Gaz86's 1994 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo II RS

Gaz86

RMS Regular
I hadn't ever planned on selling the MX5 but this sort of fell into my lap. A few weeks ago a friend asked me to remove some decals from his Mitsubishi Evo. I knew the car to be an early 90's model, presumably an Evo 3 but I was amazed when I saw it was an Evo 2. For those that don't know, the Evo 2 was the first Lancer to use the 2.0 turbocharged 4G63T engine which was used right up until the Evo 10 which used the 4B11T engine. From what I can gather the Evo 2 produced 252bhp, my friend had a set of high lift cams fitted. The car was imported into the UK around 2000 and driven until 2005 when he decided to strip out the interior and partake in one rally stage. After this it was put into dry storage and only started occasionally. Currently there are only 16 Evo 2's taxed on the road in all of the UK.

Last Thursday I had it up on ramps and a fellow mechanic checked it over. Despite an exhaust leak at the manifold the engine is sound, no oil around the engine or engine bay. Amazingly the underside is very solid, moreso than a lot of more modern Evo's I've seen. Just surface rust on the subframes and wishbones etc.

The plan at this stage is to drop the engine, subframes etc and have them blasted and powder coated and treat the whole underside with POR-15 to prevent any future rust issues. The rest of the bodywork will be resprayed it's original Scotia White and potentially given a full rally livery. I plan on changing the Speedlines for some Enkei RPF1's in either white or gold, not really sure yet.

IMG_20220327_180026.jpg
IMG_20220327_180050.jpg
IMG_20220327_180129.jpg
IMG_20220327_180118.jpg

Last edited:

Darragh

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra TT6
Looks class, my brother gonna advertise his Evo 3 soon , they are class cars and very fast, just make sure to keep it away during winter, the metal on them is very very very VERY thin lol

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Looks class, my brother gonna advertise his Evo 3 soon , they are class cars and very fast, just make sure to keep it away during winter, the metal on them is very very very VERY thin lol

Is that Caolan's? Think I saw it on your Instagram a couple of weeks ago? It'll not be out in winter don't worry lol

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Class. Did your mate keep the interior and are you refitting it?

Yeah the whole interior is still there 👍🏻

Class. Did you actually buy it then?

Haven't exchanged cash yet but he's said it's as good as mine. He wants it to go to someone who will appreciate the car and restore it to its former glory and knows how picky I am

Darragh

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra TT6
Is that Caolan's? Think I saw it on your Instagram a couple of weeks ago? It'll not be out in winter don't worry lol

Yea everytime we try to sell we get timewasters and idiots lol he is only selling as he wants a change to a Lexus ISF V8 but I’ve nearly convinced him to buy a rally prep Rwd KP61 starlet lol, I love driving the Evo , they are so fast and enjoyable, you won’t be disappointed with it 😎

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Love it, and old mate of mine had a white evo 3 back in the early 00’s and we had some craic in it out and about round Dunmurry and Derriaghy direction, it was just an exhaust and a bit more boost but it was a flying machine, it loved to throw the tail out at any opportunity. I’m wondering if it’s still around

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
Love it, and old mate of mine had a white evo 3 back in the early 00’s and we had some craic in it out and about round Dunmurry and Derriaghy direction, it was just an exhaust and a bit more boost but it was a flying machine, it loved to throw the tail out at any opportunity. I’m wondering if it’s still around

Yes I'm told this is tail happy too lol just as well I'm well accustomed to RWD then 😜

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I’d be of the same opinion, not that it really matters. I think they should just stay as raw and factory looking as possible and maybe do a few tweaks with the engine, brakes and suspension if anything, once you start changing the looks Of something that age and 90’s era it starts to devalue them but at the end of the day it’s your car!

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
A livery can be easily removed if I get bored of it. May or may not happen. Its very low down on the list tbh. Not planning on messing with the engine much other than replacing the straight through exhaust with something like a Fujitsubo system. There is a set of coilovers in it at the moment but they're a fair age now and will likely be replaced with another set of MeisterR's.

stevyg

RMS Regular
These are brilliant. Didn't know there were only 16 registered in the UK. I brought 4 of these II's over from Japan back in 05-06, I know one of them was stolen and burned out. Wish I knew the VINs.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
These are brilliant. Didn't know there were only 16 registered in the UK. I brought 4 of these II's over from Japan back in 05-06, I know one of them was stolen and burned out. Wish I knew the VINs.

There are 40 odd SORN, this being one of them. I only know of one other up in Derry/L'derry.

Meeting with the bodywork guy tomorrow evening to discuss the plans 👍🏻

Gaz86

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz86
I had one of the sales guys in work run a check on the car for peace of mind, just to see what history is held against it and it came back all clear which is reassuring 😊

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
There are 2-3 of these in rally guise in NI, as a mate owned them all at one stage. If you need any bits, he may well still have stuff left, as I know he'd a garage full of spares.