Booking Northern Ireland MOT advice thread

Tommy

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo
MOT dates seem to have went a bit crazy again. If you book today your talking almost 3-4 weeks away or maybe I have just been lucky in the past and got one the following week.

I spoke too soon, got an appointment for Saturday

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Bollocks, just realised both my cars are due for the 20th...

If one doesn't pass I'll be in bother lol

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Cheers for the heads up, have an MOT coming up at the end of March.
Will book it now anyway so theres no panic

stu_200sx

RMS Regular
Car failed with two major defects and a minor defect. The two major defects have been fixed but does the minor defect need repaired or is it considered an advisory? It's a crack in the wing mirror glass.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
If they called it up on the fail sheet then it must be fixed for the retest.
Failing that book a whole new test and hope that it passes as an advisory

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
The MOT on my car is up on 28th March, went on there tonight to try and book a test, 3 full weeks til then so thought I would be fine, but soonest available test in Belfast is 16th April!! And soonest anywhere in the country is 8th April in Armagh! What the heck?

Getting a bit ridiculous if you have to book it 6 weeks in advance. Soon need to book it before you receive the reminder in the post!

MattW86

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3
Sorry if this has been asked on this thread already, I don't have the time to read through the whole thing..

About to book an MOT for this Monday but my current MOT does not expire until end of april. If it fails does that mean the remaining time is nullified

Cheers,

Matt

mousey

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline R33 GTST
my Volvo just passed today, MOT was up at the end of March,(first MOT) but left it to late to book and got one the 21/4, just kept checking on line (was told its better that phoning)and got if for this morning, but had to go to larne, really handy online.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Quick query.

Can a car be MOT'd without the V5 present?

Cars currently involved in a reg transfer, hence no taxbook to hand.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Quick query.

Can a car be MOT'd without the V5 present?

Cars currently involved in a reg transfer, hence no taxbook to hand.

Seems to be a lottery tbh, some don't care, others want to see it. Bit of a **** move if they fail you for it though.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Cheers lads. Few ones in work have said they've put a car through without.

I'm Just scared of landing up without it, and getting the one fella who's missus pissed him off that morning.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I've done a long and extensive read at this thread and I am however unable to find a definitive answer to my question.

2001 Diesel car was fitted with a catalytic converter at the factory.

Does it have to have a cat fitted to pass mot?

I know the answer is usually if it passes emissions it should be a pass, however with it being a diesel I've read that there is a test whereby the tester rev's the engine three times to the govenor speed and an average of the three is then taken as the final emissions.

However whilst speaking to a mechanic friend of mine he tells me this test is now not taken due in part to a tester having lost three teeth after a
car owner lamped him because he blew the engine doing this test!

Is this true that diesels now do not have an emissions test and will the tester check for a cat?

My car currently has a split in the exhaust flexi section, not visible as the braided part is still intact, but a small puff of smoke gives it away on start up.

The price of a s/steel decat is less than a mild steel oe replacement cat hence my reason for asking

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
My 2010 deisel didn't get emission test today.
I've done a long and extensive read at this thread and I am however unable to find a definitive answer to my question.

I know the answer is usually if it passes emissions it should be a pass, however with it being a diesel I've read that there is a test whereby the tester rev's the engine three times to the govenor speed and an average of the three is then taken as the final emissions.

However whilst speaking to a mechanic friend of mine he tells me this test is now not taken due in part to a tester having lost three teeth after a

Is this true that diesels now do not have an emissions test and will the tester check for a cat?

My car currently has a split in the exhaust flexi section, not visible as the braided part is still intact, but a small puff of smoke gives it away on start up.

The price of a s/steel decat is less than a mild steel oe replacement cat hence my reason for asking

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
I have a 2007 diesel with a straight through exhaust system, no cat or back box, and it has passed MOT last 3 years! The exhaust system was on the car when I bought it, but I didn't realise what it was until I put the car up on the jack one day. Still surprises me that it passes TBH.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
They should have a visible cat but they don't test emission, so you could have a straight through with a cat loot alike.

@soupz would be down to the tester but he should have failed for not having a cat.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

At present that car does not need a cat for a Northern Ireland MOT test, nor is there an emissions test at this time.

Any defects in the exhaust like a leak, would be a reason for a fail if they are big enough

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Cool! Decat will be ordered soon! Lol. The leak is only visible when bonnet is up and by a rising puff off smoke on start up.

When they do the visual inspection underneath it may be visible by a bit of soot build up on the outer braided section of said flexi.

I suspect the split is in the inner metal part of the flexi eg: not visible without cutting the braided part.

I reckon I could get away with a good steam clean underneath on the morning of the test, but I'd rather not take the chance.

Thanks for your prompt reply @stevieturbo

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
At present that car does not need a cat for a Northern Ireland MOT test, nor is there an emissions test at this time.

Any defects in the exhaust like a leak, would be a reason for a fail if they are big enough
From what year does a diesel have to have a visual cat on it?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
From what year does a diesel have to have a visual cat on it?

Page 56 suggests they only look for a cat where one was fitted originally for a diesel so is a little vague unless they have lists, so not quite what I first thought

http://www.doeni.gov.uk/light_vehicle_inspection_manual_may_2015.pdf

On Compression ignition vehicles check for the presence of a catalytic converter where fitted as original equipment.

That said, the manual still lists, smoke tests...which they dont do so they may not give a toss about diesel cats.

Petrol is only a visual check from 1st July 2002 onwards for MOT and is more clear cut...except some testers dont care lol