Super Unleaded NI

genman

G
It was just at keele Motorway services this morning so to be expected price wise, would be hard to stomach that every day :laughing:
one place id avoid at those prices or just put enough in to get to the next station
Loads of places around Belfast now running SUL. . my local is a Texaco on the Antrim rd.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
itll open a big debate!

in short

Topaz bought over Shell, it was then implied that all Topaz Super was still imported and is basically Shell V-power. cannot confirm or disagree, but logging in back to back fuel tests shows Topaz to be the better of all SUL in NI

I dont believe for one second Topaz sell V-Power here...or indeed Circle K or whatever is going on there.

And whether people like BP or not, or any local fuel, it's all we have ! And unless needing over say 6-700hp...it works just fine.

The way things are going, we could end up with no SUL at all, especially if people push for a UI or more closely integrated with Europe ! lol.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
OP
quattro Rick
Drives
quattro / M796
Maybe we should buy a tank and bunker some V-power ! :grinning::laughing:

If we get everyone to chip in for a nice Scania or Volvo with a tanker I'll gladly do the ADR and back and forth from England with a full load of Vpower :joy:

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
The BP ultimate we have has caused issues for us for cars running high 300s trying to make 420bhp (a couple of MK2 Focus RS) and other cars aiming for 500 - 600bhp.

It’s a pain in the hole trying to work around it but as it’s all we have then the simple answer has been to live with it and have the cars mapped on our fuel. Or make adaptations if going for higher power.

It would be nice to have access to better fuel but c’est la vie. At least this will be the super unleaded debate done and dusted for another few months :laughing::joy:

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
OP
quattro Rick
Drives
quattro / M796
I dont believe for one second Topaz sell V-Power here...or indeed Circle K or whatever is going on there.

And whether people like BP or not, or any local fuel, it's all we have ! And unless needing over say 6-700hp...it works just fine.

The way things are going, we could end up with no SUL at all, especially if people push for a UI or more closely integrated with Europe ! lol.

With out a doubt we don't get Vpower! The SUL across the board is a questionable 97 nevermind 99.

It's strange that all of Europe have Vpower and I've seen 102 Ron available yet ireland an EU member state won't sell anything over 95....

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Can get super in broughshane I think it’s a texaco.
Other than that it’s templepatrick or randalstown for bp or the new Maxol between ballymena and Antrim have super too. Annoying none in my actual town

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
And Topaz / Circle K out at Nutts Corner.
Didn't realise the Maxol on the Ballymena line had it, I stopped there on the way to a multi venue auto test earlier in the year but couldn't see any. I was in a bit of a hurry though.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The BP ultimate we have has caused issues for us for cars running high 300s trying to make 420bhp (a couple of MK2 Focus RS) and other cars aiming for 500 - 600bhp.

It’s a pain in the hole trying to work around it but as it’s all we have then the simple answer has been to live with it and have the cars mapped on our fuel. Or make adaptations if going for higher power.

It would be nice to have access to better fuel but c’est la vie. At least this will be the super unleaded debate done and dusted for another few months :laughing::joy:

If you cant make over 400 with ease...something is seriously wrong with the build/tuning. The fuel is not a limitation at that low level.

Build/tune it right and the fuel is fine. Even 500hp is a doddle.

MarkM

RMS Regular

My Evo was mapped on ultimate @550bhp and no issues at all, the few times I filled with Maxol it pulled timing and ran like a bag of spanners

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
The issues we’ve had have been with the different cars at reputable tuners and built correctly, with the right parts and mapped by them. I didn’t post up to debate, I posted what’s been said by MSD, Mark Shead and Norris. If you put fuel in from across the water it then makes the power fine.

It’s a bit of a stretch to say 400bhp is easily achievable across every engine full stop. The stuff I’m taking about ranges from a CVH through to Cossie lump and newer RS Focus. Of course there’ll be differences with different engines and compression ratios etc

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
My Evo was mapped on ultimate @550bhp and no issues at all, the few times I filled with Maxol it pulled timing and ran like a bag of spanners

Those are good figures and that’s a good result for the Evo (y)

Mark King

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
If you cant make over 400 with ease...something is seriously wrong with the build/tuning. The fuel is not a limitation at that low level.

