Audi S3 8V Sportback

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Sounds like I need to invest in one of these vessels especially with a black car having to wait until after 8pm these days to clean the Q5.

Any links?

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Sounds like I need to invest in one of these vessels especially with a black car having to wait until after 8pm these days to clean the Q5.

Any links?

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Not having much luck with this D :worried:.

Nope 👎🏻
Thought the bungs were the cause but unfortunately not. Can’t find much on google for the 8V, will keep searching and see if I can find anything.
I’ve a funny feeling it’s the petrol cap area

Last edited:

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Trap yourself in the boot and get the wife or kids to spray everything with the hose.

Just make sure they let you out hah

That’s my next plan. Need to strip the boot out again and get everything dried. Only takes an hour or so but it’s a pain in the hole.
Hopefully it’s not a boot seal as knowing my luck it’ll be about £1000 for one

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Boot stripped out earlier, dried and the liner is left outside to dry. I don’t think it’s coming from the petrol cap though as the right hand cubby is dry.
Either it’s the seal (hope not) or I found a piece of sharp metal sticking out of the back panel and there might be a tiny hole - needs further investigation. The plastic bungs I put back in are still in place so it’s not them. I’ll get in the boot on Saturday and get someone to put the hose on the rear and see if I can track it down.
Not the end of the world but annoying my brain!

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Got mini Deezer to hose the rear of the car this evening to see where the water was getting in - nada ☹️ Not one drop was visible anywhere. Will leave the liner out for another while and keep an eye on it.

pmk

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 8 AI400
Is there any water within the boot lid itself? I only ask as on the golf r there is a drain which frequently breaks, not sure if there is one on the s3. Might be worth a check.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Is there any water within the boot lid itself? I only ask as on the golf r there is a drain which frequently breaks, not sure if there is one on the s3. Might be worth a check.

Haven’t checked inside the hatch lid. Will have a look for the drain. There’s a cover trim piece (will post a pic later) that covers the latch area that has a bit of felt on the back and it has been wet both times. I was thinking maybe it was coming from the rear washer jet pipe - need to explore a bit more. Haven’t used the rear washer in a while so will try it and see if any water drips down.

pmk

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 8 AI400
On the R it is just below the lock on the boot lid. It should look like a rubber grommet however it breaks off.

Attachments

• 20180810_095049825_iOS.png.0004309dabab650a3049ffc8b3c52ee5.png
    20180810_095049825_iOS.png.0004309dabab650a3049ffc8b3c52ee5.png
    582.7 KB · Views: 59

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
On the R it is just below the lock on the boot lid. It should look like a rubber grommet however it breaks off.

Got my hopes up there! Unfortunately not the same on the S3

F406872B-591D-4FD9-B308-69D061D12885.jpeg

Plastic trim that covers the lock latch

746DC499-141A-4F62-952F-9955E70FA34B.jpeg

95B93EF9-64F2-4AB5-848B-76D7AA5FDF41.jpeg

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Tried the rear washer, no leaks.
The only thing I can think of now is the trim panel over the boot lock is seated properly under the seal as one of the clips was stuck in the bodywork and another was bent

5EDAF63F-94E0-482A-9143-DF8AD8BA4BB9.jpeg

Need a handful of these, anyone know the part no? Not sure if there’s an online part number resource for Audi like realoem for BMW.
Found these on eBay but not sure if they’re the correct ones

61_Vert

RMS Regular
Drives
Octy 5e vRS tDI
Tried the rear washer, no leaks.
The only thing I can think of now is the trim panel over the boot lock is seated properly under the seal as one of the clips was stuck in the bodywork and another was bent

View attachment 245705

Need a handful of these, anyone know the part no? Not sure if there’s an online part number resource for Audi like realoem for BMW.
Found these on eBay but not sure if they’re the correct ones

they are pennies from any VAG dealer, vw/skoda/audi are all the same style

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Car went in to Audi for an MMI update (not quite sure what this was for) and picked up a few clips for 50p each. The guys also fitted the trim piece again for me so I’ll keep an eye on things to see if there’s any further water ingress before I put the carpet under the spare wheel back in and fit the hatchbag. Fingers crossed.
Thinking of some carbon fibre mirror covers

Robin_Hood

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender
@Deezer-D have you tried around the rear lights?

My Mk7 Golf had a leak in the book, was traced to the rear light seal.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
@Deezer-D have you tried around the rear lights?

My Mk7 Golf had a leak in the book, was traced to the rear light seal.

There’s no seal on the rear lights. They’re designed to be easily removed to replace the bulbs. Don’t think the water can get from the light enclosure to the interior.
Boot was dry this morning after a night of rain so it could have been the trim piece causing the seal to let water in. Will keep an eye on it for a while but it may well be resolved 🤞🏻

On a slight tangent, Belfast Audi have a Nardo Grey RS3 saloon in the showroom. The want for an RS3 Sportback in Nardo is strong! I’ve no money so unlikely to happen for a couple of years.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
There’s no seal on the rear lights. They’re designed to be easily removed to replace the bulbs. Don’t think the water can get from the light enclosure to the interior.
Boot was dry this morning after a night of rain so it could have been the trim piece causing the seal to let water in. Will keep an eye on it for a while but it may well be resolved 🤞🏻

On a slight tangent, Belfast Audi have a Nardo Grey RS3 saloon in the showroom. The want for an RS3 Sportback in Nardo is strong! I’ve no money so unlikely to happen for a couple of years.
Sell you one .👍
446B4735-625C-4F1C-AF61-B158ECB7C9EE.jpeg

Last edited: