Car Insurance increases

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
My son isn't 17 yet (for a long while) but if he was now, there would be no way in hell I would be able to afford him a car and insurance :worried:
Courtney is paying half the car and half the insurance from money she's saved from working part-time as a waitress, probably paining her to do so as she's so tight with her own money 🤣

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
We didn't pay for insurance but got an admiral multi car policy to get it as low as possible and then they paid us monthly for their share of the total. I've always looked after their cars to keep their costs low but they cover the parts cost.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
We didn't pay for insurance but got an admiral multi car policy to get it as low as possible and then they paid us monthly for their share of the total. I've always looked after their cars to keep their costs low but they cover the parts cost.
My dad did the same for me and I’ll do the same for mine too.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Wasn't expecting this on the M3 this year..

IMG_5554.jpeg

TONKA

RMS Regular
Drives
300c SRT8
Insurance is a game of roulette thus year.

Hilux renewal doubled in February, ended up getting it done for £40 more than last year.

Wifey's Mazda, last month, up £20 on last year

300C SRT8, this week, down £10 from last year!!!

3 more vehicle policies due for renewal over the next few months, no idea how it's gonna pan out.

Last edited:

KevM

RMS Regular
Is yours an '05 @Lappintyre ?

I am going to be north of £4000 annually year to insure everything - House, cars, Travel ins, Life policy etc.

Thing is, its £4000+ a year for something that I'm aiming to never use!!!

Mad....

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Is yours an '05 @Lappintyre ?

I am going to be north of £4000 annually year to insure everything - House, cars, Travel ins, Life policy etc.

Thing is, its £4000+ a year for something that I'm aiming to never use!!!

Mad....

05 indeed @KevM yep.

Insurance is crazy, add in health, C.I, life, income protection, GAP.. :sob:

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR A4 Avant
Just called Tesco Bank regarding selling the current A4 and replacing it with the new one.

Insurers are really starting to pi55 me off at the moment.

They want an extra £250 on the current policy.

I checked online while on the phone to the rep - and their online system shows an increase of maybe £50!!!!

Are these crooks on commision or something?

It'll cost me maybe £10 to cancel the policy. Cheapest quote was something like £391 for Admiral Essential. Waiting on NFU calling me back.

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
Just called Tesco Bank regarding selling the current A4 and replacing it with the new one.

Insurers are really starting to pi55 me off at the moment.

They want an extra £250 on the current policy.

I checked online while on the phone to the rep - and their online system shows an increase of maybe £50!!!!

Are these crooks on commision or something?

It'll cost me maybe £10 to cancel the policy. Cheapest quote was something like £391 for Admiral Essential. Waiting on NFU calling me back.
Ask them what the refund total to you is if you cancel the policy. Usually gives them a bit of a shake as most people just accept the cost when changing vehicles.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR A4 Avant
Ask them what the refund total to you is if you cancel the policy. Usually gives them a bit of a shake as most people just accept the cost when changing vehicles.
Sorry, should have mentioned that I did this. Cancellation cost is £10, which I'm not going to fight. What really bugged me about this was that I checked online, and compare the market website showed Tesco asking around £50 extra for the new car. I asked the rep to justify why online site was showing only a £50 increase - which I can understand going from a car 3 yrs younger, and going from Technik SE to S-Line SE - and they just said they couldn't explain it.

Crooks, utter fecking crooks, the lot of them!!

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Was told by abbey yesterday running a quote that they struggle with cars that are 20 years old plus now (not a classic policy, not a high value vehicle-£500) which seems odd to me. They returned one quote at £950.
Best I got was £420 on a 2004 MG ZT, 34 years old, 12 years NCB with Aviva.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
I got a call today from my last provider, the policy with them ended yesterday.
I said , "eh it ran out yesterday?"
"Yeah we know, just wondering if we could give you a competitive quote."

"Well not now, seeing as it's ran out I'm now with someone else."

"Oh OK, thanks."

Weird.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Was told by abbey yesterday running a quote that they struggle with cars that are 20 years old plus now (not a classic policy, not a high value vehicle-£500) which seems odd to me. They returned one quote at £950.
Best I got was £420 on a 2004 MG ZT, 34 years old, 12 years NCB with Aviva.
As far as I know it has something to do with older cars generally not being as safe as modern ones so personal injury claims would be higher. Also, parts availability drying up quicker so repairs take longer waiting for parts, then courtesy car costs are higher.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
e60 320d
But they’ll just write off a 20 year old car so parts availability should be an issue for them unless it’s something special which would probably be on a classsic policy anyway.

Go bent over there by hughes for £80 for 5 weeks left on my policy to change to the 520d.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I got a call today from my last provider, the policy with them ended yesterday.
I said , "eh it ran out yesterday?"
"Yeah we know, just wondering if we could give you a competitive quote."

"Well not now, seeing as it's ran out I'm now with someone else."

"Oh OK, thanks."

Weird.
If they only had some sort of database to check if you were inured. Oh hold on …

My renewal is in. Up from £1300 to nearly 1900 for the Lotus and C63. No change in circumstances other than trying to give me a good shafting.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
If they only had some sort of database to check if you were inured. Oh hold on …

My renewal is in. Up from £1300 to nearly 1900 for the Lotus and C63. No change in circumstances other than trying to give me a good shafting.
Yeah it's funny how they know very little (even when it comes to renewal they need your life story when it's on a screen right in front of them) but I bet they'd know what you had for breakfast if it came to it.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Got the dreaded Taycan renewal today. Up a massive £45 on last year and now just over £700

Will give them a call as I’m sure that’s not their best offer but where do I sign 😀😀
Phoned Admiral today. Applied some extra discounts that brought it from £744 to £700. At which point I said yes but the beauty of a language barrier with a call centre seemed to mean she thought I said it was too dear still and she went off to check with her manager for a further loyalty discount. Came back with £660 which is £40 less than last year 😀. Who said EV insurance has gone through the roof!! Very relieved to be honest not to be hit for £2k as I expected.