Caterham Superlight

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Well, this car was planned!!!

I’ve been on the hunt for a high power seven for a while now..... keen to try a Caterham, as i’ve had a few other sevens in the past.

Found this car (not advertised) 3 years ago initially.... then recently again made contact... this time a deal was done.. albeit again I
thought it wasn’t happening.. I had then spoke to a guy about an R500, but this guy finally decided to sell.

It’s a superlight.... ~1998, this guy built in 5.5 days back in the day.... it’s been rebuilt a few times since, and the heartbeat (engine) has quite a history!

Arguably as highly a tuned 1800K series as there is..... built at the same time as an engine for Adrian newey back in the day when he was racing Elise’s....

It’s got a quaife 6 speed seq. gearbox (one of the old original ones) wide track front, mike barnby magnesium wheels, AP brakes, magnesium R500 dry sump system, bespoke loom, AIM digital dash, Venvey direct to head throttle bodies, carbon trumpets, Carbon nose/cycle wings/rear arches, caged cage, the side half doors even have carbon spurs at the top to support, Carbon Tillet low back seat, the guy cut the dash in half... and didn’t fit the superlight plaque to save weight!!

It’s road legal... passed MOT on Thursday..

My plan is simple (back dependent) track it, race it, sprint it, hill climb it, take it on the road..... and ultimately..... get to Spa next year to race...

It was a serious road trip. Right to London and back...

I’m hoping this is a long termer
91E64ED3-2C2D-42B5-A159-0F99F81F9F43.jpeg

Last edited:

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Fantastic work Mark ! The perseverance paid off in the end 😁

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Would love one of these.

Any idea about the numbers for weight and bhp?

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Ah. All these kitcars are torturing me.
I want one so bad!!

Health to rake!

gixermark

RMS Regular
OP
G
Drives
GT3, Jedi
lol @pablo i know.. weak effort so far !! i should figure out how to upload pics properly... but i think i need to upload them to a sharing site then paste links etc... which is a faff too.

@Apis reputedly under 500Kg with fuel....... but i'll see reality in a while when i get it set up and corner weighted etc. engine wise, i have power curve that shows 250Hp, which is rather a lot for an 1800K series.. bottom line is it should be R500 power to weight... engine is developed further than the already stressed R500 tune !! car has a full cage which adds weight, but there is very little on the car that isnt needed ! and a fair bit of carbon.

regardless of the specific numbers, i expect it will be fairly insane..... and with the sequential gearbox it should be a rev filled noisy little bugger !! it can rev to 9,500rpm, albeit not advised to buzz up to there too often (or for long) i'll shift around 8.5-9K max in reality.

i'll start to inspect it properly this week, and begin to order bits and pieces...

pablo

RMS Moderator
you should be able to upload them straight off your phone into this thread mate, just click "Upload Files" and work away.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Class Mark, glad to see you finally got the deal sorted and got it home!!

Absolutely love it, will be a weapon on the track. Health to blat!!

gixermark

RMS Regular
OP
G
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Brakes on it are huge.... AP jobies F&R overkill really on something this light, especially with vented discs.... never had vented discs, nor callipers this size on a seven before.

C61715AB-5425-4659-9954-42E9484BF4BB.jpeg

Rear

351EBF46-6B2E-4D26-9343-AC655726FE5C.jpeg

Eagle eyes will see modified callipers on rear to get it through MOT... I may rip these off now... I may actually change the entire brake system over winter for lightweight discs & calipers... but will see.

Got the purge out to get rid of crud on wheels

19856949-98A1-4C32-9BB0-987E19ADE00B.jpeg

Wheels are more than good enough for the job in hand now

CDBE5DA7-D908-474C-9F2D-46E571364ECA.jpeg

gixermark

RMS Regular
OP
G
Drives
GT3, Jedi
I need a lift.... scissor or single post lift..... I can only do an hour max before my back is clean scrap.

gixermark

RMS Regular
OP
G
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Should go ok...

Question Ross, laser - am I better off. Or to use on the for general de grime/clean up? I see on the label not to use on aluminium... maybe it’s too harsh?

Maybe strong mix of articulate would suffice?

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Should go ok...

Question Ross, laser - am I better off. Or to use on the for general de grime/clean up? I see on the label not to use on aluminium... maybe it’s too harsh?

Maybe strong mix of articulate would suffice?

I've always just used Jizer & the Hot washer for cleaning down after a day out.

What is this Purge & Laser gear?

Did you do much scrubbing at those wheels or was that spray on wash off result?