Airbag help/steering wheel removal plz..

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
need to remove my steering wheel today on the coupe. I'll disconnect the battery but is there anything else you can do to prevent the airbag from accidentally going off during the procedure...

theres a few bolts at the back of the steering wheel which i assume will allow me to remove the airbag and get at the main nut that holds the wheel to the hub..is this assumption correct?

plz dont post any useless responses.

stacey

Drives
astra mk3 turbo
just disconnecting the battery is fine, thats all i didi on the astra,the onli thing is you'll have the airbag light on all the time so you'll need to take the bulb out.

cooksterni

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus ST-3
disconnect the battery and leave it for an hour or two then fire away, that all i done. I have a fiesta and there was also 2 nuts at the back of the steering wheel which let the airbag off and ya can get at the main nut :grinning:

dont drop the airbag or anything tho, i been told they can hold the charge for up to 24hours.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
OP
VEN©M
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
ok, merci. im sure ill get hit in the face by a 600mph airbag explosion anyhow!

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
I dont even turn the ignition off. Disconnecting the battery and all that is just for full H&S freaks. The way an airbag works is that it has to get a 12v supply to go off. How will pulling the plug out give it one?

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
well depending on the car that is, some older ones use a mechanical air bag, toyotas, hondas etc,so hitting it a good dig with a hammer when the battery is disconnected can still set it off, i know as i done this in the workshop, needless to say hammer went out through the rear windscreen!
dont touch the pins at the back of the air bag either, as the static in your body can be enough to set it off!
ALWAYS KEEP AN AIR BAG STORED IN A STEEL CONTAINER , OFF THE GROUND AND AWAY FROM THE WET IF IT IS GOING TO BE OUT OF A CAR FOR MORE THAN A COUPLE OF HOURS

that last bit is just health and safety, cupboard in the garage does rightly

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Why where u hitting the airbag with a hammer Bibby? In-fact dont answer that!

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
RMS_CLK said:
Why where u hitting the airbag with a hammer Bibby? In-fact dont answer that!

it was a boy in work bought a carina e for 100 quid, all he wanted off it were the headlamps, front windscreen, and doors, so the rest we wrecked one lunch time, hit it with a hammer to show one of the apprentices what a mechanical, or air bag's force was,
have photos in work of it being wrecked, used it as a bmx ramp, needless to say not being good on a bmx, i bunnyhopped off the front, landed on the front wheel, and cut me arm open

VEN©M

RMS Regular
OP
VEN©M
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Max said:
did u get it sorted yet? maybe the rms hyundai guru could help.... pm daly :p

OH MY WORD! OH MY WORD! OH MY WORD! OH MY WORD! OH MY WORD! OH MY WORD! OH MY WORD! OH MY WORD! OH MY WORD! OH MY WORD! OH MY WORD! OH MY WORD! OH MY WORD! OH MY WORD! OH MY WORD! OH MY WORD! OH MY WORD! OH MY WORD!

why do hyundai incessantly make everything impossible to work with.

no i didnt have any joy, the 'bolts' at the back of the airbag aren't bolts but look like very fine pins - almost like the wrong end of a very small allen key....is this normal or is it just korean ingenuity that came up with these odd shaped things!

some call D4LY before i ruin something. sigh...the new wheel will have to be patient!

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
The end of a very small allen key would be just like a very small bolt i presume. Wouldn't a very small socket remove these? Possibly a special tool is required from hyundai, but theres bound to be some way to get them off - improvise lad! Pry-bars and a block hammer! lol

VEN©M

RMS Regular
OP
VEN©M
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
gonna try gripping them with needle nose pliars and see if they twist/turn out.

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
try using a torex socket, normally a 30 or a 40 pretty much what every car has for air bag bolts,
they look like a six sided star almost to describe it a bit easier

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
what do they look like?, 30 and 40 is just the number of the socket, like 7mm and 6mm is on an allen key, think they represent the size on the torex also, ie 30 is 3mm, and 40 is 4mm

VEN©M

RMS Regular
OP
VEN©M
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
they look like the straight end of an allen key only very fine, probably only 3mm wide. difficult to describe.....

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
straight end of an allen key, you mean plain screw driver? take a photo and email it to me, i will tell you exactly what you need

VEN©M

RMS Regular
OP
VEN©M
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
tis tricky, they're hard to see cos they are inside a recess in the back of the wheel which certainly isn't big enough to get a socket into.

dont have a digi camera either but i'll try. and it looks like the very find end of a screw driver but i think its hexagonal.

vza

i ended up takin mine to a garage cuz i couldnt those *******s off,he whipped out a small socket and it was done no bother
ive been told when placed airbag down they can shoot 60 feet in the air when set off :laughing:

VEN©M

RMS Regular
OP
VEN©M
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
hmm.... where oh where will i get these, would the pocket_rocket have them?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.