Car Insurance increases

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR A4 Avant
Told Hastings this morning that policy for new car was invalid due to it be rejected. Said policy starts tomorrow. Gave them the reg of the older cheaper, lesser spec car - expecting a decrease in the premium.

That'll be an extra £15 please Sir.

Errm, I can cancel before the policy starts, can't I?

Why would you do that Sir.

Hold on please while I put my details into compare the market.

Ok.

Thank you. I can get cover for £100 less. Can you match that?

Errr sorry, no. Computer says no (yes, she did say this)

Right. Cancel the policy please.

What did they think I was going to do?
I do think the insurance industry is ripping the hole out of drivers, and should be looked into by an independent govt body. Maybe they'll cough up like Paula Vennels has. Maybe.

davyk31

RMS Regular
I think I will more than make up for that little bit of glory as my son has his driving test in a couple of weeks and if he passes it will be a hefty hit as he has a rather nice 155 bhp Fiesta 😀

Dave..

RMS Regular
I think I will more than make up for that little bit of glory as my son has his driving test in a couple of weeks and if he passes it will be a hefty hit as he has a rather nice 155 bhp Fiesta 😀
I have seen on a few groups young ones being quoted £5000 after they pass their tests. I hope your young lad isn’t as expensive. 🤞🤞

davyk31

RMS Regular
Yes that is starting a policy in his own name. Did the same for my daughter 2 years ago and it was about £1800 first year and then less than £1k this time.

Probably is the way to go to start it in his name to get the record rolling although you do wonder as a few years of those premiums is a lot of cash. Keeps it fully legal I guess and gets his no claims on the go hopefully

Dave..

RMS Regular
Id honestly stop driving if insurance was that money, simply refuse to pay that much.
I got a quote for a petrol 2023 Raptor, full ncb, 61 years old, no accidents and it was £1500- Bonkers.
If I buy a 2023 M3 Competition £850, insurance is crazy.

billyboker

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus
Went on to look for insurance for my 21 year old son just passed test.
VW Polo 60 bhp nearly £4000 and £4400 if paid monthly thats shocking how on earth do kids now days afford that.
The car is only £5000 cant put me on the insurance because of a claim i had to make this year adds more money.

He passed his test to be able to drive to work but if he buys a car taxes it fuels it and insures it he will be working to be able to drive to work.

davyk31

RMS Regular
That’s pretty crazy. Makes my £3k for a 17 year old in a 155bhp Fiesta maybe seem ok 😮 Don’t think the grouping of the car makes a huge difference at that age as there just seems to be a price insurers set.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Currently with LV (and have been for a few years) on a BMW 330e, 44 years old, 12 plus years NCB. Managed to get the same price as this year with AXA, so happy enough, but not paying LV who sent an email trying to justify the rises - no thanks.
IMG_3287.png

Dave..

RMS Regular
Currently with LV (and have been for a few years) on a BMW 330e, 44 years old, 12 plus years NCB. Managed to get the same price as this year with AXA, so happy enough, but not paying LV who sent an email trying to justify the rises - no thanks.
View attachment 435759
When we renewed the pet insurance we got the same type of bs from Bought by many. It went from £350 to £850 for a dog and a cat.
Yet if I was a new customer it was only £300. After all the hassle we had with a claim I was glad to leave them and we went to Tesco for £285.
The whole insurance industry is a rip off.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
My son isn't 17 yet (for a long while) but if he was now, there would be no way in hell I would be able to afford him a car and insurance :worried:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It was always dear as frig though. I don't know anyone that had a car and insurance handed to them in my friends group and expect the same when it's my lads turn. Or at the very least I'd like to see them make a proper effort at going it alone before stepping in with some unexpected assistance.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
It was always dear as frig though. I don't know anyone that had a car and insurance handed to them in my friends group and expect the same when it's my lads turn. Or at the very least I'd like to see them make a proper effort at going it alone before stepping in with some unexpected assistance.

Raise Hand GIF by Nick Jonas

I was fortunate at 17 to get both and from memory I think my first insurance (on a MY2000 1.2 8v clio in 2003) was £1100 but £800 odd sticks in my mind

I don't know, its a long way off and us living in Belfast, he mightn't need a car, might go away to Uni, abroad, who knows, not something I need to worry about 11 years in advance :joy:

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
It will cause false claims to spike. 3k insurance or what every figure and kick a claim to cover it in each year. They'll ruin the system with increasing prices but someone will put in for the increase. Not stating to do it obviously.

RevT

RMS Regular
I was lucky that I got my first wee Clio bought to me (as a slight project). I insured it right away myself though and have always covered every cost since. My wee sister and brother were both getting their insurance covered til about 25. 😂

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
My first car was a Fors Fiesta 1.1 Popular. The insurance was £2400. I was paying something like £200 a month which was a fair chunk of my wages at 18. I got given the car for nothing as it needed an engine. My bro in law got me an engine and fitted it for £100 :joy: