Anyone have an Audi S4? B6

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Since my commute has changed from 60 to 12 mile round trip, my tank average has dropped from 36 to 29-30mpg. I worked it out that fuel wise running a 20mpg car (on 95ron) vs a 30mpg car (97ron) will cost me about £3.50 extra week. Working out how many weeks I actually work its going to cost about £170 extra a year commuting a V8 over a Golf.

Man maths no brainer. Il work a coupla weeks overtime to offset the difference, laughing.

A6Avant

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Avant
If cost of repairs or maintenance is a cause for concern, avoid like the plague. Older performance or big engined Audis will put your lights out when it is over 80,000+ miles. Ive been scarred for life!

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Yeah its the turbo'ness coupled with the existing timing issue etc that would concern me with the RS. Although I did see a grey one on AT last week for £6500. 178,000 miles on it so I would've guessed it's had most of the sore work done? Or maybe it was due it again ^o)

A6Avant

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Avant
in fairness yours was:

- turbo
-auto
- tuned to f**k

I wouldn't entertain an RS6 for exactly those reasons.

Still required servicing, tyres, road tax, regular oil changes, as well as other random non performance related issues found on cars of that age. The engine/ gearbox/ turbo issues were only part of the expenses incurred

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
But we are blinded by our want (need) of an V8 S4, shushhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

veron

RMS Regular
Drives
335d
I have a B6 S4, 2003 model in red. Great car, I wanted one since 2003 when I was 18 and finally managed to get one 2 years ago. Paid 5.5k for it privately, 80k miles then, I've put about 10k on it in 2 years. Have to say I love it. It certainly has its flaws, its cost me 2 grand in 2 years (new Clutch, ABS module x 2, Electrical relay replacement, Aux belt) and drinks oil like mad, not to mention insurance and fuel. 18mpg tops. It is nose heavy around corners especially if the front tyres are low/ running cheap brand, but decent tyres and the grip is excellent. Pace wise to be honest for a 4.2 V8 it could be quicker, but still, from 5000rpm onwards it shoots on like a mother**ker. The engine sounds great but again the exhaust note I feel is restricted. I'd love to have the money for a Miltek or something.

Practicality wise theres plenty of space, big boot, plenty of kit, most have part or full leather and all electrics. I thought 2 years ago it was a lot of car for the money and I've no plans to sell. Although sometimes I'm fed up with putting fuel in her I just park her up for a few weeks and drive the Cooper S!

Most examples now are around the 100k miles mark so ideally should have full service history. Most manuals will need clutch and flywheel likely around 100k if not already replaced and allow at least £1000 as the labour is a killer. Its either a drop box or lift engine job! Either way, a few days work plus parts. And the job is a nightmare even for an experienced Audi mechanic. In saying that, I've driven the auto and its completely different. Slower, lazier, just not as involving.

I suppose I should mention the dreaded Timing chain issues. Basically theres a lot of threads on other forums on this and my opinion is we all take a risk. Mine has 1 second chain rattle on start-up which goes away for a few months after an oil change. it gets worse in the cold and worse when the oil level is low. I've read this is normal for these engines and also read I'm on a hiding to nowhere and the tensioners will eventually go. We'll see what happens.

All in all I think its a superb car for the money. Theres not much else out there that has the comfort, practicality and pace of 340bhp for around 5 grand.

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
2005 Audi S4 4.2ltr V8 Manual - Not RS4 M3 M5

Lovely, I really wish my budget stretched to this. Looks lovely, best interior, has all the right work done to it. Faultless car and last of the B6s.

Wow, that looks and sounds like the one to buy alright!

Has to be one of, if not the most desirable colour combinations also

He's hardly skimped on maintenance, and some nice subtle mods to boot

If it was a Avant, I'd be on the phone already...

I'm out of touch with B6 Audi S4 prices...how much more is this one, over a 'average' one as such?

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
If it was an Avant I'd make the stretch for it.

Looking at the other S4s, its at most £1000 more, probably only £500 more than models with similar miles/condition. Nogaro blue ones on their own seem to be higher priced so I believe this one to be very fairly priced. He did seem to pay a bit much for the timing overhaul (Been quoted £3k) but it is a case of when, rather than if with the 4.2.

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
Given it's had the timing chain done I would find a way of getting the extra coin and buy that. Means you aren't buying a potential time bomb / financial mistake and it's the right spec of car too. Nogaro blue will always hold it's money better over the other colours and it's got all the right spec!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.