1995 E34 BMW 525i Sport

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
So, few months down the line, I missed getting over to Players Classic for various reasons, so got the car finished up for Eurotreffen. Hoping to get over for the Rollhard show at Bicester Heritage next month.
Eurotreffen_21_GTiNI_Pic_By_CianDon-115-1200x801.jpg

Eurotreffen_21_GTiNI_Pic_By_CianDon-109-1200x801.jpg

Put together a wee pole to hold the bonnet in position as taking it on and off is a pain in the arse!
Eurotreffen_21_GTiNI_Pic_By_CianDon-104-1200x801.jpg

Eurotreffen_21_GTiNI_Pic_By_CianDon-103-1200x801.jpg

As none of us was in a rush away after the show we hung around and got a group shot in. Car scene is boring nowadays eh? 😜
Eurotreffen_21_GTiNI_Pic_By_CianDon-87-1200x801.jpg

Now have a flickering oil pressure light when the car is hot and ticking over, so presume once up to heat the oil is getting thin. Time for a service and keep an eye on it. Will order a new oil pump and upgrade kit in case also...

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
So, what a weekend.

Ive no pictures of getting the car sorted for heading over to the Rollhard show at Bicester Heritage last weekend as there wasnt much to photograph, and, well, it was a last minute hassle as always.

Did an oil and filter change which sorted the oil pressure light. The hydraulic tappets still tick occassionally when it's warm, but heavier oil and some lucas oil stabiliser has helped. I will rebuilt the top end at some stage, but its not a big issue at the moment. Drained the coolant and put fresh stuff in with a new radiator cap. Got an air lock in the system and then absolutely ruined one of the water pipes. Not ideal but easy enough fixed, even if I wondered if the car was cursed at the time.

820 miles this weekend. Done in comfort with no issues at all. Drove through the early hours of Saturday morning to get to Caffeine and Machine for 9am for breakfast.
IMG_20210731_101441.jpg

received_4107719609313742.jpeg

Drove past Diddly Squat farmshop, saw the queue and state of the car park so kept driving. Nice part of the world though.

Got to the accommodation, checked in, got the car washed in the rain and then out for a dander, food and pints.

Sunday morning was another early start to do the 3 min drive from accommodation to Bicester Heritage for the show. What a show. Venue, organisation, atmospher and pretty much every car at it was bang on.

IMG_20210801_130754.jpg

Spent the whole day walking around catching up with people I've not seen since 2019, people I've only spoken to online and meeting new people. Exactly what its all about. Everyone is there for the same reason, no egos, no bull****. I think aside from @Delaney95 we were the only people over from Ireland. Aside from the cost of the ferry I genuinely have no problems going across the water for events, especially when they are of the quality of this and anything the Players guys do.

The car was perfect for the duration. Brakes got a little juddery about an hour from the ferry so will have to look at that. Changing them anyway though so not too worried.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
So, mot time last Sunday. It failed.

Not on wheels, suspension, bay etc but 2 things, one was the bush on the steering idler and the other was the windscreen sticker, that doesn't block line of sight from inside...but sure will take it off for a change anyway. Luckily have the idler bush in stock.

Other issue was that the radiator has split, so bought a new one. Direnza cheapo one but seems ok enough. Will change it when doing the idler for the mot retest.
zz03413-bk-01.jpg

And, errr, after seeing @big_pete was looking to sell his E34 I talked my dad into looking at it and, well, it's at home now. My dad probably likes E34s more than me. This one is his, and will stay standard. Though I have a set of schnitzers spare.....

Few wee niggly things to sort but all in a really good, original car! Pic from Petes thread on it.
718BAA6F-6606-4562-8ED9-066F78E2A1B6.jpeg

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Was so glad it went to you’s, couldn’t be a better home for it and it’s such a nice old thing and with some minor stuff could be exceptional!

Plus I got to drool over yours again, probably one of my favourite builds ever!

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
So, mot time last Sunday. It failed.

Not on wheels, suspension, bay etc but 2 things, one was the bush on the steering idler and the other was the windscreen sticker, that doesn't block line of sight from inside...but sure will take it off for a change anyway. Luckily have the idler bush in stock.

Other issue was that the radiator has split, so bought a new one. Direnza cheapo one but seems ok enough. Will change it when doing the idler for the mot retest.
View attachment 334344

And, errr, after seeing @big_pete was looking to sell his E34 I talked my dad into looking at it and, well, it's at home now. My dad probably likes E34s more than me. This one is his, and will stay standard. Though I have a set of schnitzers spare.....

