2003 Mini Cooper R50

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
The 350z has a lightened flywheel and it's great. So much more responsive and free revving. And doesn't seem to affect idle etc.
I think all of the above is true, last time I drove it was may! 😂

Point being-can you get a lightened solid flywheel? Would make driving the mini even more of a hoot!

You can indeed and it makes a big difference.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
There’s a firm named Adlerspeed who seem to sell out of America who do a lightened flywheel/performance clutch kit for around £300 and I can’t find any negative reviews online with a quick search.

As for what I want from the car, yes driveability is there as a concern, but I want to improve its fun level lol, so if I can make it freer revving and improve the throttle response the. It would be a bonus!

PieMan1

RMS Regular
There’s a firm named Adlerspeed who seem to sell out of America who do a lightened flywheel/performance clutch kit for around £300 and I can’t find any negative reviews online with a quick search.

As for what I want from the car, yes driveability is there as a concern, but I want to improve its fun level lol, so if I can make it freer revving and improve the throttle response the. It would be a bonus!
Looks like a great piece of kit , can't help but think that pressure plate is going to mean that the pedal will be heavy AF / engagement like a light switch.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
The 350z has a lightened flywheel and it's great. So much more responsive and free revving. And doesn't seem to affect idle etc.
I think all of the above is true, last time I drove it was may! 😂

Point being-can you get a lightened solid flywheel? Would make driving the mini even more of a hoot!
side by side I did years back when switching my zed from dmf to lightened smf

video doesn't do the difference justice

Dynam0humm

RMS Regular
A lighter wheel will reduce throttle lag and make the engine more responsive. It won't increase power, but the engine feels a little livelier.
It won't increase the power measured at the crank, but it will increase the power measured at the wheels due to less rotating mass for the engine to turn. Same with fitting lighter wheels or changing a steel propshaft for carbon.

The only thing to be wary off is going too light and then needing lots of revs to avoid stalling. Dunno about the Mini, but in my MX5 the std flywheel weighs 8kg and forum wisdom says around 6kg is the sweet spot. You can buy ones under 4kg but apparently they make it a pig to drive in stop-start traffic and are more suited for track use.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
It won't increase the power measured at the crank, but it will increase the power measured at the wheels due to less rotating mass for the engine to turn. Same with fitting lighter wheels or changing a steel propshaft for carbon.

The only thing to be wary off is going too light and then needing lots of revs to avoid stalling. Dunno about the Mini, but in my MX5 the std flywheel weighs 8kg and forum wisdom says around 6kg is the sweet spot. You can buy ones under 4kg but apparently they make it a pig to drive in stop-start traffic and are more suited for track use.
I’ve to confirm this by measuring the second hand one that came with the 6sp box, but the dual mass is around 17kg for the Mini.

I’ve just found a company Max Torque Clutches who do an 11.4kg solid flywheel.

I’ve no idea what the solid flywheel on the 5sp weighs though.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
I’ve to confirm this by measuring the second hand one that came with the 6sp box, but the dual mass is around 17kg for the Mini.

I’ve just found a company Max Torque Clutches who do an 11.4kg solid flywheel.

I’ve no idea what the solid flywheel on the 5sp weighs though.
That would make a huge difference!

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Oh here, so as you all know I’ve been doing very little driving of the Mini mainly due to fear of catastrophic failure…..

A fellow NIMM member has had a noisy gearbox for a while and drove on, gearbox locked up in 3rd gear on him, punching a hole into the bell housing and out through the diff!

My fear is justified lol

97842009-ADA8-4DC8-A7D1-B6E066C62100.jpeg
0170F2CE-BC6F-4064-9794-A774CD883D26.jpeg
D42FC483-2546-4EE0-932E-5E14D493E3FA.jpeg

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.