Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

Porter

RMS Regular
Any mot'ers on here work at mullusk and on in the morning at 8:05. Got the wee roadster up for testing. Should be an easy one been sorted for 9 months and only done 1000ish miles.

RCT

RMS Regular
Maybe this is one more for psv, but what's the score with the chrome a bars on the front of trucks and vans? Do they pass psv ok, or is it a case of what examiner you get? Reason I'm asking is I'm thinking if putting one on my merc sprinter and also on the truck. Don't want to fit them, have all the LEDs wired in, to find out I have to take them off again every year.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I thought most of those front bars had been outlawed years ago due to the risks they post to pedestrians in an accident. But you do see plenty of vehicles with them fitted

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
My car is due it's first Mot on 29th Jan, everyone says it will sail through as it's well looked after and regularly serviced, should I just get it washed underneath, check the basics, lights etc and fire it through?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I wouldnt bother with an underneath wash to be honest, I've never had one done and never failed either (touch wood).

The only thing I'd do is a headlight allignment, and I haven't even bothered with that the last few times.

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
Ok quick wash, hoover, check the lights and put it through it is then, bit of a pain having to Mot a car I will be getting rid of 2 weeks after :sob:

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Ok quick wash, hoover, check the lights and put it through it is then, bit of a pain having to Mot a car I will be getting rid of 2 weeks after :sob:

Realistically you should send it to a reputable mechanic to perform an inspection to make sure that the car will be roadworthy for the next year, not just so that it will pass a test.

Having said that, i never bother myself. So long as all the lights are working horn etc, wash it as normal and MOT wash, quick tidy inside and you shouldnt have a problem.
Best of luck (y)

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
Realistically you should send it to a reputable mechanic to perform an inspection to make sure that the car will be roadworthy for the next year, not just so that it will pass a test.

Having said that, i never bother myself. So long as all the lights are working horn etc, wash it as normal and MOT wash, quick tidy inside and you shouldnt have a problem.
Best of luck (y)

This is it's first mot and there are 17k on the clock, plus it was only serviced a couple of months ago so I am hoping it sails through.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
For my own cars, i know going into the test a rough idea of how likely they are to pass. If theres a chance the examiner will pick up on some minor items I tend to get the car washed underneath, the cleaner the car is underneath, the easier his job will be and I feel this increaces the chance of him being more leanient with the rest of the car.

Having said that, for the last 3 cars i've mot'd I havent washed underneath as I was confient that they would pass, and they did.
The choice is yours

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
my car never seems that dirty underneath tbh. the most i usually ever do is wipe the brake pipes clean so they can check them.

ive only ever had one mot wash in 8 years and many many cars, and i dont think i even needed to really

i look after my own cars and check them before i go in, but if you are not mechanically minded i would still go in. it is £30 but most mechanics charge over £35 for an mot check!! so if you go for an actual mot its cheaper and you get a specific list of what to fix.

before i go there is always one thing i get done, headlight level set.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I DIY the headlights. Takes all of about 2 minutes. I noticed that there seems to be a huge margin for error on their machine too.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Do you not have a MINI? They're awful for moving about and a complete pain in the arse to align!

pablo

RMS Moderator
yeah was grand when I MOTed it in Feb there (well on lights anyway - failed on bushes). Have no intention of touching it come mot time again. straight in and see whats needed.

Darren91

RMS Regular
Will a car pass MOT with the brake pad warning on?

It's just came on this week but will be changing pads and discs all round in February if it can pass the MOT on the 27th Jan.

tim

RMS Regular
I got my notification on the 20th December, wasn't up until February but did it first thing 2nd of Jan to get it out of the way and I appear to have lost a months MOT.. Did MOT early last year and got 13 months!

tim

RMS Regular
only if its done in the 12th month. if more that a month before expiry you just get a year.
Oh well, it's done now. Just wanted it out of the way when things were quiet.

Odd seeing 1st Jan 2015 on it mind you, I'm still not used to it being 2014 lol

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
Yup if test is done earlier than 28 days before the due date, the MOT will run only for 12 months.

28 days is the golden number! I nearly made the same mistake...