1985 Austin mini METRO!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
maybe he could reignite his career with ol' Jezzers recently getting the boot....:p

He went to Virgin Money or something, selling car insurance and whatnot, and trading classics in his spare time. Also did a bit of campaigning for a while.

Boring as ****. Has a show on Channel 5, with something blond, Classic Car Show or something. Watching paint dry is way more interesting.

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
He went to Virgin Money or something, selling car insurance and whatnot, and trading classics in his spare time. Also did a bit of campaigning for a while.

Boring as ****. Has a show on Channel 5, with something blond, Classic Car Show or something. Watching paint dry is way more interesting.

I watched an episode of it yesterday as they featured the Mini, he was saying he bought one of the first Mini's made on e-bay for £2700 a few years ago and recently turned down £25k for it, despite sitting next to Jodie Kidd he was definitely not getting excited over anything.

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
Drives
Italian
Ok I'll speak up for restoring it to as new condition and showing it as its such low miles and the interior is in such original condition. They are so few and far between now in that condition it would be worth a few pounds restored.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I'm as yet undecided tbh. I'd like a set of mini lites but that would be it from a mods perspective to be honest. I've already a set of new hubcaps sitting for the steelies and plan to paint the set to keep it OEM for now :grinning:

Another random question - what type of paint should I be using for local repairs? I've got pretty handy with the rattle cans over the years so will be tackling a couple of wee bits myself. I guess the older cars used a different sort of paint so I don't know what I'm looking for or if I even need lacquer :confounded:

Any tips?

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Revolutions or RFX's I think work better than minilites unless the minilites have some dish..
Keeping it otherwise standard is a good call though.

metro3.jpg

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
Drives
Italian
I'm as yet undecided tbh. I'd like a set of mini lites but that would be it from a mods perspective to be honest. I've already a set of new hubcaps sitting for the steelies and plan to paint the set to keep it OEM for now :grinning:

Another random question - what type of paint should I be using for local repairs? I've got pretty handy with the rattle cans over the years so will be tackling a couple of wee bits myself. I guess the older cars used a different sort of paint so I don't know what I'm looking for or if I even need lacquer :confounded:

Any tips?

If your doing it yourself out of tins then your limited to one type of paint I think. However with it being a solid colour you don't need a lacquer so your ok there. You only need lacquer for metallic and water based paint.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Ah a white MG metro. It was either that or a mini Metro I wanted. If I had the space.......

I'm stuck on an A35 Van (a la Wallace n Gromit) as my post Rusty-Nuts project. Dunno if I'll ever be at home much to sort it though. It might be a retirement project.

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
Revolutions get my vote, don't think it looks right on a set of Minilites.

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
The Maestro was great craic though, the wife hated it because it used to spit back through the carbs etc. Lumpy idle and nothing below 3K..

I remember the old boy loosing the keys to his maestro after a walk in the park, after a long search of the park and nothing turning up, he broke into the car and hotwired it lol

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Yep mine is like that lol.

Called into local motorfactor for some filters. Mann oil filter was £1.70 and air filter £2 odd lol. Plus it uses the old mineral oil which is dead cheap :grinning:

peter wilson

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab 95 Aero Hot
Ok here's a photo of Colin Earney's autotest Metro with the 10 inch Minilites. I think it's about 85/86 and was taken at a round of the NI championship in the Rolls Royce car park at Dundonald. There's also a picture of the coolest autotest Metro ever. Robert Dickson's Metro Special. The red MG is mine on the Strangford Ferry about 1992. And no that's not me with the perm. My then girlfriend and now wife!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

peter wilson

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab 95 Aero Hot
Ok here's a photo of Colin Earney's autotest Metro with the 10 inch Minilites. I think it's about 85/86 and was taken at a round of the NI championship in the Rolls Royce car park at Dundonald. There's also a picture of the coolest autotest Metro ever. Robert Dickson's Metro Special. The red MG is mine on the Strangford Ferry about 1992. And no that's not me with the perm. My then girlfriend and now wife!View attachment 80628View attachment 80629 View attachment 80630

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Oh I like that. Not that I've got a thing for beige cars! I've even got a splitter lying in the garage that would suit.

Ha! Hold onto it, I might take it off your hands if you would sell it, depending on what I do with the wee car down the line :grinning:

Loving the auto test metros and the old pics too!! I think I remember seeing that cut down one in action when I was a nipper. I used to go to Kane's of Comber to look at the metros many years back too. Plus there was another place near ladas drive or grand parade in belfast iirc. My dad used to take me. When other kids were playing footy I wanted to go look at metros in forecourts :oops:

Lol they didn't have unipart nor could they get them this side of Easter I'll prob go with unipart for next service though.

peter wilson

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab 95 Aero Hot
The beige Saab in the top picture, now that brings back memories, lol :grinning:
It's funny how at that time those photos were taken all I wanted was either a Mini, Midget or Metro. At the time I didn't have a car and can remember cycling out to watch that event on my first good lightweight racing bike. Over the years I've had all of the cars I wanted at the time, although the Midget never made it onto the road, and now I've got a beige Saab 96 which was a car I always fancied but never thought I would own.

peter wilson

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab 95 Aero Hot
Ha! Hold onto it, I might take it off your hands if you would sell it, depending on what I do with the wee car down the line :grinning:

Loving the auto test metros and the old pics too!! I think I remember seeing that cut down one in action when I was a nipper. I used to go to Kane's of Comber to look at the metros many years back too. Plus there was another place near ladas drive or grand parade in belfast iirc. My dad used to take me. When other kids were playing footy I wanted to go look at metros in forecourts :oops:

Lol they didn't have unipart nor could they get them this side of Easter I'll prob go with unipart for next service though.

Yeah no probs. I bought it for an MX5 which is long gone. It's only gathering dust in my garage. I've stacks of autotest photos from the mid 80s up to the mid 90s but no scanner so had to use my phone. If I ever sort a scanner out I'll put a thread up.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.