Any electric car drivers on here?

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Just got my new M3 RWD yesterday. Awesome car and turns heads in rural Fermanagh. Still coming to grips with the technology but so far impressed with the vehicle.
Welcome to RMS. Get a new thread started with pics of the Tesla!

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Nearly 2k miles in on the iX3 and it just gets better. Makes it even sweeter that the last 4 full charges have been FOC!

DCD855AA-4182-4D8E-85DF-7CC92D1D0291.jpeg

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Makes it even sweeter that the last 4 full charges have been FOC!

Wanted to try the local public charging so plugged in outside work and walked the 60 seconds to the office. Back 4 hours later to a fully charged car for free. BUT, the sooner they bring in overstay fees the better, there were two cars parked on the chargers in Bangor from 4pm Wednesday to 9am Thursday.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Wanted to try the local public charging so plugged in outside work and walked the 60 seconds to the office. Back 4 hours later to a fully charged car for free. BUT, the sooner they bring in overstay fees the better, there were two cars parked on the chargers in Bangor from 4pm Wednesday to 9am Thursday.
Yip, had to ask a guy sitting in the green marked space in Cookstown to move yesterday with his ice engine running.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR

And in fairness you were parked for four hours in yours yourself, that's a good stint blocking up a charger 🤫

Definitely start charging for the "free" chargers. Most in England are already.

I don't care how long people park or use the chargers as long as I don't have to pay for other people's electricity.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
I've no issue with people charging their cars until required, but using it as a parking space for 17 hours is a bit off.

Found 2 x Tesla Destination chargers at Bloomfields as well as the 2 x ESB chargers, very handy.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Is there any reason for the lack of chargers? I thought by now they would be everywhere.

Maybe it’s because I’m not looking for them but I don’t see too many of them around.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
And the fact no one is paying to use so no ongoing revenue.

ESB got £3.7m from the government to upgrade their existing network in NI. There was something about money being available from OZEV but no council in NI has applied to spend it. It was on the podcast with Cooper and Mark McCall.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Should be used to get you to your destination / home. The sooner charging comes in the better and it needs to be more expensive than home. At least then you’ll have a bit of confidence with going for an extended run.

EVANI

RMS Regular
Drives
Electric
Thanks to @Cooper for helping cover the issues on the podcast. The reasons are many and complicated. Certainly our Executive has failed to plan, never mind execute, on the infrastructure required for the EV transition.

Some useful info on the latest ESB plans here - EVANI Members Q&A with ESB

We also have up to 100 new rapid chargers due from EasyGo and around 24 from the Faster Project. It will be the end of 2023 before most of this will be done - and maybe longer.

We have some resources here to make writing to you councillors and MPLs quite. easy, thanks

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Thanks to @Cooper for helping cover the issues on the podcast. The reasons are many and complicated. Certainly our Executive has failed to plan, never mind execute, on the infrastructure required for the EV transition.

Some useful info on the latest ESB plans here - EVANI Members Q&A with ESB

We also have up to 100 new rapid chargers due from EasyGo and around 24 from the Faster Project. It will be the end of 2023 before most of this will be done - and maybe longer.

We have some resources here to make writing to you councillors and MPLs quite. easy, thanks

So loads of extra chargers are happening...what's the problem ?

Nothing happens at the click of your fingers, especially something that requires a lot of infrastructure. If it's commercially viable, then chargers will come. Maybe P&O could branch out...

davyk31

RMS Regular
Are Scotland. England and Wales not generally paying to charge? Therefore there is revenue, yes there are grants here to set up chargers for ESB but that is not enough to run and maintain a network.
It’s the freebie attitude here that’s the issue with some owners exploiting that at every opportunity. Start to charge higher than it costs to charge at home and you may find Brian in his hybrid doesn’t suddenly get so excited about needing to park on a charger for a few hours to top up his car right back up to that 20 mile range