AlpineF30’s Bargain Basement E60 530d

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
where do you see them advertised for £12-1500 ? or did you mean on top of his car?

Facebook marketplace and various pages, Gumtree etc. I’d a quick glance the other night and there was 5 or 6 under £1600 on Facebook alone.

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Facebook marketplace and various pages, Gumtree etc. I’d a quick glance the other night and there was 5 or 6 under £1600 on Facebook alone.
Must get a nosy, These would make a great daily at that kind of money, they still look presentable when clean and standard, alot of car for the ££

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Must get a nosy, These would make a great daily at that kind of money, they still look presentable when clean and standard, alot of car for the ££
A lot of headaches with their atrocious W electrical systems too.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineF30
Drives
BMW M3
A lot of headaches with their atrocious W electrical systems too.

Yeah totally I think if you get into one you need t go in with your eyes open. I have the dealer software and have all the gear there to do the coding,diagnostics and updates so hoping its not as much of an issue for me.

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
I bought mine last Xmas an think I’ve done 300 mile in it
A2CB7634-C88C-4670-BD1C-396E59BB56BF.jpeg

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Yeah totally I think if you get into one you need t go in with your eyes open. I have the dealer software and have all the gear there to do the coding,diagnostics and updates so hoping its not as much of an issue for me.

Doing away with the “bong” every time you turn the key would make them awesome. It doesn’t matter if a number plate bulb is out; ignorance isn’t bliss... 😂

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
I love mine despite the fact Bluetooth doesn't work, parking sensors don't work, headlights are crap.
Lovely car to drive and easy enough to work on.

Would love an estate for the wife to cart wains about in. Can squeeze 3 car seats in.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineF30
Drives
BMW M3
I love mine despite the fact Bluetooth doesn't work, parking sensors don't work, headlights are crap.
Lovely car to drive and easy enough to work on.

Would love an estate for the wife to cart wains about in. Can squeeze 3 car seats in.

Two things on this one thankfully that does work for now lol

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineF30
Drives
BMW M3
Only thing I hate about mine is changing sidelight bulb
Think thats why this one has both blown last owner couldn’t be assed changing them. Thankfully with the 535 I had I went through a wild phase of changing them out for LED’s so thankfully I am well versed in it lol

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineF30
Drives
BMW M3
Nowt wrong with that!

Less to go wrong too and cheap enough to fix if it does.

Long live old motors that's what I say!

This is it have heard people paying Bavarian more for a repair on a 320d than what I paid for the whole car.

Right gathering up the bits I need to get the car sorted.

Still need to get the wheel off but I have no spare at the moment and my Dad’s mate currently has his car on my lift so can’t get the car up to get the wheels off.

Got a set of pads and wear sensors today, the discs don’t seem that old so they will do for now.

Next item is the angel eye errors.

Looked online and the cheapest set of bulbs is £20 which is a bit steep for 2 halogen bulbs.

Can get a LED set for 6 quid which leads on tk the next question what looks better.

Halogen

40DFEC14-EDE3-4AB8-A77E-427410055339.png

LED

6AD46F46-8918-4BAD-AB30-CA67E5575F8B.jpeg

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Fantastic horse, I knew you’d have another one of these lol

Looks fresh in the silver, I’ll have to get a run up to get a look round her

For this generation BMW I think they look better with the halogen rings

Last edited:

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Halogen as well.
Leds will likely break your heart with errors and blowing.
Get the correct halogen bulbs fit and forget.

@AlpineF30 The actual bulbs (not a common type 10w 12v from memory) can be got without having to replace the entire reflector bit with a bit of work.

Bear in mind if they have been broken or out on that car for a while then the error counter might have shut the circuit off and no power getting to the bulb. Current bulbs might actually be ok.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineF30
Drives
BMW M3
Halogen as well.
Leds will likely break your heart with errors and blowing.
Get the correct halogen bulbs fit and forget.

@AlpineF30 The actual bulbs (not a common type 10w 12v from memory) can be got without having to replace the entire reflector bit with a bit of work.

Bear in mind if they have been broken or out on that car for a while then the error counter might have shut the circuit off and no power getting to the bulb. Current bulbs might actually be ok.

Really? That might be a better option then as if i can swap the bulb into the housing will save me.

I looked last night and Halogen is definitely the way to go LED is too felt spec.

I will actually have a look tonight to see if they are actually still in the car and will do a code clear to see if that brings them to life :grinning: Totally forgot about the error count so may be okay only thing is what caused them to throw errors in the first place

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Really? That might be a better option then as if i can swap the bulb into the housing will save me.

I looked last night and Halogen is definitely the way to go LED is too felt spec.

I will actually have a look tonight to see if they are actually still in the car and will do a code clear to see if that brings them to life :grinning: Totally forgot about the error count so may be okay only thing is what caused them to throw errors in the first place

Yes, you cut or melt off the little plastic welded "rivet".
That frees the black connector from the reflector body. The bulb then just pushes and turns out. It wont come out the front of the reflector as the hole is slightly too wee.
Drill out the reflector slightly to allow you to fit the bulb through that way for future removals (saves having to pull apart the reflector and connector).
Superglue the black connector back into the reflector body and job done.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineF30
Drives
BMW M3
Yes, you cut or melt off the little plastic welded "rivet".
That frees the black connector from the reflector body. The bulb then just pushes and turns out. It wont come out the front of the reflector as the hole is slightly too wee.
Drill out the reflector slightly to allow you to fit the bulb through that way for future removals (saves having to pull apart the reflector and connector).
Superglue the black connector back into the reflector body and job done.

Loving it :laughing: Thanks that will save me a small fortune :grinning:

Do you know what bulb is it I need?

Cheers

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Loving it :laughing: Thanks that will save me a small fortune :grinning:

Do you know what bulb is it I need?

Cheers

I think it is a 12v 10w Phillips that is standard in them from memory.
I couldn't get one like that in any of the local motorfactors, they had 5w and 20w IIRC which will either blow or cause errors.
I ordered some (non Phillips) off the internet somewhere, cant recall where though :worried:

This isn't where I got it but it is the style of bulb;

Last edited:

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineF30
Drives
BMW M3
Got the 530 onto the ramp this evening to get the wheels off.

32617356-12E9-4A41-B9E8-7CCA2632DFE5.jpeg

So the wheel has been welded before and the weld has cracked again. Hoping Michael will still be able to weld it for me as its been welded previously.

F807D0D9-FB75-4318-93DD-18ABFF27C7A1.jpeg

Got a look round the headlights both angel eye bulbs are still in place so will use Tool32 to reset the counter values to see if they power up.

Car had a bit of trouble getting started as well the previous owner stated he put a set of glow plugs into it but if that doesn’t cure it then it needs the glow plug relay replaced.

Thankfully I have one here and a set of new plugs so will throw it into it.

So this is its home for the next while.

Will try to get the pads put into it this weekend and get the oil changed. After having a hoke round it I think its a good base car just have been neglected so hopefully some maintenance and it will be good to go.

E5ABC13F-7B3C-499F-AA38-76BC164840C5.jpeg

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineF30
Drives
BMW M3
Busy day tomorrow.

Oil change
Oil level sensor replacement
Pads for the rear with a new wear sensor

Went with Triple QX oil basically ECP’s own brand, met the standards I needed it to and I am not being an oil snob with this car as the oil that was in the car was absolutely filthy and was well past its best as it was far too thin.

My Dad swears by Triple QX for his car and is this is only a work horse it will do the job rightly

72ADDA81-B3FD-444A-89C3-F8487D14FEBB.jpeg

RevT

RMS Regular
Busy day tomorrow.

Oil change
Oil level sensor replacement
Pads for the rear with a new wear sensor

Went with Triple QX oil basically ECP’s own brand, met the standards I needed it to and I am not being an oil snob with this car as the oil that was in the car was absolutely filthy and was well past its best as it was far too thin.

My Dad swears by Triple QX for his car and is this is only a work horse it will do the job rightly

View attachment 268998

Oil is oil most of the time, alot of the higher costs are due to advertising/branding. As long as you’re changing it regularly they’re all the same. My 380000 mile A4 has only ever got Comma/Mannol (the cheapest thing on the shelf), however it was changed every 8K and it’s never missed a beat on the original engine.

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
Oil is oil most of the time, alot of the higher costs are due to advertising/branding. As long as you’re changing it regularly they’re all the same. My 380000 mile A4 has only ever got Comma/Mannol (the cheapest thing on the shelf), however it was changed every 8K and it’s never missed a beat on the original engine.
Comma isn’t cheap 😂😂
AD would be cheaper

RevT

RMS Regular
Comma is dirt cheap when I got the stuff at cost price. A service for the A4 is about £20 a go for a gallon of oil and filter.