Cars You Don't Like

Mac1987

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Tbh not alot takes my appeal these days, all most of the modern day stuff all looks the same, Plastic Wings, Big Bumpers, Big Plastic Lights that come 3 quarters of the way up the bonnet/boot/tailgate Just so the Manufacture can save money on metal, i dunno why it all seems to be on the one groove line, everything seems to look the same, bland boring some of them manufactures need to dare to be different & start releasing some Different unusual abit out there kinda cars to break the boring mould give us abit of something different Variety is the Spice & all that, at least the cars back in the days (in the 90s for me when i was coming up) looked different & had character & actually caught the eye & looked good, Ford, Audi, BMW ect all had there own thing & look, now days there cars are similar & nothing seems to catch the eye or stand out, Like for instance the sierra sapphire cossie & the Bmw e36 m3 are both great looking cars Imo & they look completely different & have aged well because they have character, most of the cars now days won't look good in 20 years time coz they look sh!t & got no character. Even back in the day certain cars what i didn't particularly like i like now because there Different & not bland in there styling also better build quality, the cars they build now days are made like disposable throw away cars that are only meant to do you a lock of years, then you go back to the dealership & have to get and new one so financial it works out better for the manufactures at the rate things are going Classic cars won't exist in the future

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Ah the 'character' thing. And in 20 years time the next generation be saying the same thing about cars today, just like our dads said about the mundane crap of the 90's...

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
@Chris tii It's equally bad when BMW themselves do it.

@Überdub yes the S1 is still an awkward looking thing from some angles, and certainly is underwheeled in some respects, but it is positively beautiful compared to the S3!

Out of interest is your dislike of the Triumph stag due to having to work on a Triumph V8? Personally I think the michelotti designed Triumphs are a great looking thing, and the drivetrain similarity between the 2000s and BMW saloons is pretty interesting!

I don't think I get the view of a particular car being soured by what some owners do with it (tend to have more important stuff to think/worry about :joy:) if it's a good car and I want it it wouldn't put me off. Mind you some of the fanatical owners club, everything must remain standard or you particularly depressing people, depressing in that they exist that is.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Ah the 'character' thing. And in 20 years time the next generation be saying the same thing about cars today, just like our dads said about the mundane crap of the 90's...

That'll only be the case as the replacements will likely be even more numb to experience! Mundane crap is still just that despite age. I find early, light and simple hot hatches more fun to experience at a fraction of the speed than the modern equivalents.

Could not give a toss either way about an old or new white goods machine.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
That'll only be the case as the replacements will likely be even more numb to experience! Mundane crap is still just that despite age. I find early, light and simple hot hatches more fun to experience at a fraction of the speed than the modern equivalents.

Could not give a toss either way about an old or new white goods machine.

What's the most modern hot hatch you've driven in anger? Stuff like the swift sport (up to last year) is brilliant fun. The Up! GTI is also supposed to be great, but I've yet to try one.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
What's the most modern hot hatch you've driven in anger? Stuff like the swift sport (up to last year) is brilliant fun. The Up! GTI is also supposed to be great, but I've yet to try one.

Mk5 GTi golf/R32, MK3 focus st and similar age fiesta st. The fiesta was my favourite. I've got an Ignis sport which tbh is fun on the right road. None of them compare to the feel of a well setup 205, like my French import Rallye which is difficult to drive hard but ultimately rewarding (and hopefully will be again when it's finished finally!)

Must admit I like the idea of the up GTi! But the closest I've got to the 205 in terms of overall feel is a 172 cup. The more modern stuff all feels a bit too capable. Perfect daily fodder though and fun enough in its own right. I mean I'm looking for an 8l S3 as a daily at the minute, which I admit is not all that modern.

Edited to add that I'd forgotten about the 2017 Abarth 595 my mym drives. Only the 145bhp one but it's almighty craic!

Last edited:

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
yes the S1 is still an awkward looking thing from some angles, and certainly is underwheeled in some respects, but it is positively beautiful compared to the S3!
The angle of the windscreen i.e lack of rake ruins it for me. Not an issue in the low drag race cars.

Out of interest is your dislike of the Triumph stag due to having to work on a Triumph V8? Personally I think the michelotti designed Triumphs are a great looking thing, and the drivetrain similarity between the 2000s and BMW saloons is pretty interesting!
No, I've never broken one, honestly!(y) It's the roof-line, soft top or hardtop, up or down and the roll bar arrangement. I might prefer it if it was a shooting-brake style like the Scimitar GTE or Lancia HPE... but then there'd be no wind in the hair fun. I do like various other designs by him e.g. Alpine A110, A106, Triumph GT/6.

