4x4 under £3k

MarkM

RMS Regular
Having wasted a lot of time today, verbally did a deal on what looked like a lovely Freelander, in the flesh had a list of problems beyond belief and blatantly lied to, I’m looking for a cheap winter 4x4 hack, mainly to get Emma to work on bad days but also something I can tinker with. Petrol or Diseasel and not a basket case, what’s out there?

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
One of our customers changed from a freelander to an evoque and still has it, I think its for sale can find out if its something you are interested in. No idea of price year ect but he is semi retired and pretty fussy

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
One of our customers changed from a freelander to an evoque and still has it, I think its for sale can find out if its something you are interested in. No idea of price year ect but he is semi retired and pretty fussy

I’d appreciate that, thanks :grinning:

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
1996 Ford Mondeo 2.0i 4x4?

Its within your budget & your wife will love it.

16F3D797-C0E7-4D74-9B19-87FC796F88F5.jpeg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
We have a Freelander 2 for the last 4 years, been very reliable other than a few central locking gremlins which were solved with new lock units from ebay. Most of the transmission parts are Ford sourced and have given no bother. We've done around 70K in 4 years with very little bother, love it for touring around as you can see around you much better. I've been running all seasons on it for around the last couple of years which have been great in any mud/snow we've been through. (y)
Get one that's been looked after and you should have very little bother with it.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Pretty much worst time to be buying a 4x4 with the first snow tbh.

She will be fine on winter tyres. If you want to tinker and modify then have a look at Jimnys.

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
1996 Ford Mondeo 2.0i 4x4?

Its within your budget & your wife will love it.

View attachment 306478

Definite no, sorry!

We have a Freelander 2 for the last 4 years, been very reliable other than a few central locking gremlins which were solved with new lock units from ebay. Most of the transmission parts are Ford sourced and have given no bother. We've done around 70K in 4 years with very little bother, love it for touring around as you can see around you much better. I've been running all seasons on it for around the last couple of years which have been great in any mud/snow we've been through. (y)
Get one that's been looked after and you should have very little bother with it.

One that’s been looked after will be the problem lol What I’ve seen so far is horrific :worried:

RAV4 would probably get my vote or a Crv. Also Ford Kuga.

Kuga’s a definite no, over budget, Rav4 and CR-V yes :grinning:

She will be fine on winter tyres. If you want to tinker and modify then have a look at Jimnys.

I really like Jimnys, Emma won’t have one as she says it’s a childs toy lol

Anyone know about 08 Grand Vitaras?

Last edited:

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth

Not to sound like wheeler dealer @southsky sunrise here but I forgot dad’s got a charming example in his woodshed for within OP’s budget.
MOT 26th August 2021

4F1634A8-5CD2-4E5D-B1CA-54D7A88C26ED.jpeg

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Flip sake when I was on the hunt for my Freelander I went to view one that was a complete shambles and a pure lie. Fella had 1 owner from new which sort of interested me and I challenged him on it. Was his wife’s aunt or something that actually owned it prior and the list of stuff needing doing was insane. I told him I wouldn’t waste his time as my offer would be so low and he claimed “I’d get such and such at auction for it”. Seriously people need their heads looked at sometimes.

Anyway. Rant over.

If you can stretch a couple of k on the Freelander 2 then you should nip into a facelift model. Economy isn’t bad in them either at 35mpg normally for me and around 40s on a run.

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
Flip sake when I was on the hunt for my Freelander I went to view one that was a complete shambles and a pure lie. Fella had 1 owner from new which sort of interested me and I challenged him on it. Was his wife’s aunt or something that actually owned it prior and the list of stuff needing doing was insane. I told him I wouldn’t waste his time as my offer would be so low and he claimed “I’d get such and such at auction for it”. Seriously people need their heads looked at sometimes.

Anyway. Rant over.

If you can stretch a couple of k on the Freelander 2 then you should nip into a facelift model. Economy isn’t bad in them either at 35mpg normally for me and around 40s on a run.

I can’t mate, so much in the pipeline, £3k is really it this year, I’d have to borrow, I’d love a rangie but not ready to be ruined yet!
A2B4F865-4D10-4EC0-B827-32887A165EDD.jpeg

that’s the one I went to buy, incorrect mileage, boot handle came off in my hand, rust bubbles everywhere, soaking carpets, engine light on, both front seats seriously worn, steering wheel pointing to 10 o’clock, clutch biting point about 10mm off the carpet, wouldn’t select reverse, grumbling from the prop shaft carrier bearings, very disappointed, I know it’s not a lot of money for a vehicle but ffs :worried: Looked great in the pics, 3 month warranty too lololol

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I really would like a Jimny too. A mate is selling one for half your budget but it has no MOT and I'm still tempted myself!

davyk31

RMS Regular
Does it need to be a 4x4 given the very limited number of times that facility is actually required. A small low powered car can also be very effective in bad conditions as they are light and have thin tyres. Also very easy to sell on a decent small car, I’m thinking Polo, Fiesta or Corsa and prices are in that order with Polos commanding the higher prices.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
True, my daughter had a 106 on winters and I used it on really bad days to get up Ligoniel hill when it was snowing etc.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Freelanders are great in the snow. I absolutely loved mine. It went anywhere, though getting it stopped on a very steep ice and snow covered hill proved challenging... 😂

FF6B9704-78FF-4E74-93BC-C0F8AA78EA6E.jpeg

About 9 months later I mangled it properly to the extent that the subframes were out of line and 1 sides wheelbase was 2 inches shorter than the other. Was surprised to see it’s still on the road some 12/13 years later... Careful when buying...

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
Does it need to be a 4x4 given the very limited number of times that facility is actually required. A small low powered car can also be very effective in bad conditions as they are light and have thin tyres. Also very easy to sell on a decent small car, I’m thinking Polo, Fiesta or Corsa and prices are in that order with Polos commanding the higher prices.

It does, it’s not only for bad weather, we’re at the top of a steep 1 mile long hill, it’s for trailer duties for me too, mainly garden releated, so a small jeepy thing would be useful, my van has a rear diffuser and not having a tow bar lol I’d also like something bigger and a bit ‘safer’ for ‘er indoors
I’m going to see an 08 Grand Vitara tomorrow with less than 80k on it,
Freelancers are great in the snow. I absolutely loved mine. It went anywhere, though getting it stopped on a very steep ice and snow covered hill proved challenging... 😂

View attachment 306485

About 9 months later I mangled it properly to the extent that the subframes were out of line and 1 sides wheelbase was 2 inches shorter than the other. Was surprised to see it’s still on the road some 12/13 years later... Careful when buying...

Haha I think I viewed that one today

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
It does, it’s not only for bad weather, we’re at the top of a steep 1 mile long hill, it’s for trailer duties for me too, mainly garden releated, so a small jeepy thing would be useful, my van has a rear diffuser and not having a tow bar lol
I’m going to see an 08 Grand Vitara tomorrow with less than 80k on it,

Haha I think I viewed that one today

JJZ 5158?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I seen it on the road about 6 months ago though it was driving through Downpatrick the opposite direction to what I was going. Was wondering if the person that owns it now is aware as to how badly damaged it was, and whether or not they’d want to know... I see it hasn’t been taxed in a couple of months, though still tested until late February 2021.

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
Was behind a suzuki swift the other day and wondered for a second whats that spinning under the bumper (rear diff must be missing a cover). I wasnt aware they came in a 4x4 setup, would imagine its a good job in the snow.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I thought the grand vitaras couldn’t be too bad seems to be plenty of farmers in them round here.
Edit it’s the older model I see farmers in.