Cars you never knew existed

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Not exotic by any means but didn’t realise the C5 came with the same V6 diesel that the Jag XF had

UsedCarsNI.com - 2010 Citroen C5 EXCLUSIVE HDI AUTO

That engine, coupled with the fancy glazing they have, massage seats and the hydro active suspension. What a superb mile muncher.
Didn't know they did that shape in V6 diesel could be fun, know a couple of people had C5s like that but with 1.6 and 2L, gave nothing but bother but both said they were a comfy and lovely driving thing when they worked. Don't think they had the funky citroen suspenion either (could be wrong and probably am lol)

Mates da has had the first shape C5 in V6 petrol for years, goes well!!!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

DSC_6342(1).jpg

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
2006 to 2010 Lotus Europa. I knew about the original one but it had completely passed me by that Lotus brought the name back for a while in more recent times!

car_photo_220844.jpg

car_photo_220842.jpg

Based on the vx220 chassis and Vaux turbo engine.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
2006 to 2010 Lotus Europa. I knew about the original one but it had completely passed me by that Lotus brought the name back for a while in more recent times!
Was meant to be more upmarket than the Elise but racier than the Evora. Or something, nobody could really work it out :innocent: Never really took off. Basically an Exige with added tinsel.

All Lotus cars are based on the same chassis. Even the Evora is "just" a lengthened Elise chassis to fit those rear seats.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Aston Martin Lagonda Vignale.

Built as a show car in 1993. Two prototypes built, designed by the older of the Callums, based on a Lincoln Towncar. Might have done better today in our retro-crazed world, but Ford pulled the plug. There is a bit of the same vibe as the later Callum effort, the Jag S-type.

One of the prototypes was destroyed, the other was sold by Ford in 2002 for about half a million. A third was built as a one-off for the Sultan of something or other for a cool million, which I believe is the car in the picture.

aston_martin_lagonda_vignale_01pop.jpg

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Emme Lotus 422T. A Brazilian rip off of a Volvo S80, with an engine from a Lotus Esprit and a plastic body over steel frame. All developed with the help of a Swiss design company.

Surprisingly it never really took off :innocent:

1997-emme-lotus-422t-volvo-ecc-1992-001-e1570030821383.jpeg
1997-emme-lotus-422t-005-e1570030959397.jpeg

zen89

I came across a Passat 4.0 V8 the other day. I'd imagine 110% of Passats in this country are TDi's and I always assumed the most powerful petrol Passat was a V6 or similar, so couldn't believe you could get one with a mighty V8 in it.

That got me thinking about other cars that have surprised me. I didn't know Honda made a car based on the Land Rover Discovery shell .....

19ctydh022ppujpg.jpg

... and I didn't know Ford made the 'Ikon', a saloon Fiesta for certain markets

fmJPYCTf.jpg

Anyone else seen anything weird? And I'm talking about run of the mill brands and models, not rare supercars where they only made 3 of them anyway.
Wow, never have I ever seen such a classic by honda. And lots of unseen vehicles are awesome.