4x4 under £3k

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Pretty sure the Peugeot engine in them wasnt very well interfaced with the car itself and led to a lot of problems, along with whatever problems the pug engines had on their own. Not something I'm intimately familiar with other than advice a number of years ago to steer clear.

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
Pretty sure the Peugeot engine in them wasnt very well interfaced with the car itself and led to a lot of problems, along with whatever problems the pug engines had on their own. Not something I'm intimately familiar with other than advice a number of years ago to steer clear.

Ah that’s a a shame, only problem I can find is the dpf on them, you’re right though, engine is french mainly in Megane

Last edited:

Mark_C

RMS Regular
You can't get them any more in decent shape but the best two cheap 4x4 are the Isuzu trooper or the Nissan patrol

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Volvo XC90 @MarkM ?
Needs the sleeve doing to engage the AWD in the transfer box. £150 part from Volvo and whatever labour to fit it. Seems to be a common problem with them.

Just had rear trailing arm bushes done and it's heading in for 4 wheel alignment tomorrow as it had been wearing the outer edge of the tyre on one side.

Rear engine mount also replaced with a meyle mount which reduced a lot of vibration from the engine. Still needs the front one done as a previous owner has fitted a non vacuum mount. Only noticeable when putting the car in reverse at idle.
Would be well within your budget and a few things to tinker with to get it right.
170k on it.

I'd like an X5 instead of it as I just can't warm to the Volvo.

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
A Peugeot 4007,outlander or c crosser aren't bad for the ££. 2 litre is vw engine 2.2 is pug. Both well tested engines etc.

Dave..

RMS Regular
A Peugeot 4007,outlander or c crosser aren't bad for the ££. 2 litre is vw engine 2.2 is pug. Both well tested engines etc.
I had an Outlander, great going thing and I had it in plenty of fields and was never stuck BUT mine had the balance shaft replaced, it costs quite a bit to get done.

117753075_10157230161166338_4846054324179196473_n.jpg

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
Dont know much about them but what about a lexus rx? In budget and would have plenty of kit inside and lexus’s tend to be reliable
UsedCarsNI.com - 2019 Lexus RX-Series 400H SR AUTO
Thanks, know nothing about them either but for some reason that scares me!
Thanks but no vag

Volvo XC90 @MarkM ?
Needs the sleeve doing to engage the AWD in the transfer box. £150 part from Volvo and whatever labour to fit it. Seems to be a common problem with them.

Just had rear trailing arm bushes done and it's heading in for 4 wheel alignment tomorrow as it had been wearing the outer edge of the tyre on one side.

Rear engine mount also replaced with a meyle mount which reduced a lot of vibration from the engine. Still needs the front one done as a previous owner has fitted a non vacuum mount. Only noticeable when putting the car in reverse at idle.
Would be well within your budget and a few things to tinker with to get it right.
170k on it.

I'd like an X5 instead of it as I just can't warm to the Volvo.
Thanks, tbh I think they’re just too big, been offered a nice x5 too and again big and doubt the 4x4 abilities
Octavia Scout?
Thanks but no vag!
Subaru Forester?
Not seen anything half decent in budget
Don’t know much about them but a customer of mine runs one of these and swears by it.

Good shout Simon, that’s a possibility :grinning:
Thanks, like the look of the Citroen! Blue one pretty close worth a look :grinning:

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
400h the wife’s got, only thing that’s went wrong in 5 years is that it needed a new radiator. Common problem as plastic edges crack, easy and cheap enough to sort. Can confirm it was alright in the snow this morning, nose heavy when it starts to slip.

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
400h the wife’s got, only thing that’s went wrong in 5 years is that it needed a new radiator. Common problem as plastic edges crack, easy and cheap enough to sort. Can confirm it was alright in the snow this morning, nose heavy when it starts to slip.

What’s year’s that one?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Only if you enjoy throwing your money into a bottomless pit.

Off road/bad weather capability I have no idea.

Ability will be tyre dependent.

Any 3.2V6 Cayennes about? Doesnt seem to be much goes wrong with them.

MarkM

RMS Regular
OP
MarkM
Ability will be tyre dependent.

Any 3.2V6 Cayennes about? Doesnt seem to be much goes wrong with them.

None about but it’s vag anyway so not an option!
Extremely deep hatred, irrational, maybe, true though!