1985 Austin mini METRO!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
@Coog primer is unlikely to make much difference.

What way are you painting it aerosol?

If you have a place close that's good at mixing paint, remove the petrol flap bring it in for them to match. Will help if there's several different shades.

But a real good place will be able to adjust the standard shades to match if the paint is a bit discoloured.

Pretty awesome tho.

Brother had one of these as a field car, can take some abuse even after being rolled haha

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Yeah I am going to go back and have a slightly lighter shade made up and see if that helps any. I've also ordered a wee grey pin stripe to match the City X logo that can be used as a blend line (worst case).

Using rattle cans. Usually have no problem blending a repair. Lash the paint on, lacquer and then use some blend in. Drop of rubbing and jobs a good 'un but this stuff isn't using lacquer and is a darker colour when dry so it's proving difficult. If it was the same shade it would be grand... I reckon 30 years has lightened the paint a fair bit so it'll be a bit of a challenge but sure it's good fun :grinning:

I brought the fuel flap panel with me already and the paint in the cup matched great. It went on and looked perfect but then it darkened as it dried ffs!

Crimson

RMS Regular
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
Jeez I just remembered they were badged a mini Metro after seeing a photo of the bootlid lol!!

painting the exhaust - haven't seen that done in years ha ha ha!!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I thought the exhaust was grand but it annoyed him and before I knew it he was under the back of it with a tin of silver paint lol

peter wilson

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab 95 Aero Hot
That's coming up really well. It'll be something different at shows anyhow. Was watching the old video of the Larne International from the mid 80s. There was Colin Earneys and Frank Lenehans Metros on10 inch wheels with the bumpers off. Looked like they had been driven to the event as well. Bet you wouldn't get any cars driven to an International Autotest nowadays.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Cheers yeah its different all right... A lot people laugh about it but nearly everyone I've spoken to has had a metro related story to share which is fun :grinning:

Mostly involving fields right enough!

Won my first modification off eBay today :laughing:

Screenshot_2015-04-07-17-30-04.png

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Not sure what the problem is (or even if it is a problem to be honest). WOT on a cold/cool engine and she coughs and splutters. I'm not revving it flat out but if I snap the throttle open from idle it'll hesitate & cough and generally sound a bit unwell. This is with choke in/out doesn't seem to matter but only does it when it's cool or has been run for less than a few minutes.

When it's warmed up it's absolutely fine.

I've no idea what to check so appreciate any input.

On a side note I tried a different shade of paint last night and looking much better. Will buff it tonight and post pics. Think I've found the blend to match 30 years of oxidation lol

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
If it it running points, they could be worn or bouncing on the cam in the distributor.
What oil did you end up using in the dashpot? Sometimes light oil such as 3 in 1 can cause the damper to rise very sharply and go a bit lean. Try 20/50.
Other than that, could be plugs, leads, dizzy cap or rotor..

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Thanks for that. I did the plugs but the leads, dizzy, rotor, cap, etc haven't been touched. I figured they were probably alright if it was running OK when warm but I'll maybe just go ahead and change them as the parts are cheap.

It had 20/50 in there then I cleaned it and tried 3 in 1 but it made no difference.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Another night at it and probably the last for a while as I focus on work. Got the paint work on the door sorted and also did the rims.

Door buffed. Really happy with it now. Just about 100 other wee touch ups needed but at least I know the blend to match my car lol

DSC_0417.JPG

DSC_0416.JPG

Then I got stuck into the wheels. Sanded

DSC_0418.JPG

Masked with cheapy post cards lol

DSC_0419.JPG

Arches are nice and clean.

DSC_0420.JPG

And added some modifications (door reflector) 8-|:oops:

DSC_0422.JPG

Gave it a polish.

By now light was gone but just enough time for a shot of it back together.

DSC_0423.JPG

Also stuck new bulbs in. One of the original bulbs was still fitted. No wonder the lights were crap! Much better now.

peter wilson

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab 95 Aero Hot
Don't know what the basic Metros were like but my 86 MG Metro had a basic electronic ignition. If it goes the car.just refuses to start. Wouldn't do any harm to swap the distributor cap leads etc. Hope you get it sorted. Ps like the masking for the wheels. That's what I need to di with my Saab as the wheels could do with a repaint.

gary87

RMS Regular
That's a smart looking wee car, nearly bought one of these as my first car, was a toss up between this and a Polo Coupe; both were sold by the time I had made my mind up.

Hilarious were the fuel filler is, you must need to be kneeling down to put the juice in!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
playing cards work too I think

Had nipped in to get a pack and couldn't see any so thought these would dfr. Probably a better size than playing cards tbh

That's a smart looking wee car, nearly bought one of these as my first car, was a toss up between this and a Polo Coupe; both were sold by the time I had made my mind up.

Hilarious were the fuel filler is, you must need to be kneeling down to put the juice in!

Yeah will have to kneel. As if I won't already look like a complete bert as it is lol.

They raised the caps in the late 80's:

5279793.jpg

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Lol haven't saw one of those in ages!

Last update for a while now.

Rear swing arm grease nipple and nut were looking a but manky so I stuck one off a land rover on it and a new nut.

DSC_0429.JPG

DSC_0428.JPG

Wiper arms got a coat

DSC_0431.JPG

Sporty AA badge fitted lol

DSC_0435.JPG

DSC_0432.JPG

DSC_0439.JPG

DSC_0434.JPG

And gave the interior a clean.

DSC_0438.JPG

DSC_0437.JPG

That's it. MOT in about two weeks. Needs a bulb for the fog light tell tale and that is it. Will update with what it fails on :p

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3

The seal in the cap can leak meaning when you go round corner it pisses petrol all over the back tyre.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Have been a member for 10+ years and have always got it going before they 'arrived on scene'. Hopefully Austin/Rover ownership doesn't break that cycle lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.