Home charging point

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Getting some quotes to fit a Tesla charger at my house, does £300+VAT sound about right?
Cheap as chips if it includes the charger. I got quoted £712 for a SyncEV one and that’s with the £350 grant - would have been £1012.

Still need to sort this. Any recommendations for installers that I could contact?

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Getting some quotes to fit a Tesla charger at my house, does £300+VAT sound about right?
Prices I've been getting are charger plus £350 for standard fitment and the OLEV grant basically takes care of fitment costs.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Seems a lot cheaper than indication quotes I got. Sadly neither of the companies I contacted have given me a proper quote despite with one of them me filling a long detailed online survey.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Who did you get to quote?
Sam1 solutions. Their basic rate is £589 installed for some unit I’d never heard of or +50 for a Wallbox.

Who did you get to quote?
Sorry my bad, just checked my emails and it’s £400 for standard fitment.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Sam1 solutions. Their basic rate is £589 installed for some unit I’d never heard of or +50 for a Wallbox.

Sorry my bad, just checked my emails and it’s £400 for standard fitment.
Cheers 👍🏻 I’ll give them a shout on Monday

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
My meter box is red but I'd like to park at yellow. Can the charger be extended round that far without being a) a fortune to do and b) not ugly as sh*t? It would be across a garage door and round a sunroom.

Screenshot_20220101-110055_Maps.jpg

davyk31

RMS Regular
Can you go underground or is it a tarmac or finished surface? A cable around the house would be pretty ugly.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Yellow is tarmac, but just to the left of yellow to red is brick pavers so maybe an option.

Another option would be to put the charger at the back and an external 3 pin socket at the front for day to day charging.

davyk31

RMS Regular
3 pin socket will be so slow you really would only use it if you don’t have a charger. Presumably you wont charge every day so even if it’s a bit out of the way its not a major issue.
Or just go underground and get the charger where exactly you want it. Burying a small cable won’t be too hard to do and once there it’s done.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
My meter box is red but I'd like to park at yellow. Can the charger be extended round that far without being a) a fortune to do and b) not ugly as sh*t? It would be across a garage door and round a sunroom.

View attachment 345462

It can be wherever you want, it’s just a run of cable. The one I installed was a 40m run using 6mm cable. You’ll likely need a second cable to monitor load too

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
My neighbour has their charger installed on the gable and the meter box is at the front door. Cable running round the front of the house looks sh1te.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Anyone had an Anderson charger installed? I don’t like the look of the Hypervolt.
Looked at them but they’re wild dear.

Still haven’t sorted a charger yet. Got a quote for a Wallbox Pulsar + but I’d prefer untethered. EO is still my preferred box so have asked for a quote

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
The cable is expensive but as above can be ran as long as it needs to

I have 1 cable as it has the comms line built in, for a 25m run it was £200 or so from memory

I ran mine round the front of the house to my garage but I honestly don’t care about how it looks - it’s sort of under where the rendering edge is anyway and personally I’m not bothered about the looks

The front of my house already had cabling for fibre broadband and sky running along it so wasn’t perfect to start with

Burying it is the best option if the looks bothers you - you want the charger to be where you park every day otherwise it will become a pain

You can just about see it in the background if this picture

02053D1D-A4F1-434F-AC8D-E0E2BC1238A3.jpeg

davyk31

RMS Regular
I’m struggling to get anyone to even quote me. Thinking of just buying a charger myself and get it installed by my regular electricians and forget about the grant.
Liking the look of Zappi as I would be tempted by a solar panel system as my garage has a big south facing roof.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
I’m struggling to get anyone to even quote me. Thinking of just buying a charger myself and get it installed by my regular electricians and forget about the grant.
Liking the look of Zappi as I would be tempted by a solar panel system as my garage has a big south facing roof.

That’s what I did. Bought a podpoint from yess electrical and got my spark to install it.

I’m not sure about other chargers but pod point doesn’t require an earth spike which was important for where this one was installed.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Zappi are brilliant and is what I have as I have solar

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular

Have you had anyone out for a quote to install the solar panels?

davyk31

RMS Regular
That’s what I did. Bought a podpoint from yess electrical and got my spark to install it.

I’m not sure about other chargers but pod point doesn’t require an earth spike which was important for where this one was installed.

What kind of cost was it David? I got some indications from the couple of companies I tried which were quite high so I reckoned maybe doing it myself with no grant may be no more at worst.
Have you had anyone out for a quote to install the solar panels?

No not yet. Kinda speculating that some grant aid may come along but as with the chargers that may just be a reason for the installers to bump up the costs by the amount of the grant.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
What kind of cost was it David? I got some indications from the couple of companies I tried which were quite high so I reckoned maybe doing it myself with no grant may be no more at worst.

No not yet. Kinda speculating that some grant aid may come along but as with the chargers that may just be a reason for the installers to bump up the costs by the amount of the grant.

It depends on the price of the charger etc but the spark charged £450 but it was a 40m run of cable on a listed building with 2 foot thick walls etc so wasn’t the easiest install.

I think the charger was approx £550 plus cable etc