1985 Austin mini METRO!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
This is brilliant, my granda had a red one in the early 80s and looking at the interior shot took me right back, will be watching this thread (y)

brendy

RMS Regular
Did you know the X in city X actually made it harder to insure back in the day.
One thing, check the rear subframe. they were made from wafers and when cracked lean on the fuel rank.
Oh and wheel bearings whine as badly as the gearbox. My brothers City X was a complete shed hehe.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
Learned to drive in one of these, that dash brings back memories, nice wee project!

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
image.jpg

My first car was an Austin Mini City E, 1987 I think, interior same as pic, pretty similar.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
The seat material is the same by the look of it lol

Reactions: Mel

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Just stumbled across it on here would you believe it. Hasn't seen the road since 2005 so I'm hoping it won't need a pile of work. Not even sure where to start to be honest!!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I can appreciate it for being a low mileage retro classic, but I appear to be the only one it does absolutely nothing for!

Haha I've got a load of slagging from family/friends about it.

I was on a call with a few of my American colleagues including my boss and his boss on Friday night and when asked what plans I had over the weekend they seemed impressed when I told them I was going to get an "Austin Metro". I was quite surprised.

They asked what model I was buying and when I said a "city X" they seemed confused as they couldn't find any pictures online. Turned out they thought I said "Aston Martin" lol!!

They re-googled Austin metro and there was just silence on the phone for about 20 seconds followed by a complete change of subject.

I just bust out laughing.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Hahs this is possibly worse than my old Volvo obsession! Remember learning to drive in my grans Rover 100, which replaced her City x..."they've rebadged it you fool".

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
I can appreciate it for being a low mileage retro classic, but I appear to be the only one it does absolutely nothing for!
As i said above my first car on the road at 17 was a Mg metro in 1993. It was '86, it was that bad near put me off driving for life lol
In saying that was some of the best times of my life.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Was out fiddling today before retiring out of the cold.

Handbrake on gives me three warning lights. Handbrake released and they all flick off. I have no idea why its doing this. Brake fluid and pads look grand :confounded:

Handbrake off:

DSC_0366.JPG

Handbrake on;

DSC_0363.JPG

Anyone any ideas?

KevM

RMS Regular
Is that not normal apart from the bottom light indicating wear? Maybe the fluid level is just low enough to throw the right hand light on when the shoes/cylinders are pulled out by your cables?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
The fluid is at the max mark and the lights come on with the handbrake lifted 1mm from the floor so its def something to do with the handbrake warning light/system. I did think the same as you at the start though and double checked the fluid sensor was working OK.

I actually think it might be normal :confounded:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Excellent. That's one less thing to worry about for the mot then :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.