£3k to spend

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
here is my few sugestions (y)

civic 5dr 1.8 vti 170bhp
vertra 1.8 sri 130bhp
focus 1.8 tdci / 1.8 zetec 115bhp
xsara vts 170bhp
as said 306 gti 170bhp
or......fiesta zetec-s (y)

MrDave

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E39
Seat Toledo or Skoda Octavia Tdi if ya can, nice enough cars, better than a saxo anyway and a lot cheaper than the equivalent golf/bora/leon.

Avoid a 1.8 Toledo at all costs, quick enough and comfy enough but so far **** reliability and heavy on the fuel. So if it looks tempting run away youll only do yourself a favour.

tdcizetec

SteveZetecS said:
here is my few sugestions (y)

civic 5dr 1.8 vti 170bhp
vertra 1.8 sri 130bhp
focus 1.8 tdci / 1.8 zetec 115bhp
xsara vts 170bhp
as said 306 gti 170bhp
or......fiesta zetec-s (y)

Good luck in getting a TDCi for 3k. Its scary the amount of pre facelift TDDi focuses are being advertised as TDCi's. There are also a lot of TDCis for sale without the badge on the back, which could possibly be the old DI' s. Sneaky.

Good choices though, if it was me it would be between 1.7 Puma/2.0 3dr Focus/facelift Xsara VTS

All nice cars and not hard run with the possible exception of the xsara VTS.

There really is a lot of nice stuff out there for 3k

Graham2

RMS Regular
OP
Graham2
Drives
RS4
Lyons: Whats the Type S? Basically the highest spec I can get, so something like a 2.0 SE Executive, or something.

Gary: Yep could have an A4 but I'm not overly keen on them. I drove an A3 TDi and was very disappointed, to say the least. Couldnt wait to get out of the thing!

Steve: I considered a VTI-S Civic but the increase in insurance was scandalous!

Beefo: A 1.8 Turbo Import is far from (reasonably) economical and tame!

MrDave: Really fancied a Leon but its hard to get a diesel for that money and a 1.4 would be criminally slow!

tdcizetec: actually got offered a 2001 TDCI for £2800 today by the fella whos sourcing me an Accord. Not my thing tho.

I'm happy with an Accord, gonna take one a spin in the next day or two just to make sure I like them. Nice wee set of OEM wheels and a tad of lowering and i'll be happy :grinning:

tdcizetec

Slideordie said:
Lyons: Whats the Type S? Basically the highest spec I can get, so something like a 2.0 SE Executive, or something.

Gary: Yep could have an A4 but I'm not overly keen on them. I drove an A3 TDi and was very disappointed, to say the least. Couldnt wait to get out of the thing!

Steve: I considered a VTI-S Civic but the increase in insurance was scandalous!

Beefo: A 1.8 Turbo Import is far from (reasonably) economical and tame!

MrDave: Really fancied a Leon but its hard to get a diesel for that money and a 1.4 would be criminally slow!

tdcizetec: actually got offered a 2001 TDCI for £2800 today by the fella whos sourcing me an Accord. Not my thing tho.

I'm happy with an Accord, gonna take one a spin in the next day or two just to make sure I like them. Nice wee set of OEM wheels and a tad of lowering and i'll be happy :grinning:

TDCi's were only available from nov 2001 onwards in the facelift model. £2,800 seems very cheap, even early high miler ones are fetching 4k in the trader so either its a Di or there is something not right.

They are a nice all round car, go well enough and easy to run.

The Accord is a nice option, but they are supposed to be shocking on juice 30mpg.

What about a 1.8T Sport Passat??? Should be able to get a tidy one for that money.

Graham2

RMS Regular
OP
Graham2
Drives
RS4
Pretty sure he said £2800. I bought my E30 of the fella and I'd trust him, its Tims off heres Uncle.

My car at the moment is somewhere around 30-35mpg so I'll be no worse off.

Would a 1.8T not be sorer on petrol?

tdcizetec

Slideordie said:
Pretty sure he said £2800. I bought my E30 of the fella and I'd trust him, its Tims off heres Uncle.

My car at the moment is somewhere around 30-35mpg so I'll be no worse off.

Would a 1.8T not be sorer on petrol?

Couldnt imagine it being any worse, i reckon it would be faster than the accord and thats before tuning it.

The accord hits 60 in 9.6secs, the Passat does it in 8.6 according to good old parkers.

Passat Sports are very nice, love the bucket seats and the sport steering wheel.

Graham2

RMS Regular
OP
Graham2
Drives
RS4
Just checked, its faster than the Accord and has marginally better MPG! Insurance grp is 15 tho.

If I had a turbo car I'd want to tune it, which I cant afford to due to saving/Uni, so not a good idea!!

tdcizetec

Slideordie said:
Just checked, its faster than the Accord and has marginally better MPG! Insurance grp is 15 tho.

If I had a turbo car I'd want to tune it, which I cant afford to due to saving/Uni, so not a good idea!!

True, why not go for the 1.8 accord? Its not much slower, its bound to be a good bit more economical and insurance is cheaper.

There is also the 1.8 125bhp Passat. Ive drove an A4 with this engine and it went well enough for 125bhp.

Graham2

RMS Regular
OP
Graham2
Drives
RS4
The 1.8 is 1/2MPG better off than the 2.0 and about 0.5 secs slower to 60. I'd take either really, so long as the car is exactly what I'm looking for.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Oops, its was a Type V i meant. But its a 2.3 + the performance figures are awful...

SOD, a friend of mine had a 2.0 Accord and it was dead, and the consumption was tripe.

What about a tdi 110 A4 or Passat? Also you can get a bargain in the form of a dci Laguna; leather, 17" alloys etc.

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
i have a 98 5 door civic 1.8 vti with 70k on it for 2500.00 coming soon if that interests you

Graham2

RMS Regular
OP
Graham2
Drives
RS4
Lyons said:
SOD, a friend of mine had a 2.0 Accord and it was dead, and the consumption was tripe.

What about a tdi 110 A4 or Passat? Also you can get a bargain in the form of a dci Laguna; leather, 17" alloys etc.

Really? oh dear, perhaps a thread is called for to collect some views on the Accord..

My original idea was to go for an A4 but I kind of went off the idea, the Accord appealed to me more.

Humph :relieved:

Ferrett: PM me some more info, if you please :grinning:

Graham2

RMS Regular
OP
Graham2
Drives
RS4
Thats a fair bit over £3k, especially by the time I get it back home. Plus, its a bit too cheap considering theres a few other 99's there with a bit less mileage making nearly £2k more!

tdcizetec

SteveZetecS said:
Didnt know this, sneaky basts then!

Couldnt believe it myself when i searched the autotrader and lots of pre facelift cars came up advertised as TDCi's.

I havent seen a late 01'TDCi yet, they seem to be from 02' onwards and as said before the TDCi is only available on facelift cars.

The TDDi is a reliable enough engine, but newer TDCi's are in a different league. I personally wouldnt have a Di' about me, all of the zetec petrol engines are good though.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.