Cars you never knew existed

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Crafter/LT and Merc Sprinter all the same van afaik.
There’s some differences between the sprinter and lt. the lt has its fuel filter way up behind the engine and they are a massive ball ache to change. You do it from underneath and you can hardly see what you’re doing and end up with diesel all down your arm. Can’t remember other differences.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
A Lotus Europa? The fook

And not even the original Europa at that!

lotus-europa-v1-red-white-1966-600--6096.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, they didn't make it for long. Don't remember if it was before the Evora, or alongside it based on the same chassis, but basically the same idea. The Evora was just better executed and the Europa never really took off. It was sat awkwardly between Evora and Exige.

Reactions: ALN

Paul.

RMS Regular
What are the rear lights on the Europa from? In my mind’s eye I’m trying to place them on a Fiat estate.

Paul.

RMS Regular
Do fiat make an estate? Look a bit like an Audi TT mk1 to me
The Tipo nowadays, and some other stuff when the Europa was new. I didn't realise the Europa was 15 years old and I don't like realising it either. Makes me feel old. Nothing I've found on Google looks the part so I'm wondering why I was thinking Fiat in the first place.
They are bound to be something vauxhall
The fact they feel so familiar and I can't place them has me baffled. I'm trying to stick them on a blue-purple estate for some reason and it's probably entirely wrong. Vauxhall could be a good shout!

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
The Tipo nowadays, and some other stuff when the Europa was new. I didn't realise the Europa was 15 years old and I don't like realising it either. Makes me feel old. Nothing I've found on Google looks the part so I'm wondering why I was thinking Fiat in the first place.

The fact they feel so familiar and I can't place them has me baffled. I'm trying to stick them on a blue-purple estate for some reason and it's probably entirely wrong. Vauxhall could be a good shout!
Citroen maybe? I get Citroen vibes

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
The actual layout of that light is pretty much 100% but the shape is throwing me off. From the side the Europa light wraps around while the Croma light doesn't. But this has me thinking we must be on the right path?
I’ve googled so many tail lights from the early 2000s 🤣 but the croma ones are the closest but as you say not just right.

Paul.

RMS Regular
I’ve googled so many tail lights from the early 2000s 🤣 but the croma ones are the closest but as you say not just right.
I've reached the point where I've scrolled through Lotus service manuals for a part number, then Googled the part number and received 3(!) results. We might actually have broken new ground by figuring out they share a lot of similarity with Croma lights. On down the rabbit hole of thinking that the Croma shared parts with the Signum, Vectra and Saab 9-3... all GM products. I wonder if they share their shape with the 9-3 but copy the design from the Croma?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
They'll all be Hella lights or something like that anyway :innocent:

Lotus have a long proud tradition of building the important bits - a brilliant chassis - wrapped in pretty glass fibre, and then bolting on whatever they had lying around from whatever parts bin they found the cheapest 😁

The Elise has bits from at least Vauxhall and Peugeot, probably a few more. It has rear brakes shared with some pre-historic Renault (and allegedly the Viper). The fuel cap is from a Jeep. I believe (not 100% sure) the original front wiper came off some ancient Mercedes or something. Etc.

Doesn't matter one bit when going around a corner 😁

Gambit

RMS Regular