I don't think I get the view of a particular car being soured by what some owners do with it (tend to have more important stuff to think/worry about :joy:) if it's a good car and I want it it wouldn't put me off. Mind you some of the fanatical owners club, everything must remain standard or you particularly depressing people, depressing in that they exist that is.
The classic scene, where owners believe that you must fit one or two styles of wheel only or you become a pariah for any modifications can be a bit much. People do hate cars based on the scene around them though. I've seen plenty of hate towards (water-cooled) VW because of the stuff that goes on in the scene. Not that even the other VW owners necessarily like it either. Then there's the agri-spec stuff. People hate 306's because of it.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Alot of Range Rover/4x4 hate on here lol

Spend a week commuting in one and you will see why they are popular. Wafting in luxurious utter comfort makes driving in town and traffic a breeze, sitting high up makes it easy it so easy to read the road and the practicality and space is a brilliant.

I took the M3 to work on Friday and it was just misery to commute in now I'm used to the jeep. Don't think I will ever have a car as a daily again. It also makes you appreciate your Weekender more for the joy of driving it.

There is no particular one car I hate but for driving pleasure I think the best era of performance car is early to mid 2000's. Still analogue steering and sounds, decent levels of grip yet tons of driver feedback but still modern creature comforts of climate control, decent stereos, xenon lights etc.

I've had my fair share of classics and love them but as fun as they can be they aren't great at being a car so I tend to want to use them less as I'm getting older.

I wanted to build my classic mini into another lightweight, caged fast road car but every time I get in the Porsche it shows that it can do all the driving stuff every bit of fun and engaging but not having my teeth rattled out or sweating to death on a warm day.

I'd love a 964 as a classic as at least it still performs well as a car lol

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
I feel sorry for the actual hardcore AE86 enthusiasts.

Their car’s image has been sullied over the years by brown pointy shoe wearing, frayed bootcut jean wearing, checked shirt wearing, Donegal rally aping, Irish country music listening borderline retards who have an almost chimp-esque fascination with going round in circles... sur.

Mac1987

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything

Their car’s image has been sullied over the years by brown pointy shoe wearing, frayed bootcut jean wearing, checked shirt wearing, Donegal rally aping, Irish country music listening borderline retards who have an almost chimp-esque fascination with going round in circles... sur.
Lmao :joy:

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French

Should maybe bring a team of AE86-owning Japanese psychologists over to observe them and see if they can figure out what's going on...

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
I mean, really, does this look that bad?
1ssangyongrodiuscarreview.jpg

I know it's despised by everyone but doesn't it just look a bit like a Citroen Picasso crossed with a Mercedes and with a bonus conservatory added at the back?

Whereas this (which starts at £51000 without options, which this one has) looks like Katie Price after she's just found out her latest beau is two-timing her...

Lexus-RXL-hybrid-styles-overview-1204x555-LEX-RLH-MY18-0008-D.jpg

Last edited:

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
As for the ae86 ,is it the car you hate or the owners?
Amazing fun to drive in the right environment. Plus its a 30 year old mass production car that still puts smiles on faces today worldwide.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I’d completely agree with Gav. They’re a parcel of dung. I’ve driven standard 1’s, lightly and heavily modified examples and a retardedly low 20V 86 that wouldn’t even have pulled your lanyard straight.

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
Yes but your dealing with a 30 year old car. What else mass produced in 83 would compare? Its ok comparing it to fresher cars but in 83 half the owners wernt born.and all the owners cant be dicks running about with 15k etc to spend. No finance on a ae86 im afraid.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
My 78 Ascona was a better driving and handling car. An E30 was a better built and spec’d car of the same era and would be a much nicer thing to live with, though they aren’t particularly lavish either. Mk3 Capri would have been a classier choice back then too.

None of the above is relevant though because this isn’t a thread for comparing buckets of dung against each other, nor justifying their current value, but to say the owners aren’t dicks running about with 15k to spend is just downright stupid considering the price the knuckle dragging, sister shagging, tractor loving, Donegal wrecking, Buckfast swallowing, backwards degenerates that are currently associated with 86’s are paying for them, and finance most certainly is how most of them are bought through bank loans and Credit Unions...

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Have to say I’m another non fan of the Twin Cam or Coup or AE86. Could never take to the looks, noise they made or the interior. Some of the owners behaviour only compounded my dislike of them.

Don’t get me wrong I’ve seen some mint examples by enthusiasts, still not my cup of tea but can appreciate a tidy classic all the same.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Yes but your dealing with a 30 year old car. What else mass produced in 83 would compare? Its ok comparing it to fresher cars but in 83 half the owners wernt born.and all the owners cant be dicks running about with 15k etc to spend. No finance on a ae86 im afraid.

Not quite the same year (released in 1987) but my first BX16V used to whip the arse off my mates AE86 back in the day. Was a 1987 phase1 and he was in a similar aged corolla.

Even nowadays my 'good' one which has slightly over 200hp from a n/a 1.9 on throttle bodies with no variable valve timing to my mind is fairly decent.

As far as a direct comparison goes, the much earlier sunbeam lotus would be up there. There wouldn't really be much from that era that could compare and it would still cane a lot of modern hot hatches.