2020 Porsche Cayman 718 GT4.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
They told me it doesn’t affect the car…. But by goodness it’s as stiff as hell to drive.

I’ve no spine left after 2 months. The GT4 is rigid enough never mind engine mounts set at 180mph stiffness.

Not good at all, to be honest my experiences so far with them have been good.

My car is in for its first major service next month, so hopefully my positive experience continues.

Martyn

RMS Regular
OP
Martyn
Not good at all, to be honest my experiences so far with them have been good.

My car is in for its first major service next month, so hopefully my positive experience continues.

Every experience I have had with them over the past 14 years has been nothing short of excellent. But this one has been pretty hard to take.

The salesman acknowledged to me the fault is a weakness. He also
alluded to the fact that they were finding it very hard to get staff and even more importantly good staff.

Possibly sums up my experience this time round.

Last edited:

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
It’s bizarre that Porsche haven’t fixed the issue with the mounts. It was a flaw throughout the run of the 981 and has continued to be through the 718 too. It’s the main reason I run the OPC warranty, it will happen at some point.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Real shame to read that, as this cars a forum favourite of mine.

Hope you get sorted Martyn, not good enough that.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Every experience I have had with them over the past 14 years has been nothing short of excellent. But this one has been pretty hard to take.

alluded to the fact that they were finding it very hard to get staff and even more importantly good staff.

That’s worrisome, if they can’t get hold of good quality mechanics that would concern me. Getting your car serviced here is exactly cheap, so I would fully expect quality work.

I’ve been In recently, as I was considering changing. And I recognised most of the sales and service folks, so I can only imagine the reference to quality staff is the mechanics.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Or the staff thing is maybe an excuse businesses often throw out to blame someone else. At the end of the day they are their staff, chosen, trained and managed by them so the fault maybe lies within.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Fair enough if there’s a shortage of parts/staff but the ‘no courtesy/hire car’ is a kick in the teeth.

£200 p/hour is eye watering.

davyk31

RMS Regular
They also had a post up recently about 3 of their mechanics getting UK awards so they can’t be that bad.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Very frustrating to have a failure like that. Surely it’s covered under warranty anyway @Martyn ? So the £200 an hour or price of the part is somewhat irrelevant.

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Is it the active drivetrain or engine mounts that have failed? Not sure they could be one and the same thing! That’s why I didn’t want the sports chrono tbh, I’ve head of them be replaced and fail in a year again! Ouch.

You’ll deffo be covered via the warranty but not a lot of use of the work isn’t being done.

Martyn

RMS Regular
OP
Martyn
Very frustrating to have a failure like that. Surely it’s covered under warranty anyway @Martyn ? So the £200 an hour or price of the part is somewhat irrelevant.

Yea the car is under warranty but it’s up in October.

What concerns me more is the attitude of sure just extend the warranty and every time the mounts fail sure it will be covered.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular

I think they have a new general manager starting soon from VW as the old one is retiring.

Reactions: IL

Martyn

RMS Regular
OP
Martyn
I think they have a new general manager starting soon from VW as the old one is retiring.

Do you know who retiring? PM me if you don’t want to publicly air..
This could explain a few things - thanks.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Do you know who retiring? PM me if you don’t want to publicly air..
This could explain a few things - thanks.

Is the after sales manager not called Paul?

That’s who I have always dealt with, and he went above and beyond. And I didn’t even buy my car from them, and it’s not in the same bracket as yours.

Martyn

RMS Regular
OP
Martyn
Getting near time for bed until March next year… I always go away for a extended time in September so the car will be off the road.

With the increased interest rates etc.. think I’m gonna try to hold on to this a while.

Attachments

• 41A21A6B-956D-4D96-BF70-DC7E0A3FE828.jpeg
    41A21A6B-956D-4D96-BF70-DC7E0A3FE828.jpeg
    301.7 KB · Views: 56

Martyn

RMS Regular
OP
Martyn
Thought I would just update this thread after my engine mount issues.

So 6 months after the engine mounts failing I had a result from Porsche GB.

They have admitted that there is a problem with the engine mounts getting water into them and throwing a warning light on the dash.

They are in the process of re-designing the mounts. As a gesture of good will for the trouble I had they have extended my warranty on the GT4 for a further 2 years.

I have also raised a complaint with the finance company so hopefully will get a result there as well.

Martyn

RMS Regular
OP
Martyn
So end off year thread for the wee 2020 GT4.. still only 9k miles due to the big engine mount problems, completely stopped my Europe road trip last year.

Porsche gb have acknowledged the problem and extended the warranty. The parts have now redesigned.

Looking forward to my alpine trip next year with my warranty intact

Martyn

RMS Regular
OP
Martyn
Taxed the GT4 on Thursday this week and went to pull it out of storage and it wouldn’t start. Even though it has been sitting on a c-tech charger since August the battery was flat. The C-tech charger was showing a red error light so I think this is why it hadn’t charged.
Put the charger into battery reconditioning mode and went back on Friday and the car started first time…
Thanks to a recommendation from @Rob on here I had purchased a set of new seat covers for the bucket seats and got them fitted today. Well chuffed with the look.

A971CAB9-F09D-4EA9-8C5F-61320E19637F.jpeg

Car is approaching its 4th birthday.. MOT will be next.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
First I've seen of this thread.

Holy cr@p!!!! That's one seriously nice car!!

Hopefully the engine mounts saga hasn't taken away from the ownership of a beautiful car.

Love that colour in the sun, really pops!