a-kem automotive

jshek007

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335,FN2, R56
I've sprayed my back and driveway with soft-wash on Wednesday. Of course we have since had really good weather.
I've noticed some of the weeds dying up and beginning to wilt now but nothing has really changed in terms of the ground being cleaner etc. Am I waiting for it to rain to wash it off and I will see better results, or is it just a waiting game before soft-wash will show brighter results

Thanks

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Just a waiting game. If anything dry weather is a good thing as the product is not washed away.

Weeds will die off/wilt, but you'll have to get the brush out eventually to clean up 😇

RevT

RMS Regular
I used the softwash as recommended and it didn’t do very much to be honest. It took the power washer to even notice a difference. 😂

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Sorry, did you guys expect it to somehow magically disappear dirt, or whatever is left of whatever you wanted to kill? Or did I just read that wrong, lol.

All it does is kill stuff. Once whatever you wanted to kill is dead then use a power washer or a broom or whatever to clean up the rest.

Basically the bigger the thing to kill the longer it takes to die. So the product acts quicker on things like moss and algae, but can take longer for larger weeds. In that it's no different from other weed killers like glyphosate (roundup), etc. They can take up to a week on some strong weeds. Once the weed starts to wilt that's it, it's dead.

RevT

RMS Regular
What I’m saying is that it didn’t seek to kill anything for me. The green on the fence and paving remained the same. It took to powerhosing to change anything so I’d have probably been better saving the £60 or whatever it was and just powerhosing anyway as it didn’t come off any easier because I used the softwash.

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
Not sure if the dilution ratio leaves it too weak, but it didn’t really seem to do much for me either. Few areas were even done twice and after 4/5 days could hardly tell the difference bar maybe slightly lighter. Ironically it did kill the couple of thistles, but grass and moss seemed unaffected.

Will maybe try mixing it a bit stronger before trying the fence.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Going "stronger" is not the solution here. It will just lead to other problems, like killing or harming other life you don't won't to harm. Either it works or it doesn't. But it can take time.

If it works on the thistles then the dilution is right. It's been dry for a long time now, what you see of the moss is probably already wilted and you can just brush it up, unless it's in a really wet or damp spot.

I went over weeds in the driveway a while back with Roundup/Glyphosate. First nothing happened at all. A week later some of it started to wilt. Now a couple of weeks later it's all stone dead.

Systemic killers like ddac or glyphosate work by breaking down cells from the inside. Different types of plants absorb them in different ways, at different speed. And the killers then take time to act.

It's not like you just spray it on and then the thing is dead, or magically dissolve.

jshek007

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335,FN2, R56
Sorry, did you guys expect it to somehow magically disappear dirt, or whatever is left of whatever you wanted to kill? Or did I just read that wrong, lol.

All it does is kill stuff. Once whatever you wanted to kill is dead then use a power washer or a broom or whatever to clean up the rest.

Basically the bigger the thing to kill the longer it takes to die. So the product acts quicker on things like moss and algae, but can take longer for larger weeds. In that it's no different from other weed killers like glyphosate (roundup), etc. They can take up to a week on some strong weeds. Once the weed starts to wilt that's it, it's dead.
Yes. Unfortunately that's what I thought would happen. Lol

I was expecting results similar to applying hypochlorite. Albeit a safer and slower product but producing similar results.

Might have got the wrong idea on my part

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane

Think everyone would expect it to "magically disappear" whatever they were using it for as per...

So many questions for me to respond to!

I promise I’ll have answers for you all as soon as I get my laptop charged as it’s easier than trying multi quote on my iPhone.

Need to answer this one specifically though.

I have a new product which is absolutely unreal. It’s a soft wash biocide which has a lot of uses but specifically moss killing is the big thing.

But when I say care needs to be taken I cannot stress this point enough.

I cleaned around my place with it yesterday mixed at 50:1 and all moss etc is gone. Within 1 day!

