a-kem automotive

davyk31

RMS Regular
@Big Pimp whats happened to the dilution instructions on the bottles or is everything now not to be diluted any further? Nothing I bought recently mentions dilution.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
OP
Big Pimp
Drives
like im late
@Big Pimp whats happened to the dilution instructions on the bottles or is everything now not to be diluted any further? Nothing I bought recently mentions dilution.
The only product I forgot dilution instructions on (but I have new labels coming next week ) was PreClean

what else doesn’t have the dilutions added that you’ve found mate?

davyk31

RMS Regular
I have Lazer came this week and also the wheel cleaner, can’t remember the new name. Got articulate a while back and again no dilution details.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Lazer: about 1:50 for pretty much anything, from oil spills or bike chains to round the kitchen or bath room
Articulate/"pre-wash": about 1:20
Cleanse/wheel cleaner: neat is how I use it

You can play around with those. I know some have used Cleanse at 1:2 or 1:3 just to eek out a bit more. You can dilute Articulate to 1:50 of it's just light dirt. Or mix it with Lazer if the car is really messy/grimy/greasy.

Last edited:

GavRS182

RMS Regular
Drives
RS Clio 182
When will 2l bottles of Gleam be in stock again? Seems like it's only been 1l available for quite some time

Alastair_S

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTI PP
what else doesn’t have the dilutions added

Got Cleanse recently with no dilutions, instructions, or COSHH, just a plain label. I'm familiar with the product but thinking more if any go out to a new customer who wont be aware of it's use and potential hazards.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
OP
Big Pimp
Drives
like im late
Got Cleanse recently with no dilutions, instructions, or COSHH, just a plain label. I'm familiar with the product but thinking more if any go out to a new customer who wont be aware of it's use and potential hazards.
The only reason that happened is I ran out of the proper labels and my printers haven’t sent me the new batch down yet. I knew it was a repeat order and you were familiar with the product.

I dumped (foolishly) all my old labels with the old branding although I didn’t foresee a time when I ran Out of my new labels

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
@Big Pimp whats the difference between the anti moss and the soft wash stuff? Would be for application onto tar and kerbs to remove light moss.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Anti-moss works specifically on moss and algaes and is far less toxic to other plants, animals, and yourself. I just used some the other week while it was still warm, it works great.

The Softwash will kill anything. It's great if you also have weeds and whatnot, for example. You just need to be careful not to get it where you don't want it, including on yourself. Where covering clothes, face mask, etc. And be extra careful if you have pets. It's fine once it's dry.

It's really too late for either now though. They both work best of you have a couple of warm dry days for them to do their thing. They're not acids that just burn away the green stuff on top but leave everything intact underneath. They work by getting absorbed and killing from the inside out. Depending on what you spray it on it might take a couple of days to a couple of weeks. But it will die.

For the same reason, follow dilutions. There is no point at all "going stronger" with these. They just don't work that way. And Softwash especially can be quite toxic to both humans and animals if not diluted properly.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
OP
Big Pimp
Drives
like im late
Anti-moss works specifically on moss and algaes and is far less toxic to other plants, animals, and yourself. I just used some the other week while it was still warm, it works great.

The Softwash will kill anything. It's great if you also have weeds and whatnot, for example. You just need to be careful not to get it where you don't want it, including on yourself. Where covering clothes, face mask, etc. And be extra careful if you have pets. It's fine once it's dry.

It's really too late for either now though. They both work best of you have a couple of warm dry days for them to do their thing. They're not acids that just burn away the green stuff on top but leave everything intact underneath. They work by getting absorbed and killing from the inside out. Depending on what you spray it on it might take a couple of days to a couple of weeks. But it will die.

For the same reason, follow dilutions. There is no point at all "going stronger" with these. They just don't work that way. And Softwash especially can be quite toxic to both humans and animals if not diluted properly.
Perfectly described by @svensktoppen there. Softwash is approx 15x strength of AntiMoss too

Actually was talking to the chemist of softwash on Thursday and asked him the specific question about temperature humidity etc. and he believes softwash will still work at this time of the year whereas anti moss won’t.

As with anything though, large deposits of moss etc. should be scraped / brushed first and then apply the biocide

I applied softwash approx 5 weeks ago and it done what it was supposed to by killing all green etc.

Last weekend I also took to washing and cleaning all the soffit and quite a bit of moss as well as dirt fell onto the patio etc. so I washed it all down.

What I noticed was the whole place was easier to clean and wash and the chemist said that would be correct as even though all the stuff had been killed it was still partly present but washing would get rid of whatever residues were left behind as the spores etc. which bind them to the surface would be killed too

Anyway, off on a tangent there. Sven answered your question perfectly

Dan

RMS Regular
What are people using to physically scrape the moss from the likes of a driveway where the tar is very dimpled?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Just a brush and a lot of elbow grease. A power washer strong enough to shift it would probably mess up the tarmac? Or at least leave a mess that would have to be swept anyway?

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Cleaning tarmac is a nightmare. If using a power washer it's incredibly easy to leave stripes etc which are then a nightmare to shift themselves.

As stated above a good stuff brush and plenty of effort will see it looking a lot better. Probably not the best time of year to be doing this as its much much easier to shift when it's dry (it also allows the various products to work a lot better).

A power sweeper/brush on a strimmer (nylon rather than wire) will make the job a lot easier if you have a good strimmer at home. They can be got for around £20 or so.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Cleaning tarmac is a nightmare. If using a power washer it's incredibly easy to leave stripes etc which are then a nightmare to shift themselves.

As stated above a good stuff brush and plenty of effort will see it looking a lot better. Probably not the best time of year to be doing this as its much much easier to shift when it's dry (it also allows the various products to work a lot better).

A power sweeper/brush on a strimmer (nylon rather than wire) will make the job a lot easier if you have a good strimmer at home. They can be got for around £20 or so.
I bought this a few years ago. Really good with my old Karcher. Use it on the bloc-pave and tar-mac. The extra length of the lance also means that you're not bent at an awkward angle for a few hours. Ask me how I know! Used the original Karcher lance (with extension) and ended up on morphine in the Ulster after the muscles in my back locked up. Couldn't walk!

There are some vendors who do extra long extensions, nearly a metre long.

Dan

RMS Regular

I’ve run out of elbow grease so I like the sound of a strimmer

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I used my power washer with dirt blaster attachment at a low angle (I stuck to less than 45 degrees) and was amazed at the general crap I blew out. Don't put your lance face on to the tarmac and up close and it should limit any damage.

Wouldnt want to do it often, but the odd year ain't done much harm yet.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Lidl have electric brushes in the odd time with a few different attachments. Got one a couple of years ago for the artificial grass but also good at scrubbing the pavers cleaning edges.

Don’t think it was anywhere near this sort of money though, more like £50!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Just get a good brush and put your back into it, decent exercise too 😁 😇 It's only once in a blue moon after all. And then it's stuck rusting away in the back of the garage among all the other detritus of rarely/ever used stuff, lol. I'm not even sure it's actually less work either.