Whats going on with MOT Availability at the moment?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I got 2 extensions on my 4yr old car but they retracted the 2nd one. Apparently if a car is due its 1st MOT, it only gets 1 extension.

The P* was the same. Got extended in May and then called in before Christmas. It was really easy though. With so few getting called in you have complete pick of time and location, no messing about waiting for cancellations, etc. And no queues once there. Most painless MoT every to be honest.

I assumed it would have been extended by now. This would be its 2nd extension, it normally gets its MOT in July.
Did you check here?

Looks like the "normal" dates are basically out the window now. The Lotus would normally be due in March but now says May.

I expect they will keep extending beyond 12 months, there's no other choice really. But I don't know if there is any policy on that yet. There must be cars going past that now. It's not entirely clear on the DVA web site.

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
The P* was the same. Got extended in May and then called in before Christmas. It was really easy though. With so few getting called in you have complete pick of time and location, no messing about waiting for cancellations, etc. And no queues once there. Most painless MoT every to be honest.

Did you check here?

Looks like the "normal" dates are basically out the window now. The Lotus would normally be due in March but now says May.

I expect they will keep extending beyond 12 months, there's no other choice really. But I don't know if there is any policy on that yet. There must be cars going past that now. It's not entirely clear on the DVA web site.
One of our cars is due first MOT in feb. Booked it online yesterday for end of Jan in Mallusk - no bother.

Statler

RMS Regular
Drives
Slowly ;-)
My 4 year old was MOT'd at 3 yrs in England, extended to 27th Jan 2021 last July. So it's gone 18 months without MOT inspection

Just got an MOT reminder and a tax reminder today.
Tax wouldn't let me renew as it claims there is no valid MOT certificate, despite the MOT being OK online. I guess it hasn't a vaild NI MOT, so now needs done.
Have just booked MOT in Ards for 15th January. First date that came up.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
@svensktoppen - that's the site I have been checking every few days, still showing January 18th. No big deal, I'll just not drive it until April and MOT it then if it does indeed expire.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I don't think the extensions show until close to or after the current expiry, so you may be good. Time will tell, no other way to know!

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
I have two cars due in Feb, the later one has been extended but the earlier one hasn't 🤔

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Have been told on good authority that MOT extension can't go over 1 year as a car has to have had an MOT within the last 24months or it is illegal to use on the road (those that are MOT exempt obviously an exception). Mine shows as expiring in Feb, was extended from April last year so I may stick it through. Don't think it's done 2k miles even as barely left the driveway over 1st lockdown and had it in for a service and bits and bobs recently so should be grand.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Have been told on good authority that MOT extension can't go over 1 year as a car has to have had an MOT within the last 24months or it is illegal to use on the road (those that are MOT exempt obviously an exception). Mine shows as expiring in Feb, was extended from April last year so I may stick it through. Don't think it's done 2k miles even as barely left the driveway over 1st lockdown and had it in for a service and bits and bobs recently so should be grand.
My TT was due Feb 2020, had been extended various times and was at Feb this year (as was my civic due in September extended till Feb) checked just before christmas the TT was extended for a further 6months till August 2021, so I've 18 months since first extention now! Civic is still Feb. TTs barely done 1k miles last year.

Acrm

RMS Member
Car will be seven years old this june, last MOT May 2019. In April 2020 got paper TEC to 21st September 2020 then extended to 21st Dec 2020. MOT checker now stating MOT expired although will not be 2 years from last test until this May. DVA site telling me not to book a test, where do I stand with this? I'm presuming an automatic extension still applies again just that site not updated due to holiday backlog 😕

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
Mot man said to me in work today there starting to mot cars that has a current exemption. So just keep an eye on the car mot check, forgot to ask if there will be letters sent out to people

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Car will be seven years old this june, last MOT May 2019. In April 2020 got paper TEC to 21st September 2020 then extended to 21st Dec 2020. MOT checker now stating MOT expired although will not be 2 years from last test until this May. DVA site telling me not to book a test, where do I stand with this? I'm presuming an automatic extension still applies again just that site not updated due to holiday backlog 😕

Ring them and ask. I don't think you're going to get an extension by the looks of things.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Mot man said to me in work today there starting to mot cars that has a current exemption. So just keep an eye on the car mot check, forgot to ask if there will be letters sent out to people

Do you mean if someone has an exemption that takes them up to April it may be called in earlier ?

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Folks cars were both due in Sept but have been extended to March, does anyone know if these are likly to be extended again?

I may get mine sorted for the start of Feb, shouldn't need anything as hasn't been used much and got a good going over and service a few months ago.

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
1 of mine got an extension to 21st jan from July, the other to the 2nd Feb from August.
I can't see any further extensions so I've just booked them both in for mot

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
My car was due March 2020, got extended due to ramp issues then covid and now showing due 1st March.

They def said previously that 1yr was maximum extension so I’ve booked a test for early February and I’ll cancel it if I get a further extension.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
My car was due March 2020, got extended due to ramp issues then covid and now showing due 1st March.

They def said previously that 1yr was maximum extension so I’ve booked a test for early February and I’ll cancel it if I get a further extension.
Think that's the thing to do. As I say I've been told on good authority that it's illegal to drive a vehicle that hasn't been tested within the last 24months. Someone else could maybe confirm this??

JH86

RMS Regular
I'm treating mot as how they have allways been, book it plenty of availability etc and an extention is a bonus,

Had one up for test last night at 7

Yet ones on an extention runs out in Feb so just a regular test for it, unless a cheeky extension is re applied

Also a drift car that got an extention for 6 months 😂 I'll take that but won't even try and test it 😂

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I’ve an extension to June but I’m debating trying for an appointment anyway so I have a year. I’m sure it’s going to be a disaster when they do start testing again