1985 Austin mini METRO!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Looks immaculate too. Reminds me of:

Keeping%20Up%20430x325.jpg

Lol

Neil_M

RMS Regular
My mum had two of these, one in Gold and one in Red... totally reminiscing now.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Now that would be lovely. Some photo's of that project would be nice Sir

As I said - it might be 20 years off, but hopefully not..... It's the one car my wife and I agreed on having as a project after much discussion. We have the space, but not the time, and certainly not the time together. She lives and works at home, I'm on the wrong side of the Irish sea 9/10ths of the month.

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
Drives
Italian
As I said - it might be 20 years off, but hopefully not..... It's the one car my wife and I agreed on having as a project after much discussion. We have the space, but not the time, and certainly not the time together. She lives and works at home, I'm on the wrong side of the Irish sea 9/10ths of the month.

Aww man that's a shame as it's the sort of car that really appeals to me.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I was actually offered a '78 SD1 late last year for a few hundred quid. Looked alright but would have taken a bit of work & £££ and it was a horrific colour, so I let it go. There's a few turbo ones come up on eBay the odd time too. Mate of mine is a bit of a fanatic and constantly links them on facebook lol.

Always fancied a Red Vitesse Twin Plenum version. Another childhood motor I spotted in the streets and said to myself "I'll have one of those....":

758668.jpg

758674.jpg

758676.jpg

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Loving that. They were basically a Honda Concerton werent they?

Ballade (Concerto was the hatch) and yeah they built them together IIRC. I thought they did a vtec one but I think the Honda engines may have come in for the later rover 200's. A mate has a 216GTI and it was a flying machine. Filled the clock on the way to kesh one day lol

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Be a laugh to put a later B18 into one of those old things.

Crimson

RMS Regular
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
Is it just me or did none of the old Austin Rover/MG panels on their fleet of the 80s and 90s sit into the body flush and the bumpers and trim all sat like they were not in line with the rest of the shell?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
They are hilariously badly made @Crimson

I did a light restoration on a MGF a couple of years back and I couldn't believe how shoddily put together it was.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Very few if any of the workforce on the line gave a flying **** about putting them together correctly. I knew a bloke who had a load of mates from school that went straight into BL from school at 16 and were completely brainwashed to do as little as possible and have union backing to do so. It needed closing down and moved to a greenfield site with a completely new management team and shop floor workforce. It was inevitable that it would have to be closed unfortunately.

peter wilson

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab 95 Aero Hot
If you like SD1s get yourself along to a local sprint or hillclimb and have a look and listen yo Tom Lawthers competition prepared one. It looks and sounds fantastic. Mind you think i still prefer a P6.

peter wilson

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab 95 Aero Hot
Is it just me or did none of the old Austin Rover/MG panels on their fleet of the 80s and 90s sit into the body flush and the bumpers and trim all sat like they were not in line with the rest of the shell?

Oh they were. The MGF i had the engine cover always set up at one corner. No matter how i adjusted it it would not sit flush with the rest of the bodywork.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Use Millers Classic Mini 20w50 dude.

I've literally just grabbed some halfords classic motor oil on the way home there. Was good value with trade card.

Learned about the dashpot today. I figure mine is dry which may partly explain WOT stuttering. Would the 20w 50 be OK to use? There seems to be some debate about which is best :confounded:

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
I've literally just grabbed some halfords classic motor oil on the way home there. Was good value with trade card.

Learned about the dashpot today. I figure mine is dry which may partly explain WOT stuttering. Would the 20w 50 be OK to use? There seems to be some debate about which is best :confounded:

Engine oil is okay, but not ideal.

Tear the dash pot off, clean the inside of it as best as possible and do the same to the edges of the piston. dry it all out as best as possible and use 3in1.

Also, don't use the Halfords stuff, because it has no additives to allow for the fact the gearbox shares the engine oil.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.