Few wee niggly things to sort but all in a really good, original car! Pic from Petes thread on it.
View attachment 334345
Love that, what are the plans for it?

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Love that, what are the plans for it?
Cheers, no idea really. It's a really tidy original car but needs a few bits sorted. The wipers, windows and central locking don't work, so a bit of wiring to be looked at, thankfully we broke a 520 years ago so have a spare loom plus bits of the loom taken from my blue one. Nothing too major needing done though.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Passed MOT retest with no issues last week and a milestone reached!
IMG_20210913_154601.jpg

Will be heading to a cars and coffee at the weekend in Dublin so an excuse to stretch the cars legs.

Some photos from the Speedhunters feature in absence of any other ones!
Connor_E34_BMW_Pic_By_CianDon-4-1200x800.jpg

Connor_E34_BMW_Pic_By_CianDon-46-1200x800.jpg

Connor_E34_BMW_Pic_By_CianDon-20-1200x800.jpg

Connor_E34_BMW_Pic_By_CianDon-1-1200x800.jpg

Connor_E34_BMW_Pic_By_CianDon-22-1200x800.jpg

And one of the current state of play with the other E34. Some wiring issues. Dad's still well pleased with the car, but just want it to be 100 percent right. We have a spare 520i loom so all handy, but time consuming, to sort! Could probably / most likely sort with less work, but where's the fun in that!
IMG_20210913_174522.jpg

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Some small updates. Just been using the car, but finally got my new calipers back from paint.

IMG-20211105-WA0001.jpg

Have them rebuilt and all, just need to get time and move a few things about to get them on.

Also got an extra little detail sorted.
Screenshot_20211117_191411.jpg

Plate with the PBE team logo on it for the bay made by @Bono872 just a wee extra detail for the engine bay.

Other than that, the focus is on the golf, and my dads M3.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Nearly 3 month update....

Nothing has been done, but the car has got worse. It has been used as a daily by me, and borrowed by my dad when his car was out of action :joy:

I reversed into one of the cars in the yard a few weeks back. Thought it was just a scuff in the paint, but, yea, it needs the bumper painted and a new trim piece.
IMG_20211211_143200.jpg

I also need to paint the gurney flap as this has microblistered as well as fit membranes behind the doorcards as I never bothered with this. Mechanically though, it really is faultless. Everything that has been done to the suspension has made it drive really well, last drive was down to Dublin City Centre and back just before Christmas and it was as comfy as I need tbh.

So waiting on a price for the trim / getting the M3 out of the way in the garage (almost merits it's own thread at this point tbh - very rash photo below)
IMG_20211223_192649.jpg

before contacting the painter to see if he can squeeze the rear bumper and some other bits in before hopefully Dubshed in April or absolutely worst case deadline Players Classic in June (despite some members posting that there isn't anything at that level in NI lol) as I'm in for the Auto Finesse Concours D'Elegance Area (previously Meguiars Paddock) Area again).

I also decided when sending the quote form to JKC that I'd try a pair of Chrome Kidney Grilles as despite being shadowline, the E34 never had black grilles, so will see how that looks.

Aside from that and some other bits of paint / fit the brakes and re-polish the wheels.

Photo from Titanic Dubs for visuals
FB_IMG_1636920704489.jpg

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
always admire this when you go past the house and seen your dad in it a few times.

The M3 looks to fantastic, you should a few more pictures up.

KevM

RMS Regular
always admire this when you go past the house and seen your dad in it a few times.

It always really surprises me when I meet it on the Ballymoney hill, driving into town, covered head to toe in crap!

One of the stand-out cars on RMS and clearly no garage-queen!!

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34

Cheers Jonny, thankfully his car seems to be behaving itself for the time being so can get a few bits done to this.

Will wait until we get the M3 pushed on more, it's currently got the back end stripped out of it for a bit of tidying.
It always really surprises me when I meet it on the Ballymoney hill, driving into town, covered head to toe in crap!

One of the stand-out cars on RMS and clearly no garage-queen!!
Cheers Kev. Was one of the main ideas with this one when doing the work to it initially to keep it completely usable. If it gets dirty it can be cleaned, if it gets chipped or scratched bits can be painted again!

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Finally got the new front brakes fitted.
IMG_20220130_170416.jpg

Crap photo but fill the wheel nicely, has been sitting a week or so, so slightly rusty discs, anyone know how to fix that 😂😜. Pedal feel is a bit off so will bleed them again and see how that goes.

