BMW iX3 M Sport Pro

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Buying a Leaf in the first place is where you went wrong there! :laughing: There are plenty with that kind of range that tow but they are going to be £50k+ at least.
A Leaf is still a 20 grand car, it's thats the EV problem, they're all very expensive. Not many people can afford a 60 grand every day car.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
I did, just sold my 40kw Leaf and bought a BMW 335d Xdrive!

I do love EV's but sometimes they're a pain in the hole, I need one that does 300 miles and tows. No one makes one of those yet and if they did they'd be at least 60 grand.

You can’t have an EV like a Leaf and rule every other EV out based on that ownership experience. You bought one of the worse EV’s possible! 😂

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Buying a Leaf in the first place is where you went wrong there! :laughing: There are plenty with that kind of range that tow but they are going to be £50k+ at least.

You can’t have an EV like a Leaf and rule every other EV out based on that ownership experience. You bought one of the worse EV’s possible! 😂

Leaf him alone Lads
😂

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I haven't, I did write that I love EV's but they don't do what a ICE car will which is tow for a few hundred miles without the need to sit at a charger for a few hours, that's if you can find one and find one that's not in use and works.

My leaf was fantastic and bought as a first EV on a budget of £20k. I have driven alot of EV's and at the time it was a leaf or a BMW i3. I feared the i3 was just too small.

Id love a BMW i4M50 or a Polestar but they're £50k+, I won't PCP a car so ATM they're a no.

Glad you like the iX3, they look great 👍

davyk31

RMS Regular
Not sure the purpose of an i4M50 or a Polestar is to tow for a few hours without stopping either. That’s a role for a 4x4 if it’s any size of a load. And if you take them for their intended purpose of being smooth quiet family everyday transport then the EV version won’t be a lot more expensive than an ICE equivalent and certainly much cheaper to run with a low cost overnight tariff.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Like saying all ICE cars are crap after owning a mini metro 😂
So where did I imply all EV cars are crap? I actually said I really like them........twice now.

They can't do everything an ICE car can though so for some people's needs they don't work.

I'm actually already thinking about buying another EV to run with the ICE car.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
So where did I imply all EV cars are crap? I actually said I really like them........twice now.

They can't do everything an ICE car can though so for some people's needs they don't work.

I'm actually already thinking about buying another EV to run with the ICE car.

PCP or outright buys on a £60k EV and saving the money on fuelling alone is an old school way of thinking. The savings are the tax. Main concern for me is the availability of good deals next year when mine's due to go back. If there's no decent salary sacrifice deals out there then we might be forced back into ICEV ownership, which would be absolutely dreadful in all honesty!

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
@Woodcutter can I ask what electricity tariff you use? Debating an ev and looking at tariffs but not sure how to go about comparing E7 with normal. Tend to run dishwasher, washing machine and tumble through the day / evenings and 3 days a week the car would do <10miles.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
@Woodcutter can I ask what electricity tariff you use? Debating an ev and looking at tariffs but not sure how to go about comparing E7 with normal. Tend to run dishwasher, washing machine and tumble through the day / evenings and 3 days a week the car would do <10miles.

I’m on the E7, but we rarely charge the car at home these days since I got a charger installed at work.

But when we did charge at home, there was a significant saving charging overnight on the E7 rate.

This post made me check Power NI prices and I would say we are paying over the odds now though considering we aren’t making use of the night rate. Our daytime rate is way higher! 🤦🏻‍♂️

davyk31

RMS Regular
Just stick the dishwasher, washing machine and tumble drier on about 7.00am and you benefit from the cheap rate. Makes a decent saving whether you charge a car or not.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Just stick the dishwasher, washing machine and tumble drier on about 7.00am and you benefit from the cheap rate. Makes a decent saving whether you charge a car or not.
Just rechecked the times and I thought day rate started earlier but yeah, could see the benefit running appliances early morning.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It’s 2-9 summer time and 1-8 winter time.

Our overall split is about 50/50 use between the two and honestly no idea if that works out cheaper or not in the end lol

davyk31

RMS Regular
50/50 will definitely be a lot cheaper so you are saving. The change to 8.00 is a bit annoying but all the machines have timers so it’s just a case of setting those whereas with the 9.00 cut off it gives a bit more flexibility.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
Managed 29k miles on the original tyres somehow. Couldn’t get another set of Yokohama as they’re out of stock everywhere, so fitted a set of Bridgestone.

Closing in on 30k miles any day now and it has been absolutely flawless. Lease ends around December time, and I have no idea what to replace it with.

IMG_3837.jpeg

IMG_4157.jpeg

davyk31

RMS Regular
Plenty of decent lease deals on EVs at the moment as they need to shift them so you should get something ok if going that route.
Anything on the shortlist?

davyk31

RMS Regular
Volvo EX30 looks a great EV and the twin motor is very rapid for decent money. Not big is the main issue but think they are also releasing some bigger stuff.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
Plenty of decent lease deals on EVs at the moment as they need to shift them so you should get something ok if going that route.
Anything on the shortlist?

I would really love a Taycan Cross/Sport Turismo, but they’re likely to be out of budget.

Have the iX2 booked for a weekend in May. But I’m not a big fan of the back end of them.

All new iX3 is due in 2025, so I would even consider extending our lease for 6 months if possible until it was available.

Tesla is a definite no, had a look before buying the ix3.

I would defo consider the Volvo, need to try one.

davyk31

RMS Regular
The iX2 really ain’t a looker. The front is just about ok, the back really isn’t great. The iX1 is probably the best looking of EV BMW SUVs at the moment. The i5 Tourer might be a decent thing.

having said all that a Taycan ST wouldn’t be a bad choice at all 😜