Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Just learnt this morning that if my car fails its MOT (even just for a light alignment or something small) I can't continue driving it even if there is still a full 4 weeks left before its dew date. The failure automatically scrubs off any remaining time you have so you are meant to put the car in the garage until the retest. Looks like I've broken the law on 2 occasions in that case! Is this common knowledge??
Your car is unroadworthy, it failed MOT, the chance of Mr Policeman knowing that would be slim, so you still have MOT, can still tax the car ect, but I tell people, once the faults are fixed, the car is safe to drive. Same situ as being stopped by enforcement. But at the same time, I wish a had £1 for every time I see a new ball joint fitted and its still loose in the hub, because the hub is worn.

neil-c

RMS Regular
Cheers for the replies, I didnt bother doing a thread search before I posted and then realised after pablo posted that there is a 3 or 4 page thread on this in Jan.

Darren91

RMS Regular
Is it acceptable to send the car through on winter tyres? They're all the same make/type and have legal tread.

Would save me the hassle of putting the summer wheels back on and finding 4 new tyres for Tuesday.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Is it acceptable to send the car through on winter tyres? They're all the same make/type and have legal tread.

Would save me the hassle of putting the summer wheels back on and finding 4 new tyres for Tuesday.

As long as they have legal tread, load, etc etc etc then no reason to fail them.

Darren91

RMS Regular
of course - its fine. I MOTed the golf with 2 winters on front, 2 regulars on rear.

Superb, I'd usually have them off by now but my summer tyres wore quicker than I'd hoped and wouldn't pass this year.

eamon343

RMS Regular
@JCLC Is it true mot testers are told not to jack up beetles and 2cvs by the sills?

And is there any differences between a modern mot and one on a 74 car? Ive heard they dont check headlight alignment etc... but ive read through all the regulations online and its hard to make sense of it all.

@DMC 4087

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
@eamon343, if there's suitable chassis members to lift them on the sills we will, if you ask the examiner he will usually use the pit jack, think we need to on a Beetle anyway. We have respect for cars, especially classic cars. Headlights will be tested but they are usually a sealed beam on the Beetle and should pass no problems. As far as the test goes, its the same, more allowance on emissions just.

soupyrachel

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini Cooper S
I've removed my rear seats from the mini. Seats belts are still in place and I've a flat board across the back now. Is this okay to go through mot or do I need to put my seats back in again?

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Would a sizeable hole cut in to the boot from the engine compartment on the Mr2 be ok? I used to have a massive hole cut in the boot floor that passed five years in a row so thinking it should? It's to allow my long runner manifold to fit in the car. No structural parts were cut out.

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
Drives
Daily Hack
What's the story if you can't find your V5? Can the County Hall issue you a Letter or something in the mean time? The car is up for MOT on Sat! It's the Missus car...

soupyrachel

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini Cooper S
How will this fair at an mot?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398449402878.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398449402878.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 139

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
JCLC, I've noticed a very slight tear in a brake line, it isn't enough for it to weep.

Fail or advisory?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Nothing wrong with that seatbelt

Frayed with strands coming off is deemed ok ?

I can agree it will still handle quite a load, but would be hard to say it is in good order. It's a bit like some corroded brake pipes....they'd still be fine for a few years. But you still wouldnt let them go.