'89 Ford Sierra Sapphire Cosworth

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Heartbreaking...

You are so lucky at the same time @BarryPort, it could have been much worse.

As long as you're alright that's the main thing.

KevM

RMS Regular
Oh FFS.

I seen the thread pop up and genuinely had it in my mind to comment that the Sierra would do more for me than your F355.

I scrolled down and that pic is honestly gutting...

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Oh FFS.

I seen the thread pop up and genuinely had it in my mind to comment that the Sierra would do more for me than your F355.

I scrolled down and that pic is honestly gutting...

I fully agree. It’s my baby, I’ve mugs, models & images of it all round my house.

Fingers crossed she’ll be back better than ever this time next year.

I’d take market value for the F355 if anybody’s wondering. Today has me put off classics for a while.
Thanks for your positive comments peeps.

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
Drives
Daily Hack
Gutting @BarryPort but as everyone else has said could have been so much worse. That would have been scary! I hope you get it back on the road again soon

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
Should be salvageable but we’l leave it up to the assessors.
Cancelling the slot was on my mind as I remember Volvo Nut or whatever you call him on here saying it allows them to stick on the kettle sooner lol.
Yeah totally of it happened in my garage I would have been f*cked.
Just thinking out loud you probably recognise the landscape - your people are from up there.

I feel for you man, pure ***** thing to have happen but nobody was injured and as you say it was on the road so the house and garage are safe!

Aye, I recognise the landscape!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Hope you can get it sorted, that's mad. Do you know what happened? Seen cars go up in flame for anything from fuel leaks to sound deadening/insulation touching an exhaust...

There may be damage from the heat that you might not spot straight away. Twisted or cracked metal, melted plastics and hoses, burnt off wiring, etc.

Hope it works out. Have seen a car rebuilt after an engine fire, but wasn't easy.

KevM

RMS Regular
The last time I was in a Sapphire Cosworth, it nearly did the same! It had just had a load of work done and my mate took it a run to check things over, but was out on the timing and the Turbo was white hot. We discovered it was trying to go on fire, while putting petrol in it! 8o|

That looks to be the fuel side of the engine?

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
The last time I was in a Sapphire Cosworth, it nearly did the same! It had just had a load of work done and my mate took it a run to check things over, but was out on the timing and the Turbo was white hot. We discovered it was trying to go on fire, while putting petrol in it! 8o|

That looks to be the fuel side of the engine?

Correct Kev & @svensktoppen.
It was along the fuel rail. Braided hoses so a bit surprised. No potential of abrasion either. Dickie regulator possibly.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Aw nightmare. Really gutted for you. But as mentioned as devastating as this may initially feel it could have been so very much worse.

this again reminds me to get a little fire extinguisher bolted into my car

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
Gutted for you Barry but happy you're ok at the same time. Could have been a lot worse and looks like you got it out just in time. Hopefully it is save-able 🤞

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Gutted for you, yes it could've been worse but it also could've been soo much better.

Have to say a fire extinguisher is always in my cars. Not sure if it will do anything if it's called into action but better looking at it than for it
20210223_171833.jpg

But of flat bar bent in a vice with a coat of paint mounted between both seat mounting bolts. Neat and simple.

Sorry if this sounds like a lecture or rubbing salt in the wounds but it's not intended that way

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Gutted for you, yes it could've been worse but it also could've been soo much better.

Have to say a fire extinguisher is always in my cars. Not sure if it will do anything if it's called into action but better looking at it than for itView attachment 318706
But of flat bar bent in a vice with a coat of paint mounted between both seat mounting bolts. Neat and simple.

Sorry if this sounds like a lecture or rubbing salt in the wounds but it's not intended that way

I apologise profusely I read that whole correspondence in Harry Endfield’s ‘You don’t want to that voice’

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Ah @BarryPort that's awful to see, gutted for you 😭

At least you're alright and the car isn't as bad as it could've been. She'll be back in no time!

KevM

RMS Regular
Do you think you'll get her back Barry? If it were me, I know its gutting, but id be taking the pay-out and go looking for another car.... You could buy the salvage for bits for the new one.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
OP
BarryPort
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Do you think you'll get her back Barry? If it were me, I know its gutting, but id be taking the pay-out and go looking for another car.... You could buy the salvage for bits for the new one.
The wife added a light that I’d never seen before.. she said ‘sure there’s the Focus RS you’ve always wanted’

The Penny dropped and as a man with a young family she’s right y’know

richie_mck

RMS Regular
That's a real sickener Barry and hope all goes well with the insurance assessor. I'd imagine genuine examples are so hard come by now so if you do decide to put it back together you're starting with a car you already know.

KevM

RMS Regular
The Focus would be worry-free driving. I love the old stuff, but you always have it in the back of your head - "Is this thing making it back home again this time?"

Id still keep the salvage. You'd get it for buttons and turn it into good £££.

You know your way around a Sierra - 17mm spanner and a star head screwdriver sorts most jobs :p

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
The wife added a light that I’d never seen before.. she said ‘sure there’s the Focus RS you’ve always wanted’

The Penny dropped and as a man with a young family she’s right y’know

Sorry to see what happened, but that's some woman you have there.