Red label does the same but that’s mixed at 8:1 and then there’s the bleaching nature of it which this new soft wash product doesn’t have any bleach in it.

Moss on the tarmac is dying already even with less than ideal conditions with the amount of rain immediately afterwards.

And my fence which I was going to powerhouse before paining. Well wait until you see this. 24hour apart

Window sills are cleaner than ever (I do have one which will be getting another dose) but pvc, roofs tiles / slates. This product is a game changer.

But I’m going to over emphasise this. You need to wear PPE.

I got a bubble of the diluted stuff (50:1) on my eye and it went all bloodshot. Not itchy and a few days later and it’s gone but as it’s a biocide the utmost care needs to be taken with it.

But for cleaning around the house and garden furniture (I sprayed all my rattan garden furniture also and moss and green between the weave has gone)

View attachment 394211View attachment 394212

Igxom

RMS Regular
If you are going down the DDAC route I would resist powerwashing it off. It works long term and can still be working months after application depending on the surface and conditions. It's one of the reasons that it makes an excellent roof cleaner, although you need patience to see results.

I personally would mix it a bit stronger than 50:1 for most things - probably closer to 40:1, but that's just what I have found works best from using it over the years.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
OP
Big Pimp
Drives
like im late
I've sprayed my back and driveway with soft-wash on Wednesday. Of course we have since had really good weather.
I've noticed some of the weeds dying up and beginning to wilt now but nothing has really changed in terms of the ground being cleaner etc. Am I waiting for it to rain to wash it off and I will see better results, or is it just a waiting game before soft-wash will show brighter results

Thanks

I used the softwash as recommended and it didn’t do very much to be honest. It took the power washer to even notice a difference. 😂

What I’m saying is that it didn’t seek to kill anything for me. The green on the fence and paving remained the same. It took to powerhosing to change anything so I’d have probably been better saving the £60 or whatever it was and just powerhosing anyway as it didn’t come off any easier because I used the softwash.
I’m going to try to answer everyone here as best as I can

Along with the product I also supplied you with a coshh sheet and a fact sheet.

In the fact sheet it describes how it works and why it works. It also importantly this;

Softwash Solution Biocide works by puncturing the cell wall of the live biofilm, killing the organism down to the root. The organism dies and will eventually disappear leaving a surface that is fully disinfected and so will giving longevity of clean time and value for money.

Anecdotally, after treatment the surface can look noticeably worse, a darker red or green perhaps. This is the Solution doing it’s job. Once organism cells are punctured, they may release beta carotene and chlorophyll; essentially they bleed then die. However, over time the staining will begin to lighten and will eventually disappear.

The Softwash Solutions treatment, although not instant, gives proven longevity against power washing alone or aggresive, often unlicenced, chemical treatment. A maintenance program of treatment will help keep the surface permanently clean, providing a long term solution.

Cleaning time frames will depend on the type of biofilm and the biological load present on the surface being treated. For example, red staining: the algae known as Trentepohlia can take approximately 1 week and green algae/Mildew can disappear within 24 hours. Black moulds/fungi like Aspergillus Niger will take longer and, although the growth will be killed and the growth cycle halted, any residual staining may need further treatments/rinsing

Long story short and as has been described by a couple of the guys above this is a method of permanently eradicating the problem but time wasn’t built in a day

But I promise you it works.

I sold some to a contractor who has been tasked with cleaning an old building

This guy would be rough and ready and of the ilk that red label and a petrol power washer will clean everything.

He sent me these photos 24 hours apart.

It’s not clean like new in a day but he can see the difference and importantly so can the customer.

Stick with it and trust the process. That’s where the magic is.

af70f506-9fbd-42d6-87ea-540b4a4156fa.jpeg
IMG_4884.jpeg
02bfc491-a6de-4f3c-8ff0-c5ad721de480.jpeg

A6Avant

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Avant
What way is the Ultragloss applied? Spray on straight and wipe off or is it a bit more labour intensive than that? I usually use Hybrid but since getting the black car it leaves streaks and no matter what i try i cant get it right. Perhaps Ultragloss might work better?