Back bumper, gurney, bonnet and some wee bits at the painter at the minute. Got new clips for the doorcards and material (plastic) for the membranes due to arrive next week so can fix that then. Really, really need to get the paint corrected soon too, then some other bits repainted due to blistering in the engine bay etc.

Other than this, have been working away under the mk2 golf, and have been gathering bits for the M3 to help my dad out. What was a cheap M3 tidy up has grown legs surprisingly enough😅

KW V2 coilovers and Millway motorsport top mounts.
IMG_20220129_111138.jpg

Powerflex poly bushes for most of the backend.
IMG_20220129_111126.jpg

SME rear brace, mounts over the strut tops into the rear subframe mounts, brackets for 6 pot Brembos I had sitting for years, flexis for them, a stud conversion kit, Millway motorsport strengthening for between top mounts and strut tops and brake flexis for the Brembos. The car came with a Redish strengthening kit for the subframe mounts so we are doing that at the same time. Also have some new brackets from Redish due to arrive next week.
IMG_20220129_111250.jpg

IMG_20220130_170453.jpg

It's not bad for cracks tbh. But it is not pretty re rust in parts. Have seen worse though!
Also have bew backing plates, clips and bolts etc for the back end. Waiting on new trailing arms arriving too, then that should hopefully be it sorted.
IMG_20220129_111333.jpg

Not pictured are less exciting things like new side repeaters, badges and standard font plates to replace the horrible metros that were on it.

We have also got stuck into the red e34. To sort wiring theres a bit of stripping out to do. It's an e34, so we now know these quite well. Easy done. An absolute gift to work on compared to the E46!
IMG_20220129_160703.jpg

IMG_20220129_162720.jpg

Some signs of previous repairs, but tbh, very, very good for an e34. Usually around the accelerator mount etc is rusty. Will be redoing / tidying these as they aren't the prettiest, but fine.

Carpet is being dried out as it was pretty damp. On e34s the carpet has a huge depth of sponge as part of it which just holds water.
IMG_20220130_170210.jpg

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Progress, in the sense that it's more parts ticked off the list. Nothing done to the car all the same!

Firstly, smoked side markers for the US trim.
IMG_20220207_204120.jpg

Should tie in well with the rest of the smoked lights.

New engine covers, chrome kidney grilles, scuttle trim and random clips (the scuttle ones are meant to be reusable but everytime they break removing them so good to have extras), bonnet rollers, and bolts for the rocker cover. Not oictured are the hooks for the bonnet in the engine bay.
IMG_20220212_120809.jpg

IMG_20220212_120937.jpg

IMG_20220212_121049.jpg

Still waiting on a new bonnet badge. The engine covers etc on mine are pretty good anyway, but much better than the ones on the red car, so can improve it and put new stuff on the 'show' car.

Must say, fantastic service by JKC as always, just a shame they're so far away!

Next up, re-bleed the brakes, polish the wheels, hopefully get parts back from the painter soon and make up a cover for where the loom goes into the bulkhead.

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Well, that's the first Dubshed in 3 years done and dusted.

IMG_20220331_135035.jpg

To get ready there were some things which needed to be done. First was make a cover for the wiring, water hose etc that goes inside the car. This was made from a cut of an Audi TT shell. A bit of hammering, welding, metal prep and painting later and it was on. It holds on with a cable tie so it's easily taken off for maintenance.

Then fitted the new engine cover and cover over the fuel rail. Picture taken before the plugs covering the bolt holes arrived. Also fitted new rocker cover bolts.
IMG_20220321_143846.jpg

It was then a case of putting things back together and cleaning.

This is the car just before leaving yesterday, which is why the bonnet is closed and front plate and wipers are on 😂

IMG_20220403_190042.jpg

IMG_20220403_190051.jpg

Glad I went for the smoked side markers and OEM chrome grilles though as they just tie everything together nicely.

Was great to take home a top 40 trophy too. As usual Brian at the Short Shift made great trophies!

cauld1

RMS Regular
OP
cauld1
Drives
BMW E34
Tbf this looked unreal at Dubshed, top 10 if not 5 for me. What engine is in it?
Cheers!

It's just the standard 2.5 litre 6 cylinder single vanos M50. Not a powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination but dead on for cruising about.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Is she nat a four pint four V8 sur? :p

Looking fabulous as always. (y)