1986 VW Polo Coupe S.. (Project)

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Yes! And with the lightness of the car and short gearing it felt mighty quick (well, when you were still in school!). It was, without exagerration, twice as quick as the 45bhp 1 litre classic it replaced.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Back in school days the brothers mate had a breeze blue 1.4 sr and I thought it was the quickest thing ever, its weird how even new stuff now that is quick just doesn't really feel it!

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Back in school days the brothers mate had a breeze blue 1.4 sr and I thought it was the quickest thing ever, its weird how even new stuff now that is quick just doesn't really feel it!

So true. They were so small, tinny and short geared...just felt so fast! Still remember the guy I bought it off had bought himself a late 90s mondeo 1.8 verona at the time and was raging because his brother took him over to collect it and smoked him in the polo on the way home haha.

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Got afew bits for the coupe,got genuine front indicators & number plate lights and TPS were also able to order me orange side repeaters plus front discs and rear brakes shoes & wheel cylinders!!!

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Also got the seats and carpet pulled out as they are going to @big_pete over the weekend and wanted to get a look at the floor!
Well have to say im so happy as the floor is perfect!!! Going to give the floor a clean tomorrow!!!
20160121_204957.jpg
20160121_204944.jpg
20160121_204912.jpg

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
My first car was a 1.0 1989 Polo Fox breadvan/hearse. It really moved well off the line in first gear and was Super practical but it got broken into twice via the boot door and eventually rotted away to nothing. Was an unstoppable force in the snow with its wee skinny tyres. Would love a mint one for old times sake

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Thats super clean I bet your more than happy with that.
Couldnt be happier,not one bit of the chassis/floor needs repaired!
Will get all the running gear overhauled then itll get a full respray come winter time.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Class project. I'm sure it was a butt clencher pulling the carpets back for a peek below. It was for me with the mini metro anyway lol

Kind of glad you're going to go mad with it either. Would be easy to follow everyone else and stance the life out of it but a touch lower and fairly OEM makes it more different than stretch & poke and all that stuff.

Will it be ready for Castlewellan you think?

eamon343

RMS Regular
Are you keeping the steel wheels? A set of alloys off a mk1 golf gti could look well on it

I must see if i have any pictures of my old one

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
I know you don`t plan on going mad with this but if you could lay your hands on G40 engine it would make the wee car.

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Are you keeping the steel wheels? A set of alloys off a mk1 golf gti could look well on it

I must see if i have any pictures of my old one

No alloys going on it sadly,steels are going to get shotblasted and painted next week and ive new genuine centre caps ordered!
Id love a set of ats classics for it but its just too good to mess about with so just staying standard!

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
I know you don`t plan on going mad with this but if you could lay your hands on G40 engine it would make the wee car.

I know of another breadvan for sale and im tempted to buy it to store it away for an engine swap in a year or two!
Just gona keep this one original altho a G40 lump in this would be great fun :p

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Not a huge update but fitted new plugs/leads & distributor cap then got air filter/timing belt cover and radiator fan housing painted.
Got the tyres off the steels today so the rims will hopefully go in for a refurb on friday.

Also got 4 new Michelin tyres (came with from factory) ordered which will arrive in next 10days.

Lastly dropped the interior in with @big_pete so all is going to plan so far!

Will update with photos when start to get things back.

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Love this!! Had the 1990 1.3GT version of this with 5 speed as my first car in red. Probably long scrapped tho by now.

Not a bad first car to have!!! :cool: I was actually on the lookout for a GT but there was just none about for sale.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Good work lad, I'd love to get some Pirelli p700z in 185 55 14 for the Gti but the don't make them anymore