Car finance signing the agreement.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

spoons

RMS Regular
Can someone give me some advice please.On Tuesday I went to look at a car and decided to go for it .The salesmen put me through his finance company I got accepted for the finance well any way he gave me a copy of the finance agreement after reading through it I noticed the agreement said that I had to sign in two or three different places on the agreement the thing is I never signed anything or anywhere it turns out the salesman electronically signed for me without me knowing or asking my permission. Would this be legal? Thank you

colin84

RMS Regular
Can someone give me some advice please.On Tuesday I went to look at a car and decided to go for it .The salesmen put me through his finance company I got accepted for the finance well any way he gave me a copy of the finance agreement after reading through it I noticed the agreement said that I had to sign in two or three different places on the agreement the thing is I never signed anything or anywhere it turns out the salesman electronically signed for me without me knowing or asking my permission. Would this be legal? Thank you

I don't know about the legality of it, but now days it's just boxes with your name in it, and you just click the box to say you accept. I suppose it doesn't make much difference if you click or they do, unless you were going to read through it all.

spoons

RMS Regular
OP
spoons
I don't know about the legality of it, but now days it's just boxes with your name in it, and you just click the box to say you accept.
That's the thing I wasn't asked to click the boxes the salesman took it onto himself to do it.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
No he didn't ask me
I’d say fair enough if you’d said yea go on ahead but if you didn’t then it can’t be right.

I haven’t bought a car since Jan 2019 but I had to physically sign. I haven’t actually made any large finance funded purchases since all this covid stuff happened.

spoons

RMS Regular
OP
spoons
if you decided to go for it and he gave you a copy. I’m guessing you knew it was all going ahead and you’re buying the car?

No real issue then.
The guy took it on to himself to sign a document that was meant to be signed by me I think that is a serious issue.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Do you want the car and are the terms of the finance what you agreed?

If so is there really a problem?

It’s clearly not ideal but given COVID etc the dealer has likely taken your discussion and verbal agreement on the deal and hence ticked the boxes

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Presumably you’ve 14 days to cancel so if it bothers you that much go ahead and do that and request a copy of the documents for you to read through before consenting.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
The last few cars we have bought, the finance documents came via e-mail (Moto-Novo and Audi VWFS). We logged into their websites, reviewed all the documents and signed everything electronically ourselves. Did the dealer let you read the agreement before being signed? Maybe he has ticked the boxes on your behalf while you were there due to covid reasons and not wanting everyone using his computer?

Have you actually spoken to the dealer to ask them about it?

As said above, you should have 14 days cooling off period to cancel the agreement. Not sure how that would impact on you should you want another finance agreement straight away though.

Last edited:

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
We bought a few things this year in work and the docs were emailed to me and I signed them electronically.

I would make him aware of the fact that this has annoyed you somewhat, but if all is in order and you're happy with the purchase, I wouldn't make a meal out of it.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
As said, are you still happy with the terms regardless of who signed it, or is there something else underlying and you are looking for a way out anyway? If the latter, I don't think I would use the them signing it as the excuse, but rather just cancel under the cooling off period.

Bronk

RMS Regular
so would you like to cancel the finance agreement due to potential fraud and then go through the whole process again and sign a bit of paper yourself even though after all that hassle , you will probably have same monthly payments with the same finance company and the same car?

KevM

RMS Regular
He cant really electronically sign it on your behalf.

Generally, the agreement will run the customer through personal security verifications & all the GDPR preferences, to allow an e-sign to even take place & most will state on the sign-up process, that the customer must be in control of the keyboard/mouse when e-signing.

Yes, he's just done what you have agreed to do anyway. But yeah, quite a big no no for me that one.

& you cant cancel under Cooling off, unless you pay the value of the finance agreement to the finance company.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Don't really see the issue here tbh?

You want the car - Thank him for his time
You don't want the car, tell him you don't want the car.

Have you provided bank details? Name & address? If you didn't want the car why did you give this information?

Am I missing something?

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
He should not have e-signed it for you no, and would get in bother for doing so. As others have said it depends what your issue is here.

spoons

RMS Regular
OP
spoons
Thanks for the replies.I got the car home on Tuesday I didn't drive it again until Thursday it was then I realized that it was unsuitable for what I needed.I contacted the dealer and explained my situation to him and asked if I could return the car I offered to pay any money that was needed and offered to compensate the guy for any further inconvenience that I may have caused he said that he wouldn't take the car back so while looking through my finance agreement to see if there was any way out I noticed that it said that I should have signed it in three different places.I didn't sign anything the dealer took it onto himself to sign the agreement.I would just like to know where I stand legally about handing the car back.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Thanks for the replies.I got the car home on Tuesday I didn't drive it again until Thursday it was then I realized that it was unsuitable for what I needed.I contacted the dealer and explained my situation to him and asked if I could return the car I offered to pay any money that was needed and offered to compensate the guy for any further inconvenience that I may have caused he said that he wouldn't take the car back so while looking through my finance agreement to see if there was any way out I noticed that it said that I should have signed it in three different places.I didn't sign anything the dealer took it onto himself to sign the agreement.I would just like to know where I stand legally about handing the car back.
ah, thats a bit crap.

as mentioned above - you should have a 14 day cooling off period.

Rather than ask us here, I'd contact the finance company as soon as possible as that is who your contract is with, and not the dealer. I'd be very surprised if the dealer will help take the car back from you and will likely try and ride out the 14 days as they will likely have been paid already.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
ah, thats a bit crap.

as mentioned above - you should have a 14 day cooling off period.

Rather than ask us here, I'd contact the finance company as soon as possible as that is who your contract is with, and not the dealer. I'd be very surprised if the dealer will help take the car back from you and will likely try and ride out the 14 days as they will likely have been paid already.
You've only a cooling off period from the finance, not the ownership of the car. It still needs financed in some way.
Buyers remorse isn't covered by a 14 day cooling off period unfortunately.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
So the issue isn't that the dealer has "signed" the finance agreement for you, its that you've bought the wrong car. When you were finalising the deal and knew that finance was being put in place did the dealer not mention anything at all about signing the agreement? Surely you can't have thought you were financing a car without signing anything?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.