Clio 200 fun car

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Not really thread worthy but may need the help of fellow RMSers both in getting bits and showing me what I need to do to it!

Long story short, missed the Mini GP, especially around the back roads that i normally drive on. Sold the C63
(will be replaced properly some day) and wanted something I enjoy driving. Have the TT 3.2 V6 but honestly would rather stick barbed wire up my hole. Boring as anything, slow, but sounds OK. 911 is great fun but want to keep it nice so wanted a daily beater to use and abuse.

Clio 200 had always tickled the fancy since the day they were released, Chris Harris further reinforced that. Would have loved a Liquid Yellow or Alien Green one but no way I was paying £7k plus for a Clio lol, also would've love Recaros but premium put me off. Found this one from a woman near Aberdeen, great history but needs a bit of paint. But for the price i was happy. Has the Cup chassis and styling pack which is great to have, plus the extras of the full fat.

Went over last week and had a great drive home, first I'd ever driven one.

So in short I love it, but need Recaros, spacers, suspension, induction kit and exhaust. Have wheels sorted already and will get track tyres.

All the photos I have from the drive home, great craic down the old military road from Aberdeen to Perth!

20200807_095708.jpg
20200807_145854.jpg
20200807_145911.jpg
20200807_151543.jpg
20200807_151554.jpg
20200807_153404.jpg
20200807_154118.jpg
20200807_154136.jpg
20200807_161913.jpg
20200808_021408.jpg

RevT

RMS Regular
Love Clios and always said I’d buy a 172/182 but never have got round to it. Failing that it would have been a cheap wee 200 for a bit of backroad fun. Lovely in red IMO, looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

I also have a reg on retention that would suit one of these, wouldn’t take much to buy it from me if you fancied it? R200 DCP is the plate.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Love Clios and always said I’d buy a 172/182 but never have got round to it. Failing that it would have been a cheap wee 200 for a bit of backroad fun. Lovely in red IMO, looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

I also have a reg on retention that would suit one of these, wouldn’t take much to buy it from me if you fancied it? R200 DCP is the plate.

I would do mate but I've enough plates around me at the minute. 888 plate coming off the 911 and going in this and the 88 plate going on 911 as I'll keep it a lot longer/forever

And yeah, fun wee car, not fast but bit of craic. Definitely get one!

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Great car mate, actually really miss my r27, sort of wish a hadn’t let it go tbh! Think mine had 15mm spacers and h&r springs on cup shocks! Was a tad bouncy when pushed in! Think rpd where selling out original cup shocks very cheap a while back

My exhaust was non res with car delete, it was mental loud and crackled on over run but droned a lot at 70, had to be at 60 or 80 on the motorway to make it bearable.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Great car mate, actually really miss my r27, sort of wish a hadn’t let it go tbh! Think mine had 15mm spacers and h&r springs on cup shocks! Was a tad bouncy when pushed in! Think rpd where selling out original cup shocks very cheap a while back

My exhaust was non res with car delete, it was mental loud and crackled on over run but droned a lot at 70, had to be at 60 or 80 on the motorway to make it bearable.

Haha, that sounds exactly like I want! I don't mind drone at normal speed at all as won't be using it everyday. Crackles sound great also! Need to figure out what spacers to use with whatever wheels I go for as standard wheels sit way too far in!

Gear shift could do with looking at as well, but sure it'll need rebuilt soon being a Renault one

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
Tyres are the best performance mod for a 200, I had a set of Advan AD08RS on mine and it shaved a few seconds a lap off at Kirky.

I also put a set of uprated bilstein coilovers on but didn't notice much if any difference, the standard cup suspension with a set of springs is more than good enough.

Brilliant wee cars, make you feel like you're doing all the work.

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
Tyres are the best performance mod for a 200, I had a set of Advan AD08RS on mine and it shaved a few seconds a lap off at Kirky.

I also put a set of uprated bilstein coilovers on but didn't notice much if any difference, the standard cup suspension with a set of springs is more than good enough.

Brilliant wee cars, make you feel like you're doing all the work.

Perfect cheers for that! Was so tempted to go Ad08r but going pilot sport 4s now as needs to be a useable road car. Also have cup suspension so was going to bang some eibachs in there as that's what they all seem to do on the forum so must be alright

ilovequo

RMS Regular
Lovely car and unbelievably cheap at the minute!
Have been really tempted by a few recently but it’d too similar a car to my 182 to make it worth paying more tax/insurance...

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
I put PS4s on mine recently and it feels much better than before. I went for Ktec induction kit, not too intrusive until about 4k revs then it just roars.
My girlfriend hates the noise which makes me enjoy flooring it all the more.