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
What way is the Ultragloss applied? Spray on straight and wipe off or is it a bit more labour intensive than that? I usually use Hybrid but since getting the black car it leaves streaks and no matter what i try i cant get it right. Perhaps Ultragloss might work better?
Spray on rinse off it couldn't be easier.

Edit you only use a small spray of hybrid for the whole panel and not if the panel is warm. I never had any trouble streaking on black before.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
As above, for Hybrid. Apply on a bone dry car. And never on warm panels. Basically just one or two pulls of the trigger for a panel. I use one towel to wipe it over the panel, and a second dry one to buff and make sure there is no excess product left at all.

Black is a bastid, the tiniest mark or speck of dust is visible from miles away 🙈

With something like Hybrid, the towel will go damp as you work over the car. And that can leave "streaks" if not buffed out straight away with a second dry towel.

On the white or red or yellow cars it's no issue at all. It's just black that's a total pita, lol.

Ultragloss is applied on a wet car before final rinse. You can spray Hydraclean on the windscreen at the same time. Then just rinse. If leaves a nice glossy shine. But Hybrid is even glossier and lasts longer. Basically use Ultragloss with every wash, and Hybrid maybe once a month (or however often you like).

On a black car, make sure to use filtered water for at least the final rinse with Ultragloss. Otherwise you'll get spots. The spots will come off easily with something like Hybrid, but that kind of defeats the purpose of Ultragloss.

Again, no issue with the red, white, or yellow cars.

Basically black is just a nightmare to clean 😅

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
OP
Big Pimp
Drives
like im late
As the other guys have said use less hybrid than you think you need.

Keep turning the towel so you’re working with a dry section. Or use a second towel. Or the big blue buffing towel as it’s massive and has a smooth side and a fluffy side.

I’ve a black car and van and only ever use hybrid on them. If I apply it to the bonnet of the X5 in sunlight when it’s warm I can get streaking but the easiest way to get rid of that streaking is to spray it again and wipe off quickly.

I think peoples expectations were maybe raised by the pics of the fence that was treated back a few pages and then a pic 24 hours later where it had radically improved. Alway best to under promise and over deliver.
But it was time and date stamped and that was really the results so don’t know what else I could have said or done.

Ghost

RMS Regular
As above, for Hybrid. Apply on a bone dry car. And never on warm panels. Basically just one or two pulls of the trigger for a panel. I use one towel to wipe it over the panel, and a second dry one to buff and make sure there is no excess product left at all.

Black is a bastid, the tiniest mark or speck of dust is visible from miles away 🙈

With something like Hybrid, the towel will go damp as you work over the car. And that can leave "streaks" if not buffed out straight away with a second dry towel.

On the white or red or yellow cars it's no issue at all. It's just black that's a total pita, lol.

Ultragloss is applied on a wet car before final rinse. You can spray Hydraclean on the windscreen at the same time. Then just rinse. If leaves a nice glossy shine. But Hybrid is even glossier and lasts longer. Basically use Ultragloss with every wash, and Hybrid maybe once a month (or however often you like).

On a black car, make sure to use filtered water for at least the final rinse with Ultragloss. Otherwise you'll get spots. The spots will come off easily with something like Hybrid, but that kind of defeats the purpose of Ultragloss.

Again, no issue with the red, white, or yellow cars.

Basically black is just a nightmare to clean 😅
Thanks Ross.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Just a quick shout out to the Twist Loop drying towel I ordered recently. Only got using it briefly tonight for the first time on a touchless wash but holy jamoly, as soon as I put it on the glass it sucked down harder than a $5 Vietnamese hooker (soldier boy)!

Look forward to seeing how it holds up against 2 cars being done in a proper wash/dry.