Astra Coupe Turbo

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Since it isn't a daily driver, I would be inclined to get the Alternator refurbished. Plenty of places do it.

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Since it isn't a daily driver, I would be inclined to get the Alternator refurbished. Plenty of places do it.
Have had bad experiences with several refurbed alternators on the mk5 1.7 we had many moons ago. I got a new one for not big money and have been driving the car around to unearth any other problems and all has been well. Turbo refurb will be this month hopefully and that will be the last big thing off my list.

Gave the quick car a quick clean today and the colour really pops in the sunlight.
20210410_141357.jpg

I found an old tax disc from my first car another blue vauxhall astra from 2001 and stuck it into the original dealer holder.

20210401_134242.jpg

I also replaced the slightly cracked taillight with a good used one that just needed a quick buff.
20210410_160647.jpg

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Funny I had wild bother with refurb alternators in my last Vectra CDTi, having gone through three of them. They must have been using inferior voltage regulators as it was always them that failed.

The original alternator had a dodgy bearing in it hence why it was replaced so it wasn’t the same issue.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Love the colour, if I could a set of those wheels for decent money I'd be all over them.

I'm considering the Astra H VXR rear torsion beam mod.

Have you any knowledge of this? I'll be taking the rear beam of at some point in the summer so I thought I might as well make an improvement.

Front what I read it really helps dial out understeer. And is much like adding a stiffer anti roll bar. Even the normal Astra H rear beam is stiffer if I can't get a vxr one.

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Funny I had wild bother with refurb alternators in my last Vectra CDTi, having gone through three of them. They must have been using inferior voltage regulators as it was always them that failed.

The original alternator had a dodgy bearing in it hence why it was replaced so it wasn’t the same issue.

We hardly got a year out of them, they were always replaced but an alternator going can leave you absolutely stranded.
Love the colour, if I could a set of those wheels for decent money I'd be all over them.

I'm considering the Astra H VXR rear torsion beam mod.

Have you any knowledge of this? I'll be taking the rear beam of at some point in the summer so I thought I might as well make an improvement.

Front what I read it really helps dial out understeer. And is much like adding a stiffer anti roll bar. Even the normal Astra H rear beam is stiffer if I can't get a vxr one.

Haven't heard of that on these, totally out of the loop on what's hot and what's not. Miss the old forum days rather than the nonsense posted on FB groups. Have toyed with getting turbo 5 spokes but the ones I have work so well. I give you a shout if I see any for sale I'm always trawling classifieds.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
We hardly got a year out of them, they were always replaced but an alternator going can leave you absolutely stranded.

Haven't heard of that on these, totally out of the loop on what's hot and what's not. Miss the old forum days rather than the nonsense posted on FB groups. Have toyed with getting turbo 5 spokes but the ones I have work so well. I give you a shout if I see any for sale I'm always trawling classifieds.
I was having the same issues, maybe lasting between 3 to 5 months at best!

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia

Cool cheers.

Yeah it was a forum I read it on, migweb I think.

The advantages are much higher torsional stiffness, but slightly larger bushes, so better NVH.

One from a 1.9tdi twin top is the best to have allegedly. 320nm/mm for standard Astra Coupe. 590nm/mm for the twin top diesel. 520 for the vxr

Bog standard Astra is 370, so would still be an increase. My main reason is the beam on mine is pretty crusty.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
out of interest what’s the zafira vxr one ?? it’s made for 7 people

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
As an update on the old girl. I finally bit the bullet and got the turbo sorted. I left the car with Stevie at Turboshack, he was an absolute gent and the car is driving brilliantly now. The turbo had quite a lot of play so it's good to have it done, whilst it was getting rebuilt he removed the forge DV that wasnt my taste.

So with a Impreza STI now here I was getting ready to sell and my dad immediately stepped in and had to buy it! So I keep the thread ongoing as we further improve on it.