Home charging point

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
What kind of price is your install costing? The Andersen do look great.
Standard installation is £400 which is the price quoted on the Andersen website.

Costs £50 more than the grant and there’s a £20 delivery charge for the unit itself so £1065 all in.
Dear enough but it’s going on the front of the house to the right left of the front door as I didn’t want a cable running around the house to the gable
C642C181-25AA-45D2-A7B7-DCA8D74F5550.jpeg

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Standard installation is £400 which is the price quoted on the Andersen website.

Costs £50 more than the grant and there’s a £20 delivery charge for the unit itself so £1065 all in.
Dear enough but it’s going on the front of the house to the right left of the front door as I didn’t want a cable running around the house to the gable
View attachment 345993
Is your consumer unit near the front door then?

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
I have the Andersen on the way also, £1415 installed including the grant as I have to pay extra for a full day install instead of half day. My meter box and CU are at the exact opposite side of the house from the driveway, so they are going to run the cable up the side of the house, through the attic and down the other side. Should be much tidier than running cables across the house as the soil pipe will hide it going up and it can be run back down int he corner of the chimney.
Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 14.14.07.png

Ghost

RMS Regular
What kind of cost was it David? I got some indications from the couple of companies I tried which were quite high so I reckoned maybe doing it myself with no grant may be no more at worst.

No not yet. Kinda speculating that some grant aid may come along but as with the chargers that may just be a reason for the installers to bump up the costs by the amount of the grant.
There won't be any solar panel grants for at least 5 years. Solar is at the bottom of the renewable energy list.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Yes, straightforward install
View attachment 345994

I'm sure you've thought about this already but just be careful with the charging lead path to the car with that set-up. You're lying it across what I assume is the main point of entry into the house.

I know of two incidents with friends & neighbours with delivery drivers (one DHL & one pizza delivery) wrecking themselves on lead plugged into their cars at their houses. Not sure what the implications are of tripping someone up on your property but I'm always very wary of it here, even though ours runs parallel to the main route of entry.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
What about a post with charger on it in front of hedge and the run the cable up the hedge back to consumer unit?
Agree with @Coog comments.

Reactions: B.M

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
I'm sure you've thought about this already but just be careful with the charging lead path to the car with that set-up. You're lying it across what I assume is the main point of entry into the house.

I know of two incidents with friends & neighbours with delivery drivers (one DHL & one pizza delivery) wrecking themselves on lead plugged into their cars at their houses. Not sure what the implications are of tripping someone up on your property but I'm always very wary of it here, even though ours runs parallel to the main route of entry.
What about a post with charger on it in front of hedge and the run the cable up the hedge back to consumer unit?
Agree with @Coog comments.
Had thought about that.
Car will generally be charged at night. Anyone in my driveway after 11pm that trips over a charger lead have no real legitimate reason to be there other than if they’re up to no good.

Charger on a post would still mean lifting block paviors so that’s not an option either.

I could run the cable under a door mat when charging which would eliminate any trip hazard.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Do you want to wait until 11pm each night to go out and plug in the car once you are sure there are no visitors coming, welcome or otherwise. I would want to plug in as soon as I am home for the night and not have to go out later. On that basis I would think it’s wise to sort something to avoid trips as anyone tripping on your property can leave you liable.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Jesus my Amazon man should be 3 times over according to this. He delivers to the back door and has to navigate through a load of toys, 2 or 3 cats and half of the time a hose stretched across the garden 🤣

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
It's neater than the Virgin install.
It needs sorted. The router is in the back room (cables are servicing it and the phone which we don’t need either) and the vertical cable is no longer required. The front room is due a refurb so the router will be moved and cables taken internally as part of the rewire. They’re just pinned up out of the way for the time being.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Got my charger fitted yesterday. He has to come back to track the wall and bury the cable before the painter does the outside of the house. I didn’t want any cable showing, but he couldn’t get the cable down through the cavity.

3214ED51-4D7B-4400-AB70-DD671200DDE6.jpeg

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Had NIE round yesterday who threw a wobbler with the way PodPoint had installed their stuff in the NIE box. So no E7 electricity until it's sorted and the fella said that if/when they come to stick smart meters on the houses in the next couple of years I'd have to pay to have the install corrected. As it sits now PodPoint are going to sort it. What that means I don't know but check your installs people!

I know you highlighted this earlier to me @stevieturbo

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Had NIE round yesterday who threw a wobbler with the way PodPoint had installed their stuff in the NIE box. So no E7 electricity until it's sorted and the fella said that if/when they come to stick smart meters on the houses in the next couple of years I'd have to pay to have the install corrected. As it sits now PodPoint are going to sort it. What that means I don't know but check your installs people!

I know you highlighted this earlier to me @stevieturbo

Yep, and there is no doubt it will become a problem for a lot of EV charger installs that have been done.

It is convenient to do it this way.....but not correct

Was it a DIY install, or a grant job ? It'd be interesting to see if those getting the grants are doing that, or just people getting homers etc, not necessarily actual DIY as such.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Yep, and there is no doubt it will become a problem for a lot of EV charger installs that have been done.

It is convenient to do it this way.....but not correct

Was it a DIY install, or a grant job ? It'd be interesting to see if those getting the grants are doing that, or just people getting homers etc, not necessarily actual DIY as such.

Was a grant. Podpoint got defensive about it but conceded it should be sorted. I don’t know what I’m looking at in those cabinets never mind DIY it.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I assume these installs wouldn't impact your home insurance if they were installed into the NIE box and caught fire or some other such issue?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
We're looking at moving house so have shelved the charger idea until we see what happens, but what is the correct way to do it?

As already covered in earlier posts, it must be wired from a consumer unit. And "customers", ie. you, me, the public cannot install any of their equipment into the NIE's metering cupboard. ie. the enclosure on the outside of all properties for the last couple of decades.
The problem is in some properties actually wiring to the consumer unit inside the house, could be a nightmare.

I'll repeat the video.