Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
I've heard of a 205 failed for this, don't see the issue with it myself though

Hey dude,

I vaguely remember some ruling about intakes being open, as we were running SU's with stub stacks at the time, it may have been the MSA Blue Book, but I was looking through the MOT regs at the same time

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
meaning a soaking filter of fuel is more dangerous than non filter?

Generally it can get drawn back in though. It's still not great, but better than raw petrol getting spewed around the engine compartment totally uncontrolled.

Ive seen MK2's years ago where the paint has been stripped off the inner guard because of the fuel spitting out of the carbs.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
ID number stamped into the frame of my bike isn't very visible, it was backed up with a sticker with the VIN on it but it came off in pieces when I was readying the bike for paint. It's pretty much had it so I was going to get a wee VIN made up like this:

motorbike%20plate.jpg

All it's doing is making the information for the bike clearer for the MOT man but I don't want it to look suspect. It's also not the OEM VIN plate and looks quite generic. This is all above board, I just want to do things right. Would this be acceptable?

Forgot to say, I could also go with this:

frame%20number.jpg

Either suits though I'd prefer the slightly larger one so that I could put a little bit of a personal touch into the 'other' field :oops:

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
and the socks your reffering to will suck any power the pinto has so i wouldent waste my money

which is why i'd be more inclined to get the air filters, but would that change the power at all?

i should have asked the mot inspecter when i was there would these pass with the new rules coming in but never thought

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Dont see why it wouldnt be acceptable, plenty of kit cars or cars reshelled have to go this route. As you say, it is all above board so dont see what the problem is really?

At least you've already got the VIN which saves a bit of hassle with SVA balls. If it were me id just get whatever you can find closest to what you already have :grinning:

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
It should be stamped on the frame somewhere, usually on the steering head, the plate will be fine, if the examiner isn't happy he will check the frame number itself, but generally we take it as we find it. Any difference found between V5 / DVA / Vehicle is reported to DVLNI and they deal with it.