. It's now looking as good as I can expect it to be and well worth the investment of time and money. If anyone is a fence on buying a beginner polishing setup, my advice is to bite the bullet and buy it. You might not use it all the time, but it's so easy to use and results are good enough for a non-detailing eye.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
My overall opinion, this is not the perfect finish, but it certainly takes the bad look off the car. It's now looking as good as I can expect it to be and well worth the investment of time and money. If anyone is a fence on buying a beginner polishing setup, my advice is to bite the bullet and buy it. You might not use it all the time, but it's so easy to use and results are good enough for a non-detailing eye.

My thoughts exactly. I used mine a few weeks ago and was glad that I bought it. Takes ages but its worth it.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Got round to starting my car tonight. Thanks to @Dan.86 for the polisher and @Davey@Procar for the pads, polish, replacement 5in baking plate and bag or micro fibre cloths.

View attachment 195175

I really didn't know what to expect. A nice and shiney car that's easier on the hands/back? How I was wrong. Never held a polisher in my life and the outcomes I was able to get made the money spent worth it.

My car has been looked after since I've had it, but the paint has always annoyed me. Scratched up and swirled, no matter how well I washed it. Foamed, washed, clayed, polished and waxed, it always looked bad.

A few days ago, some p***k has sprayed red paint into the air and the overspray had landed on my car. Clayed off and now polished, I'm much happier with how the car is looking. So far, I've been able to get the bonnet, front bumper and both wings done. I'll get the car finished tomorrow.

The overspray,

View attachment 195176

Before and afters

View attachment 195177

View attachment 195178

What were your steps? How long did it take?

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I'm half about 2/3 of the way through the Subaru myself with a DAS6 and the megs 105/205 set up with lake country pads...as said it takes a lot of time, easily 2 full days but the results can be very satisfying for the beginner, I got rid of 90% of scratches out and any washing swirls are gone.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
What were your steps? How long did it take?

Wash, clay, dry, then Megs compound and finished wwith the Ultrafina. I was taking my time doing it, so im probably not a bench mark. Id say about 3 hours for the bonnet, bumper and both front wings. I also procrastinated a bit and took photos too haha

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Wash, clay, dry, then Megs compound and finished wwith the Ultrafina. I was taking my time doing it, so im probably not a bench mark. Id say about 3 hours for the bonnet, bumper and both front wings. I also procrastinated a bit and took photos too haha

I bought some Megs compound there last week with a hope of some hand polishing to remove swirls. Not a mission, now fancy trying a DA out and seeing if can make any progress. Have my bonnet and bootlid clayed and all in prep.
@wonka do you still have a DA lying about I could borrow for a weekend to have a wee go?

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Rather than do a Lyons and go ahead and buy a DA and never use it :p

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
I bought some Megs compound there last week with a hope of some hand polishing to remove swirls. Not a mission, now fancy trying a DA out and seeing if can make any progress. Have my bonnet and bootlid clayed and all in prep.
@wonka do you still have a DA lying about I could borrow for a weekend to have a wee go?

Never mind, my wee brother has one in the garage at home. Will give it a whirl. Can't be worse than it's current, i actually nicknamed the car Swirly McSwirlswirl.

Deleted member 13907

D
Its
Never mind, my wee brother has one in the garage at home. Will give it a whirl. Can't be worse than it's current, i actually nicknamed the car Swirly McSwirlswirl.
It's there if you need it - I can send it with Rebekah some day if you want.
Think I need a new back plate though - think the velcro was coming off or something the last time I used it.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Finished the car tonight. I'd say I'm about 10 hours into it and that's not incl the roof. Achieved what I set out, a shiny car. There are still scratches in the paint etc, but I'm not bothered about that, there are swirl marks gone though, for sure.

Another before/after of the fuel cap,

IMG_2018-06-05_19-40-18.JPG

And a few photos of the finished article,

20180605_215128.jpg

20180605_215057.jpg

20180605_215224.jpg

Should I now wax the car, or is the Ultrafina SE 50383 a finisher and doesn't need anything after application?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Sorry, I had planned to take a photo of the stuff this morning and reply to your PM but I forgot before getting in to the car! I’ll do it this evening.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Finished the car tonight. I'd say I'm about 10 hours into it and that's not incl the roof. Achieved what I set out, a shiny car. There are still scratches in the paint etc, but I'm not bothered about that, there are swirl marks gone though, for sure.

Another before/after of the fuel cap,

View attachment 195299

And a few photos of the finished article,

View attachment 195302
View attachment 195301
View attachment 195303

Should I now wax the car, or is the Ultrafina SE 50383 a finisher and doesn't need anything after application?

That is fantastic, and I’m sure so rewarding. I just don’t think I could spare the time it takes :worried:.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
That is fantastic, and I’m sure so rewarding. I just don’t think I could spare the time it takes :worried:.

Thanks Iain, I'm justifying it as an 'investment of time' but the wife didn't see it that way :joy::joy: