Bangernomics - Post Your Cheap Daily Finds and Hacks

purplea4T

RMS Regular
The market has went absolutely ape**** this past wee while, moreso in the past 6 months, theres very little sub 1k. I've always had a mk4 Golf lying around, last one was an 03 1.8t with leather and sunroof. Mid 30s to the gallon all the time and I've found them to be reliable and cheap for bits. Sold it in February and wish I hadn't, replaced in with a cheap (£1300) TT cabriolet which was actually a nice wee car when I'd ironed out the niggles of poor maintenance and lack of love. Sold that and bought the daughter her first car - mk5 Golf with 161k on it! I'm dailying it and its not actually a bad wee car. Needed wings and a bit of paint on the bonnet but decent enough. Cheap for bits especially as it's the 1.4.
I quite enjoy the fixes and making something look better than it was, but couldn't live with it as my one and only car.
IMG_20210120_154608.jpg
IMG_20210117_124235.jpg
IMG_20210627_153435.jpg
IMG_20210628_193211.jpg
IMG_20210710_163536.jpg
IMG_20210710_163543.jpg
IMG_20210710_172259.jpg
IMG_20210717_193912.jpg
IMG_20210731_161336.jpg
IMG_20210731_170533.jpg

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
This was my go to for 12 years, even though the driveway had many a nice motor sitting in it (golf R, GTI, S3, M135,JCW). Head to Dublin..take the CRV, head to the beach..take the CRV..head to get the shopping.. take the CRV
Only sold it in July.
Its a 2005 petrol auto, returning 25-28mpg.
Cost me very little in repair bills and that pic is from the forsale ad, so cleaned up well

IMG_1961.jpeg

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Due to the rushed sale if my 16 Golf GTI due to a deal done on a Golf GTi Clubsport that needed a bit of prep I needed a cheap car and tbh I wanted a cheap car as I've recently been thinking about buying a wee van but they're actually not cheap.........

Behold, the 07 Focus Tdci style (bit short on style 😂) but a great driving car that's cheap to run, tax and buy 2 owners from new and only 75000 miles...........

DSC_0187.JPG

People ask me what more would you want......well -

Parking sensors
Bluetooth
Heated screen
Armrest
4 speaker stereo

But it's fine to really. Treated it to 2 new wipers as it still had the originals on and they where well past their best! Compounded it, polished it and painted the wheel trims.

Its now my only sensible car as the Clubsport went Pete tong and fresh cars in general are currently just too expensive imo so I'll sit back, wait, and drive this old Focus

Last edited:

ItsAdamC

RMS Regular
Drives
Baguettes
20210715_194526.jpg

Bought this for £150 a few months ago, still tested until next month. All I've done is fit a timing belt and wheel bearing, it still stands me less than £200!

Have to say it's done a perfect job of driving me to and from work and carting the dogs about without worrying about them wrecking it. Think I'll stick it through the MOT and see if I can get another year out of it. I always grow weirdly fond of cheap **** boxes 🤦‍♂️

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Fond new owner of @NickR octavia (good to meet you surrr). I have basically been daily driving my m3 for the last couple of years but work has gotten terrible with parking and I hate leaving it at the airport let alone the cringe when it cold starts at 5am LOL.

Decent driving thing with a surprisingly punchy engine. There are a few aftermarket mods including a tow bar, air freshener and a random little switch below the headlight switch that doesn’t appear to do anything.

60F83186-94D5-409F-A496-8F36CD2BEEA2.jpeg
03F231EF-1B6B-48CF-BA7C-69303D386D66.jpeg

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Fond new owner of @NickR octavia (good to meet you surrr). I have basically been daily driving my m3 for the last couple of years but work has gotten terrible with parking and I hate leaving it at the airport let alone the cringe when it cold starts at 5am LOL.

Decent driving thing with a surprisingly punchy engine. There are a few aftermarket mods including a tow bar, air freshener and a random little switch below the headlight switch that doesn’t appear to do anything.

View attachment 335036View attachment 335037
Good to meet you too mate. Hope it serves you as well as it did me 👍

I couldn't work out what the switch was for either 🤔

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Good to meet you too mate. Hope it serves you as well as it did me 👍

I couldn't work out what the switch was for either 🤔
Any chance it used to be a taxi and the switch was for turning the roofbar lights on? 🤔

Reactions: ALN

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Any chance it used to be a taxi and the switch was for turning the roofbar lights on? 🤔
Quite possible, there are a couple of little screw holes in the centre console.

Paul.

RMS Regular
I remember somebody on PistonHeads talking about an E34 with a mysterious switch they bought. Turned out it switched the rear lights off. :eek: Maybe the Octavia’s also been modified for ‘business’ use.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I always grow weirdly fond of cheap **** boxes 🤦‍♂️

This is it. I’ve had loads over the years. Proper cheap sheds and one of the things I loved the most is having it sitting mint. Some stuff doesn’t need much to bring it back up to almost like new.

About 15 years ago I bought a MK3 Astra for £250 ish. It had 30k miles on it and looked rough as balls and basically ready for trailing wheelie bins up the driveway. Took it home, tidied it over a weekend and stuck new wheel trims and bits on it and I was tortured with people wanting to buy it.

Eventually a mate won me over and I sold it to him with 45k on the clock for about £500. He got another 100k out of it before it was eventually written off and in that time all it really needed was a timing belt and head gasket. He treated it like crap though so it looked like a bit of a shed again after 6 months neglect and about a year or two after that a complete embarrassment altogether.

One of the other things I noticed is that although some running sheds seem to think others in fancy cars are looking down their noses at them, I’ve found it to be the opposite most of the time.

Many times I’ve rocked up to school to drop the boys off and another parent has commented about a ‘fancy’ jag or look at you in your posh Audi convertible when they’ve just hopped out of a 2021 Defender with optional side bolted luggage rack yokes, probably worth more than my car on their own. Even had the head teacher come running out of their office to look round the Golf last year despite them owning a nearly new Q3.

Its a funny old world.

eamon343

RMS Regular
I had a switch like that in my old mk3 golf, it had a habit of doing funny things with its windows when you locked it. So you would come back to the car and all the windows are down. My dad never believed me and always blamed me until he was in the drive way and all the windows started going up and down by themselves. So they swith killed all power to the windows

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
BA4C08DD-1AB4-43C5-8BEF-3756AA063A8E.jpeg

9AE04259-CE28-45CA-8D87-095BBEE89D36.jpeg

680C5F71-E75B-49A5-97E8-1A592D2C6309.jpeg

315F4267-89D2-42D8-BEAA-F051C040055C.png

My stop gap near 3.5 years ago….Cheapest car I’ve owned and the by far the most reliable.

160,500 miles on it now and it is still so good

everyone should have a volvo v70 in their life…. If there’s one for sale and your looking a cheap reliable runabout… go buy it!

163bhp remap 205/225, enough to keep you entertained during your daily duties

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
One of the other things I noticed is that although some running sheds seem to think others in fancy cars are looking down their noses at them, I’ve found it to be the opposite most of the time.
I've found the same, all the lads in Spain loved the old Rover because it was the Team Bus. Used to get people coming over at petrol stations to talk about the Alfas quite often too. People in brand new quite expensive cars have a secret love for old chod.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
I had a switch like that in my old mk3 golf, it had a habit of doing funny things with its windows when you locked it. So you would come back to the car and all the windows are down. My dad never believed me and always blamed me until he was in the drive way and all the windows started going up and down by themselves. So they swith killed all power to the windows
The red estate?

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Octavia was the first car I bought for myself that broke the £1k mark really. Anyone can pay a fortune and get a good car, there's work involved buying a decent car for a grand :laughing: Had to spend a bit more for sensible family cars for the Mrs.