New car suggestions

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
What are the requirements?

bit of power with leg room for carrying passengers
boot space for shopping
something about Ikea
budget 15-20k

Is that it?

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
1565860753114.png

Does everything you need, with change.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular

If you enter exactly what you want into that website it will give you lots of different cars. Probably easier than asking people on a forum.
Yeah i know, but I'd like a bit of help with regards which is better out of a shortlist.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
What are the requirements?

bit of power with leg room for carrying passengers
boot space for shopping
something about Ikea
budget 15-20k

Is that it?
Yes but . . .
Not red , and not diesel.
"A bit of power" is the bit thats throwing this thread off , "As long as it's not a dead horse" would be more apt.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yes but . . .
Not red , and not diesel.
"A bit of power" is the bit thats throwing this thread off , "As long as it's not a dead horse" would be more apt.

I know it's not exactly the best measurement but it's a yard stick all manufacturers use - what 0-60 region are you thinking? Sub 10 seconds?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
I don't see the point in buying an estate for the odd time you go to Ikea. Unless you're never out of the place or consistently ferrying 4-5 people around.

But fair enough, I'm out. Enjoy.
It's something we've noticed we need in the couple of years we've been together. The Ikea thing is just an example. Moving stuff between houses , buying furniture or the likes, going to the dump as I'm not allowed the van in.

I don't mind if "You're out" , most of your suggestions are way off anyway.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
I know it's not exactly the best measurement but it's a yard stick all manufacturers use - what 0-60 region are you thinking? Sub 10 seconds?
I honestly don't know , I've never drove an estate. The "power" part was really because any we've looked up have had like 1.5l engines and 140bhp which to me sounds dead for an estate. But as i say , I've no idea.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I honestly don't know , I've never drove an estate. The "power" part was really because any we've looked up have had like 1.5l engines and 140bhp which to me sounds dead for an estate. But as i say , I've no idea.

They'll be quicker than the Levorg so should be OK if you were happy with it.

Had a 150bhp A4 1.4 TFSI which is the older version of the 1.5's, and it was absolutely fine. The wife liked it and aside from turbo lag at low RPM's it went fairly well for what it was. Wouldn't stick £20k of my own hard earned into one but as a cheap lease it was spot on. I'd actually buy one now that they're in/around the £10k mark.

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
no idea what these are like to drive or anything, but perhaps mazda 6 estate? Think they're circa 160/165bhp.

or Peugeot 308 sw gt. circa 220bhp I think. couldn't see any for sale locally though but perhaps dealers could find one?

just another couple of options that aren't the usual answer.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
They'll be quicker than the Levorg so should be OK if you were happy with it.

Had a 150bhp A4 1.4 TFSI which is the older version of the 1.5's, and it was absolutely fine. The wife liked it and aside from turbo lag at low RPM's it went fairly well for what it was. Wouldn't stick £20k of my own hard earned into one but as a cheap lease it was spot on. I'd actually buy one now that they're in/around the £10k mark.
Yeah see it the happy medium we're looking for. Doesn't need to set the road alight. We'd sacrifice a top engine spec for a better cabbin spec or age for the 15/20k budget

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Yeah see it the happy medium we're looking for. Doesn't need to set the road alight. We'd sacrifice a top engine spec for a better cabbin spec or age for the 15/20k budget

What are you looking for in cabin spec? Most “top engine spec” cars have whatever you’d need really anyway.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
What are you looking for in cabin spec? Most “top engine spec” cars have whatever you’d need really anyway.
I'm more thinking along the likes of you could have the choice of an AMG merc which is high power and spec but 2008 with 80k miles, Or a Peugeot with an average engine but spec'd to the hilt at a year old and 5k miles.
I just need genuine suggestions to make a shortlist and then i can compare against eachother.

I just worry we're heading into big money cars , maintenance wise , just because they're massive engine things that we don't need.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I'm more thinking along the likes of you could have the choice of an AMG merc which is high power and spec but 2008 with 80k miles, Or a Peugeot with an average engine but spec'd to the hilt at a year old and 5k miles.
I just need genuine suggestions to make a shortlist and then i can compare against eachother.

I just worry we're heading into big money cars , maintenance wise , just because they're massive engine things that we don't need.

I agree a 2008 AMG isn’t suitable, hence none of my suggestions have been similar. And I can appreciate your annoyance at folk posting stuff like this. However, you can have big power, spec, cheap running costs and everything else in your spec for under budget in some examples which have been linked.

As I say I am with you on people posting stuff which blatantly doesn’t fit the bill (though we are all car people and some are just thinking outside the box). But you seem to have ignored legitimate options and opted for something which people have all (bar 1) advised against!

Mels original criteria was for something sporty for the first time in years. I can’t see how anyone could get out of a 1.6 Levorg with a big smile on their face every time. And I’m not putting them down, because I like the look of them etc, but I just don’t think it’s the answer!

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
My old aunt has had these as last 10 years or so and totally swears by them .gets a new one every 2 years .great for them getting in and out of and there’s massive amounts of room .never a thing has went wrong with any of them.

If she's getting a new one every 2 years no wonder nothing goes wrong with them! I'd expect the same from a Dacia !

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.