£3k to spend

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
I want something a bit newer and dare I say, tamer, to get me to Uni next year, which I will likely keep the following year as a second car. I cant be bothered with the worry of maintaining a 16 year old car over the winter months whilst coping with my final year of Uni.

However, as I'm saving my pennies for something special, I dont want to spend a lot on a "runabout". When I say "runabout", I mean something with a little character and performance, not an early 90's Fiesta LX :grinning: (no offence to all you Fiesta lovers :p) So, I have set a budget of 3000 of the Queens finest.

I'm interested to see what people will come up with here, so I shall say no more. Fire away :grinning:

Graham2

RMS Regular
OP
Graham2
Drives
RS4
Would prefer something economical so 1.8 or so really, and definately not turbo'd Mr Rock :p

Had a VTR before, not keen on another.

D-Turbo is a possibility, not keen on French tho after owning the VTR.

GTI-6/Rallye are 2.0 yes? Rare also.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
clio williams - 1.8 16v

mk1 172 clio - 2.0 16v with a lot of comforts

106 gti

ibiza gti

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
PhilG said:
Dturbo. Pick one up for a grand, it would do you a year or two.

I vote dturbo too.
Pick a good low mileage one up for £3k easy with change.
The worst itl need is bushes and maybe the door looms sorted.

Graham2

RMS Regular
OP
Graham2
Drives
RS4
Theres a lot of Frenchies getting suggested!

I like the look of the 106 Gtis but they are basically a Saxo, which I didnt like the driving position or build quality of...

Would I pick up a 172 for £3k??

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
MK3 Jolph TDI.... Tenner of diesel gets u 220 miles :cool:

Reliable n still have plenty of change left over...

Graham2

RMS Regular
OP
Graham2
Drives
RS4
I had considered a Yolf, althought a Gti would be preferable. Theres a yellow colour concept in the trader, if it had of been blue I would have considered it.

Jason

RMS Regular
lad honestly stay up the years get a 2000 vts, most of them go very well and u'll see 80ish miles to a 10r but its worth it...

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Go for a late model Mk3 Gti? Earlier ones are bad for rust, and they're not the quickest thing in the world, but a great driving car all the same. You'd get a seriously good one for 3k

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Slideordie said:
Theres a lot of Frenchies getting suggested!

I like the look of the 106 Gtis but they are basically a Saxo, which I didnt like the driving position or build quality of...

Would I pick up a 172 for £3k??

because french are cheap and nasty lol

id have the 106 over the saxo any day - looks better, plus the leather :laughing:

you can get them but they would be high mileage and maybe a tad more than 3k - eg. http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/CARS_popup.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=RENAULT&model=CLIO&variant=172&keywords=&min_pr=75&max_pr=4000&mileage=&agerange=3&postcode=bt51+4jq&miles=1500&max_records=50&source=0&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH&start=10&distance=352&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200629242835811

check out www.cliosport.net and look in their cars for sale section

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
What about an MR2 then if ur wantin to stay up the petrol range...

I dont understand u sellin BM to buy a car at 3k if ur tryin to save.... Surely a diesel is better way to save considerin the journey ul be doin...

Graham2

RMS Regular
OP
Graham2
Drives
RS4
Cos its going to do me for the next two years so I dont want a shi tter :grinning: I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to get, I just want to see what others suggest :p

Graham2

RMS Regular
OP
Graham2
Drives
RS4
Not floating my boat with that suggestion, but thank you! :p

Graham2

RMS Regular
OP
Graham2
Drives
RS4
Didnt think it would have taken 22 replies to get a Honda suggestion! I dont hink I could do a 106/Saxo, fancy something different, a bit bigger and comfortable.

106lad

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
Slideordie said:
Not floating my boat with that suggestion, but thank you! :p

1.8 16v corsa, light car, 125bhp, rocketship with breathing mods and can be made nice !!

DSCF1451.JPG

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.