Build/tune it right and the fuel is fine. Even 500hp is a doddle.

Yea it’s doable on our fuel with the correct pistons and spec etc. But if you want more power without engine change it’s harder work.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
It was a great car, on those rare days when it was 100% well shot of it though, money pit!

I still find myself watching Evo videos on YouTube and pricing them up on Autotrader once a month. The one AI built for Phil D always sticks out in my mind. Still class cars :cool:

MarkM

RMS Regular
I still find myself watching Evo videos on YouTube and pricing them up on Autotrader once a month. The one AI built for Phil D always sticks out in my mind. Still class cars :cool:

Ai built mine, no one better imo, the problem is there’s just far too much available for them, they completely ruin you financially :joy: By the time you’ve sorted the power, suspension, bought Advans and have it dripping in Damd carbon you’re ****ed :dizzy:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Yea it’s doable on our fuel with the correct pistons and spec etc. But if you want more power without engine change it’s harder work.

Again...build it right and it is easy. There's no fault with the fuel though, It is what it is. It hasnt changed, it doesnt change... In the same way if you broke a std rod going for say 600hp...well it isnt the fault of the rod.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Bob Rawle has got to the stage he won’t map a car if it’s on bp ultimate. Always gets bad results on it.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The issues we’ve had have been with the different cars at reputable tuners and built correctly, with the right parts and mapped by them. I didn’t post up to debate, I posted what’s been said by MSD, Mark Shead and Norris. If you put fuel in from across the water it then makes the power fine.

It’s a bit of a stretch to say 400bhp is easily achievable across every engine full stop. The stuff I’m taking about ranges from a CVH through to Cossie lump and newer RS Focus. Of course there’ll be differences with different engines and compression ratios etc

I never said across every engine. Obviously say an old Mini would be harder. And as I said, build/tune it right and it is easy. If you choose to ignore build aspects for the end goal, well again, it isnt a fault of the fuel.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
I’m trying to keep things simple here. If we buy the exact same parts and follow the tuning process that the same car does in England, on English fuel. And we go to the same tuner, in England, our cars have struggled to make the power. Then if we put in their fuel, they make the power. That’s a pretty straight forward assessment.

I’m not sure if you’re trying to say that if you build it right and tune it right for our fuel then you can make the power. Because that’s obviously right. I’m just trying to compare apples with apples and the fuel obviously does indeed cause issues when comparing like for like. That’s coming from much smarter people than me in the tuning world for those specific engines.

I mentioned across every engine because the examples I was taking about ranged across 30+ years of different engines / tech.

There have been others on here that have mentioned having issues with their mapping and our fuel, outside of Ford circles. To just ignore all of that and say the fuel isn’t an issue is either crossed wires or I’m not sure what.

Mark King

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
I’m trying to keep things simple here. If we buy the exact same parts and follow the tuning process that the same car does in England, on English fuel. And we go to the same tuner, in England, our cars have struggled to make the power. Then if we put in their fuel, they make the power. That’s a pretty straight forward assessment.

I’m not sure if you’re trying to say that if you build it right and tune it right for our fuel then you can make the power. Because that’s obviously right. I’m just trying to compare apples with apples and the fuel obviously does indeed cause issues when comparing like for like. That’s coming from much smarter people than me in the tuning world for those specific engines.

I mentioned across every engine because the examples I was taking about ranged across 30+ years of different engines / tech.

There have been others on here that have mentioned having issues with their mapping and our fuel, outside of Ford circles. To just ignore all of that and say the fuel isn’t an issue is either crossed wires or I’m not sure what.
But remember @stevieturbo dosent like simple things on here lol.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
I've never read into it or researched it so this is a completely naive thing to suggest, but since we have access to aviation fuel, surely some sort of dilution ratio would be an alternative, like a 2 stroke hedge cutter or strimmer? adding 1 part aviation fuel to 10 parts super? something like that to get a higher ron number? I know it would be a technical exercise to work it out correctly, but maybe it would be worth mixing batches for those higher performance machines out there.
I have a close friend who would use it in his karts for racing.