Audi S3 8V Sportback

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
@Deezer-D & @Boydie - Just wondering how often you two would be topping up your oil and/or coolant?

Coolant should never need topping up. If itā€™s loosing coolant youā€™ve a leak. Mine has had the water pump and thermostat replaced which is a common problem.
Must check my oil but seeing as itā€™s had 2 oil changes in 9K miles Iā€™ve never had to top up

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Coolant should never need topping up. If itā€™s loosing coolant youā€™ve a leak. Mine has had the water pump and thermostat replaced which is a common problem.
Must check my oil but seeing as itā€™s had 2 oil changes in 9K miles Iā€™ve never had to top up

I had full service along with my water pump & thermostat (and some seals) replaced just under 1k miles ago after a leak, but last week the dreaded warning came on again and the coolant dropped below minimum by a noticeable bit.

Thought it would be worth checking the oil and it's closer to the bottom of the dipstick than I'd like too.

Just wanted to check if people were regularly topping these up before I ring servicing again in the morning.

Thanks for the reply (y)

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
I had full service along with my water pump & thermostat (and some seals) replaced just under 1k miles ago after a leak, but last week the dreaded warning came on again and the coolant dropped below minimum by a noticeable bit.

Thought it would be worth checking the oil and it's closer to the bottom of the dipstick than I'd like too.

Just wanted to check if people were regularly topping these up before I ring servicing again in the morning.

Thanks for the reply (y)

Iā€™ve read that sometimes the level drops after a while even from the factory. Iā€™d give them a ring anyway

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
@Deezer-D do you mind asking were you got your boot floor cover .Is it an Audi thing or aftermarket .

I have 2. Thereā€™s a complete liner that does the whole inside of the boot from Hachbags (thread on here somewhere)

E4FC562E-2643-4F68-8421-7752D87DA884.jpeg

37D695D1-FADA-4A43-9590-10349BE15D5F.jpeg

C11FFEAC-56EB-445D-8009-0017AF9D55B5.jpeg

That was just the test fit ^^^^ Fits better than that.

I also have the Audi boot floor liner

42A7151C-A5FD-4A23-8EEE-736432AEC554.jpeg

zafturbo

RMS Regular
I have 2. Thereā€™s a complete liner that does the whole inside of the boot from Hachbags (thread on here somewhere)

View attachment 246711
View attachment 246712
View attachment 246714

That was just the test fit ^^^^ Fits better than that.

I also have the Audi boot floor liner

View attachment 246713
After I asked the question earlier I noticed the name on the label so went on and had a look .will get myself one ordered up this week .they look like a great job .

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

Thanks for the reply (y)

@Terry did anything become of this?

Anyone know if Iā€™d be safe enough topping up with a couple of cm of water then adding G13 this evening? Mrs Lyons has the Golf at work today and the light is on.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
@Terry did anything become of this?

Anyone know if Iā€™d be safe enough topping up with a couple of cm of water then adding G13 this evening? Mrs Lyons has the Golf at work today and the light is on.

Yeah it went back in to them and they had a good look and couldnā€™t find any leaks, they topped up the coolant and oil again. They mentioned the possible air in the system re coolant, although not sure if that would result in the low oil too.

Strange one but Iā€™m to keep an eye on it.

You can get coolant at any garage or even Tesco and top up to be safe. Where abouts does she work?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Sheā€™s in Comber.

Is water not ok as long as I balance it with coolant later?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
A little water is fine. Just dilutes the coolant a bit more, not the end of the world.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Yeah I wouldnā€™t worry about just adding water as it might only be a tiny amount needed. Just get her to take a picture of how far down the level is before topping up. If sheā€™d been somewhere in Belfast I couldā€™ve nipped over with coolant and did it for you was all (y)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Cheers for the offer. She topped it up herself and I added the G13. Doesnā€™t seem like that long ago I topped it up too! Will have to make a note of todayā€™s date.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Cheers for the offer. She topped it up herself and I added the G13. Doesnā€™t seem like that long ago I topped it up too! Will have to make a note of todayā€™s date.

Shouldnā€™t need topping up at all. Sealed system so you likely have a leak. Check for coolant on the undertray. Iā€™d bet on there being a leak from the thermostat housing which is part of the water pump. Youā€™ve a warranty anyway šŸ‘šŸ»
Did you find out what the oil leak was?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
They couldnā€™t find anything!

If the coolant was leaking does it literally just be the same water/coolant mix, or does it come out slightly dirty or more oil like?!

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
They couldnā€™t find anything!

If the coolant was leaking does it literally just be the same water/coolant mix, or does it come out slightly dirty or more oil like?!

Will be on the undertray so prob wonā€™t drop onto the ground. I ā€œthinkā€ it should just be like coolant (pink) not oily

Lee

RMS Regular
Quite often a slow coolant leak is hard to diagnose as it will evaporate before it can run to the undertray or the ground.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It can pick up oil and dirt as it dribbles down the engine. But yes, will be a watery puddle somewhere, not an oily puddle. If you find a fresh puddle of oil under the car then you have a different problem.

Really should never need topping up. If you have to do that regularly then there is a leak. Could be anything - hose, pipe, radiator, thermostat, anything - but shouldn't be too hard to find with a pressure tester.

Coolant and oil shouldn't affect each other at all. If you find water in the oil ("mayo") or oil in the coolant then you have a different problem too.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
When the car was last in with Audi for the software update I got talking to the service manager about the leak. He offered to have a look (if the refitting of the rear trim didnā€™t cure the problem) under good will as the car has full history with Belfast Audi. Restored my faith a bit. Anyway, he got one of the techs to fit the trim panel and no further leaks for about a month - result. Refitted the lining under the spare wheel today and will fit the hatchbag later.
Havenā€™t heard anything back on the rear bumper repair (to be fair I havenā€™t chased it up) so Iā€™m going to bite the bullet and get it painted myself as I really donā€™t want a smart repair.
Still need to paint the rear hubs ā˜¹ļø Theyā€™re particularly bad. Really should have painted them before I got them fitted. Might just do them when I swap over to winter wheels. Iā€™ll leave the S3 wheels in with Michael for a refurb as Iā€™ve lacquer peel on one. Would rather do all 4 as Iā€™d be guaranteed a colour match and have a fresh set of wheels for next spring.
Engine bay needs a proper clean as itā€™s a bit of a mess after a coolant leak. Come to think of it the whole car is filthy so might give it a clean tomorrow if itā€™s dry.
Coming up to 41K miles and Iā€™ve had it for about 15 months and have no real intention of changing it. Had a few unfortunate niggles that annoyed me but Iā€™m over that now. Really hard to find something as good. Contenders would be an RS3 or S4 Avant, neither of which I can afford at the minute šŸ˜‚ Itā€™s only 4 years old and is paid for so donā€™t really want to have a car payment at the minute.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Managed to give the S3 a clean today.

Articulate
Ultrafoam
Rinse
Wash with Gleam Grape
Rinse