£3000 hot hatch

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

8vmk2

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172 CUP
planning on purchasing a new car within the next coue of weeks and just want some ideas.

something in the form of hot hatch is pretty much the only criteria. modern would be nice, reliable is a must.

having £3000 to spend ive been looking mostly at 1.8t mk4 gti golfs but wouldnt mind a change from VW as ill be keeping my mk2 as well.

172/182 clio
mk4 golf
ep3 civic type R

are the main cars ive been looking at, any advice on daily life with these cars or other viable options not listed?

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Mk4 Golf??? Hot Hatch??? Really??? More like soft, ill-handling, dreary day-to-day beater than "hot", even the R32 head of the heard handles like a wet sh*te

Most Civic Type R's at that money are hanging out of their ar*e

Clio for me for outright value for money.

8vmk2

RMS Regular
OP
8vmk2
Drives
Clio 172 CUP
arnt the 1.8t's capable of decent power with some work though? id be surprised if any options available handled as well as my mk2 golf to be honest so handling isnt the deciding factor, maybe i should rename the thread "faster than usual hatchback wanted"

i agree about the civics at that price but with plenty to choose from im sure theres a needle in a haystack somewhere?

clios look fun but ive only ever been in 1.2 spec clios and ive never sat comfortabley in one. are the 172/182 a nice driving position.

8vmk2

RMS Regular
OP
8vmk2
Drives
Clio 172 CUP
noticed a couple of jordan civics on gumtree, anybody know either of them?

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
go look at jordys 182 at 2.5k its got all the right bits. you could even sell some to me to make it cheaper lol.
driving position isnt great in the clios, but you can remove seat spacers under the seat to drop it approx 1.5cm. not alot but helps.

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
@Jordy ,s 182 its a belter . ive had 8 172/182 and loved every second of them .much easier to get a good one compared to ep3 plus 35mpg comes easy there really isnt a better all round hot hatch

wiggee

RMS Regular
Drives
4 x 4
3k , honda cr-x , dc2 integra , st205 celica gt-4 , sw20 mr2 turbo , driftwrks there some modified e30s running sr20 ca18s . Although not all will be great at 3k but some will be grand .

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
B5 S4. Not a hatch, but more car for the money.

Or get an Avant and it has a hatch boot :p.

Peje

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI CS45
Mk4 Golf??? Hot Hatch??? Really??? More like soft, ill-handling, dreary day-to-day beater than "hot", even the R32 head of the heard handles like a wet sh*te

My Anni handled fantastically, even in standard form. Never drove a Mk4 R32 but the Mk5 handle really well, so well that they are boring to drive IMO.

I would agree with the non-hot hatch thing, more lukewarm but a fantastic car to drive.

8vmk2

RMS Regular
OP
8vmk2
Drives
Clio 172 CUP
Are 330ci's 3k??

Is there a forsale advert for jordys Clio? I can't help but feel the Clio won't cut it due to driving position but I suppose the only way to tell is to drive it!

CRX etc- as much as I love them I'm really looking for a car up the years a bit 2000+ anyway

306 gti6- had one before. Enjoyed it but wouldn't go back.

Overall still finding it hard to look past the 1.8T mk4 golf. Nice roomy interiors in them and would have plenty of change left over to improve it.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
In this case, 182.

Mk4, you'd have to spend a few quid before it would be any fun to drive.

Civic, as said, would be hard to find a good one.

8vmk2

RMS Regular
OP
8vmk2
Drives
Clio 172 CUP
I had a drive in a 225 before, nice interior and went well enough but I don't find them appealing looks wise and guess they're hard to sell on?

A 3k s3? I wouldn't be expecting much for 3k!

Leon cupra R is another option. A make had one, I loved it!

Sonny

RMS Photographer
Sure you're sat inside you'll not looking at the exterior ;)

8vmk2

RMS Regular
OP
8vmk2
Drives
Clio 172 CUP
But we all do that glance back at our cars in appreciation of it's beauty 90% of the time we get out of the car or out the window of the house. I couldn't do that with a megane. Lol

Cheers for the replies everybody.

8vmk2

RMS Regular
OP
8vmk2
Drives
Clio 172 CUP
I remember a few months ago there was a red Ibiza cupra R for sale as the owner had immigrated. Think it was in Belfast.
Does anybody know the car?

Just wondering if it ever sold?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.