Alfa 159 Ti Sportwagon - 1750Tbi

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Lovely indeed, such an elegant looking car.

I would love a black car but I couldn't be arsed with living with one through the road salt of winter!

My sister is getting one of these in the next few days (diesel though), i will be doing a bixenon conversion on it for her. Will let you know the results but I have read its a great job.

Plug and play from retrofitlab

Alfa Romeo 159 Bi-xenon MH1

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
OP
andy9eleven
Drives
All broken
Thanks for all the good wishes. Hadn't expected it to get that much love. I even got a wave this morning from a chap in an Alfa 4C so nice to see fellow owners being friendly.

Day 6 now and starting to cruise a bit more so the mpg has risen to a slightly more tolerable level. I definitely some remap wizardry might be necessary though! Also have washed it 4 times. Good lord. My last black car was metallic so not too bad to keep clean, but this is solid black. You can literally see the dust in the air land on as you dry it off.

Noticed a cracked fog light so new one ordered. Wiper blades changed out for fresh ones and awaiting new badges. I met up with Belfast Dent Repair this morning but sadly there is a bit of box section running along inside the door exactly where there is a carpark ding, so no way to get a tool into without pulling the door apart and cutting access holes. There's a bit of road rash on the front bumper so I might end up having to get a bodyshop to look at it :worried:

PSX_20170915_131054.jpg

On the plus side I've managed to hook up the oem bluetooth head unit to phone and media player and found a Bose subwoofer in the boot which I hadn't expected!

@dub you asked for a pic of the boot so here goes. eBay custom fit rubber mat to catch the dog hair and sand. Decent enough size but quite a lip to get in. More like a hatch back than an estate. There's also quite a few cubby holes in the boot so I've got first aid kit, fire extinguisher, hi vis vest, dog leads etc all neatly tucked away in behind the doors which is nice.

PSX_20170914_115325.jpg

Still finding some nice wee details that make it feel a bit more special. Love this little pic of the turbo on the boost gauge for example...

PSX_20170911_230020.jpg

PhilM

RMS Regular
You are a natural writer if you didn't already know.

Nothing overly contrived or forced.

Anyways lovely car health (and reliability) to enjoy

Phil

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Thanks for all the good wishes. Hadn't expected it to get that much love. I even got a wave this morning from a chap in an Alfa 4C so nice to see fellow owners being friendly.

Day 6 now and starting to cruise a bit more so the mpg has risen to a slightly more tolerable level. I definitely some remap wizardry might be necessary though! Also have washed it 4 times. Good lord. My last black car was metallic so not too bad to keep clean, but this is solid black. You can literally see the dust in the air land on as you dry it off.

Noticed a cracked fog light so new one ordered. Wiper blades changed out for fresh ones and awaiting new badges. I met up with Belfast Dent Repair this morning but sadly there is a bit of box section running along inside the door exactly where there is a carpark ding, so no way to get a tool into without pulling the door apart and cutting access holes. There's a bit of road rash on the front bumper so I might end up having to get a bodyshop to look at it :worried:

View attachment 166164

On the plus side I've managed to hook up the oem bluetooth head unit to phone and media player and found a Bose subwoofer in the boot which I hadn't expected!

@dub you asked for a pic of the boot so here goes. eBay custom fit rubber mat to catch the dog hair and sand. Decent enough size but quite a lip to get in. More like a hatch back than an estate. There's also quite a few cubby holes in the boot so I've got first aid kit, fire extinguisher, hi vis vest, dog leads etc all neatly tucked away in behind the doors which is nice.

View attachment 166163

Still finding some nice wee details that make it feel a bit more special. Love this little pic of the turbo on the boost gauge for example...

View attachment 166165

My sister picked hers up this evening, i was pleasantly surprised to see the turbo diesel has a boost gauge as well, over by the fuel and temp gauges!

I had a drive, its a lovely thing to drive.

My only criticism is, it has the most complicated stalks ever.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
OP
andy9eleven
Drives
All broken
@roverspeed lol, yep I drove for about half an hour unable to turn off the rear wiper. You can't see the stalk behind the wheel either! Also I think the auto lights do sidelights then dips. Not seen that before.

@PhilM thanks for the comments. I was just bored the other night, not tired and the kids were all in bed so I started rambling and couldn't stop!

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
@roverspeed lol, yep I drove for about half an hour unable to turn off the rear wiper. You can't see the stalk behind the wheel either! Also I think the auto lights do sidelights then dips. Not seen that before.

@PhilM thanks for the comments. I was just bored the other night, not tired and the kids were all in bed so I started rambling and couldn't stop!

Yup i think you are right, i noticed when playing with it. There is a sensitivity setting in the menu for the autolights.

Very Italian placement of boot release button, up beside the dome light switches. And the Mile reset button is down by the foglight switches :-D

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
OP
andy9eleven
Drives
All broken
Yup i think you are right, i noticed when playing with it. There is a sensitivity setting in the menu for the autolights.

Very Italian placement of boot release button, up beside the dome light switches. And the Mile reset button is down by the foglight switches :-D

I did not know any of these things, thank you!!!! If you work out how to get the dash info panel to default to the Trip display rather than the date when you first turn on the ignition that would be good!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Lovely! Do they feel quick? I'd never even heard of that engine!

Do I get royalties for getting a mention in the book?!

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
OP
andy9eleven
Drives
All broken
Sorry no royalties!

In terms of feeling fast, sort of... First and second gear seem quite short, but 3rd upwards it gets into its stride. It's 200bhp, K03 turbo I think. Same engine in the Giulietta QV with K04 gives 237bhp. I'm in discussions about a remap. If it had 230 I think it would be pretty much perfect. The nice thing is that this year/engine combo was 120kg lighter than the earlier cars. Combined with decent (quick and weighty) steering and brembo 4 pots as standard I'm enjoying it as a pleasantly different family car.