£3000 hot hatch

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PhilM

RMS Regular
3K Hatch if its got to be real hot id buy old jap at that money.

but if a clio 182 is hot (powerful/fun) enough, i wouldnt choose anything else at the money, handle great.

Phil

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
i have to disagree about the 182 driving position once lowered it makes a big difference , you feel on it rather than in it i agree but it keeps you on your toes .. as @Gaz says tho 306 gti worth a look i had one and loved it

conorc

RMS Regular
Drives
2008 Ford Fiesta
That's the one alright. Suppose he may be worth a pm anyway. Wee Ibiza looks great.

Any examples of these s3's or Ibiza FR's?

I should note the car needs to be in N.I I really couldn't be bothered with a wasted journey to the UK and the cost it would take would have to come out of the 3k budget.

Thanks mate, PM replied to.. I saw this thread open the other day and meant to suggest a mk3 ibiza cupra. You will really struggle to find a clean one in NI, really would have to be a trip to the mainland- well worth it IMO.. great cars and with some mods can really get a huge power difference!

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
I would be looking towards a DC2 if that kind of money was in my hand. They are a great car, the B18 screams, LSD, Recaros and the lack of low down torque is compensated with the short ratio gearbox.

I hated the driving positionof my 172 with the high seating position and the jumbo steering whe, especially as I had been in Impreza ownership before I got it but they are very accurate and sharp but lack a bit of well-put-togetherness.

Neil@rockvale

RMS Regular
Id be looking across the water for a MK2 with a vr6 in it . Absolutely loved mine and it was great to drive , went well and sounded out of this world , I cant think of any hot hatch that would tick all those boxes for me as well as the mk2 did.

PhilM

RMS Regular
Id be looking across the water for a MK2 with a vr6 in it . Absolutely loved mine and it was great to drive , went well and sounded out of this world , I cant think of any hot hatch that would tick all those boxes for me as well as the mk2 did.

i like the idea, though they are so underpowered its hard to swallow!

Phil

Neil@rockvale

RMS Regular
i like the idea, though they are so underpowered its hard to swallow!

Phil

You should get a run in my old one that @Conor off here bought . It honestly surprised me how well it went and I was going straight from an Impreza Turbo at the time and it was much more fun to drive than the Scooby . It apparently was a pretty fit one tho .

PhilM

RMS Regular
You should get a run in my old one that @Conor off here bought . It honestly surprised me how well it went and I was going straight from an Impreza Turbo at the time and it was much more fun to drive than the Scooby . It apparently was a pretty fit one tho .

nah dont get me wrong, im sure it goes grand, but id rather have less than half the displacement but an extra 100horse through the front wheels for 3k.

Phil

robert106

RMS Regular
Drives
172 clio
I really enjoyed the 172 I owned, it was good value, cheap enough to run, and far better built than other ordinary renault cars, by brother has a fiesta st, similar type of car and also good value.

8vmk2

RMS Regular
OP
8vmk2
Drives
Clio 172 CUP
Cooper s and st fiesta are good suggestions also.

As much as I'd love another mk2 I'm looking something a bit more modern an put my golf in the garage for the winter.

I'm about 6foot1, 95kgs, thinking a Clio might be a bit small? I much prefer a low driving position with the door about up to my shoulder. Don't really feel comfortable otherwise.

fairly opposite side of the spectrum but I've arranged a viewing for a e39 530d sport tomorrow so I'll see how that fairs out

Paddy H

Banned
Drives
Accord Executive
no harm meant but the VAG stuff is all incredibly boring to drive.

yes some fast but they do everything so well it makes them mundane

@Gaz on the 306 rallye / gti6

I have to agree with this, my ma has a Scirocco R that I pinch now and again...

It goes like stink and is some wagon, but certainly wouldn't bring a smile to ones face like a 1xx clio.

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
Cooper s and st fiesta are good suggestions also.

As much as I'd love another mk2 I'm looking something a bit more modern an put my golf in the garage for the winter.

I'm about 6foot1, 95kgs, thinking a Clio might be a bit small? I much prefer a low driving position with the door about up to my shoulder. Don't really feel comfortable otherwise.

fairly opposite side of the spectrum but I've arranged a viewing for a e39 530d sport tomorrow so I'll see how that fairs out

im 6 1 also still lots of leg head room and comfy

conorc

RMS Regular
Drives
2008 Ford Fiesta
Fiesta ST is a good option, owned one a while back and really loved it, however they do lack power as standard, so need a reasonable amount of money spent to get the most out of them!

Jordy

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi / E46 M3
This was my main worry at the start coming from an Evo with recaros, but with the Clio you do get used to the driving position.

Actually very comfortable to sit in.

Steering wheel is a tad big though, but the retrimmed one I have looks 10x better than the standard wheel.

The wee clios are a hoot to drive, you won't be disappointed.

davey21

RMS Regular
I would be looking towards a DC2 if that kind of money was in my hand. They are a great car, the B18 screams, LSD, Recaros and the lack of low down torque is compensated with the short ratio gearbox.

I hated the driving positionof my 172 with the high seating position and the jumbo steering whe, especially as I had been in Impreza ownership before I got it but they are very accurate and sharp but lack a bit of well-put-togetherness.
id really be looking at Honda for something at that money dc2 is one car I d love to have

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.