Alfa 159 Ti Sportwagon - 1750Tbi

Robber

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiats mainly
Nice. Had a diesel one which I loved, but it was diesel. 1.75 sounds like a better job. Handling would have been my main criticism, also too low for the crappy roads round where I live. Was great when we only had two kids, but the third one ruined it. Did some touring in France with it, good times. Mine was red, loved the red.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
OP
andy9eleven
Drives
All broken
Little update. With the red stitching and piping in the cabin I thought it was a bit odd that the gaitors were just plain black. So ordered two new suede and red ones from top gaitors on eBay. Once again they were spot on in shape and holes. Got them fitted last night and what a pain to do, but I like them now. Makes it look a bit more consistent now.

PSX_20170916_154210.jpg

PSX_20170916_154336.jpg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Get multiecuscan downloaded, it will be your friend. Failing that, talk to JRCauto in lisburn. Tbi's have a wee reputation for throwing codes but usually not too serious..

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
OP
andy9eleven
Drives
All broken
@FM155 will look it up nd give it a whirl. I'm going to guess it's an O2 sensor. Noticed mpg has dropped a lot past few days and I imagine the last owner for 5 years hasn't been driving it the way I have! Probably de-coking itself!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The 2.4 20V JTD turbo's are animals but are really in no way economical, better off with the tbi as it's a lighter engine by far. I had a 156 Saloon 2.4 20V. In all honesty it nearly broke me as it had been abused by the previous owner and I ended up fixing lots of it. When it was going well, it was little short of a-maz-ing. Drivetrain on the 156's just wasn't up to the weight or torque of that motor though. From what I hear the 159 is much more able for it. Tbi is the right engine I would say.
IMG_4033.JPG

IMG_4034.JPG

Loved it inside even though I had vowed never to have another light coloured interior after a mid 90's cavalier that was soooo difficult to keep clean. I did so much work to this, fixed everything and sold it with still only 36K on it, still appears to be going well.

Big Jon

RMS Regular
Drives
G87 M2
Loving the 159. We traded our 2.0Jtdm Ti wagon in for a BMW back in June and apart from going through batteries it was fairly trouble free.
Only thing on the Tbi is to leave oil changes no longer than 10,000 miles as there were quite a few popping turbos.

Big Jon

RMS Regular
Drives
G87 M2
The 2.4 20V JTD turbo's are animals but are really in no way economical, better off with the tbi as it's a lighter engine by far. I had a 156 Saloon 2.4 20V. In all honesty it nearly broke me as it had been abused by the previous owner and I ended up fixing lots of it. When it was going well, it was little short of a-maz-ing. Drivetrain on the 156's just wasn't up to the weight or torque of that motor though. From what I hear the 159 is much more able for it. Tbi is the right engine I would say.
View attachment 166533

View attachment 166534

Loved it inside even though I had vowed never to have another light coloured interior after a mid 90's cavalier that was soooo difficult to keep clean. I did so much work to this, fixed everything and sold it with still only 36K on it, still appears to be going well.

Also had one of these from new and it could shift. Typical Alfa build quality let it down with a bad seal in the front passenger side wheel arch meant soggy carpets and a fusty smell which would never quite go away despite new carpets under warranty.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Looks brilliant! Any external plans or is everything happening under the bonnet?