As I said on insta, if you get that map sensor holder, it really helps if the car is kangarooing when cold etc. Its about 20 quid and takes 10 seconds to fit but actually makes a huge difference to the drivability of the car.

Health to drive, i've mine up for sale but only half heartedly to be honest. might keep it another while.

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
What is it with Renaultsport Clios and shoddy quality steering wheels? My 182 had the rubber grip issue as I think most did. I also really miss my 182, best driving car I ever owned. I'd say once a month I'm in the Pistonheads classifieds looking at Clios.

All the best with it, I'm sure it will be great fun to throw around.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Perfect choice for a bit of fun. I am sure that was a spirited drive home. :cool:

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Awesome little cars, never owned a 197/200 but loved my 17/82's!

That looks great in red!

Sabelt do a lovely alcantara wheel stamped RenaultSport. I had one in my ph1 172 and it really added to the driving experience might be a good mod.

Also when you do fit the recaros, there are brackets that make the seat sit alot lower and it makes a world of difference 😎

@Eddie_ is the expert in these though

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
I put PS4s on mine recently and it feels much better than before. I went for Ktec induction kit, not too intrusive until about 4k revs then it just roars.
My girlfriend hates the noise which makes me enjoy flooring it all the more.

As I said on insta, if you get that map sensor holder, it really helps if the car is kangarooing when cold etc. Its about 20 quid and takes 10 seconds to fit but actually makes a huge difference to the drivability of the car.

Health to drive, i've mine up for sale but only half heartedly to be honest. might keep it another while.

Looking at induction kits here now, that sounds like what I want lol. Will look into the sensor holder as well though can’t say I’ve noticed it kangarooing when cold yet?

Awesome little cars, never owned a 197/200 but loved my 17/82's!

That looks great in red!

Sabelt do a lovely alcantara wheel stamped RenaultSport. I had one in my ph1 172 and it really added to the driving experience might be a good mod.

Also when you do fit the recaros, there are brackets that make the seat sit alot lower and it makes a world of difference 😎

@Eddie_ is the expert in these though

Have seen the Sabelt wheel, looks class, but not sure I can be bothered with the airbag hassle come MOT time. Maybe easy enough to swap wheels over though, I haven’t checked yet. Was just going to send the standard one off to Royal and get it done alcantara with red stitching and red band at top.

Second last photo just down from Glenshee ski centre?

Unreal road, one of my favourites!

Certainly is, cracking road! Heading back in a few weeks but on the bike this time

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I'm confused....... you own a Porsche 911 - don't you drive it? Why would you need this admitteldly great little pocket rocket. #allyouneedisaPorscheand maybeanestatecarforfamilyduties

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
I know of a few 911 drives with 197/200 clios for fun, actually know of one with a Lamborghini, fezza and a 200 Clio.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I know of a few 911 drives with 197/200 clios for fun, actually know of one with a Lamborghini, fezza and a 200 Clio.
A freind has a Lotus Exige, A Merc AMG-something, a 911 930 and a Clio 182. He has a tiny garage and restricted parking at his place...... and some very understanding neighbours! Property-wise, he's the Anti Gav.......... I'm of the opinion that a bloke should own max 2 cars - one for the boring stuff and one for the fun stuff. That's merely my opinion, and I won't try to conquer the world Vegan Malitia Stylee with my unwanted opinions! :-#

gav525

RMS Regular
OP
gav525
Drives
Anything
I'm confused....... you own a Porsche 911 - don't you drive it? Why would you need this admitteldly great little pocket rocket. #allyouneedisaPorscheand maybeanestatecarforfamilyduties

Oh yeah it gets driven(when I'm not dismantling it) but it's got lowish miles on it and pretty good condition so want to keep it that way. It will be taken across Europe and to the Ring as soon as Covid 19 permits though!
Clio is to be used and abused daily and on track when I get a chance. Plus I'd always wanted one, great for the back roads.

No need for a family duties car as only me and her and hopefully stays that way, though we do have the old Range Rover still for dump runs etc

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
A freind has a Lotus Exige, A Merc AMG-something, a 911 930 and a Clio 182. He has a tiny garage and restricted parking at his place...... and some very understanding neighbours! Property-wise, he's the Anti Gav.......... I'm of the opinion that a bloke should own max 2 cars - one for the boring stuff and one for the fun stuff. That's merely my opinion, and I won't try to conquer the world Vegan Malitia Stylee with my unwanted opinions! :-#

Only 4? Recommend he rents an out of town unit to store more in. Can't have too many cars.

warren

RMS Photographer
Love these cars, a 197 or 200 is on my list......someday.

It goes go show just how good these are when people own a load of daft stuff and still have one!

Will be interesting to watch you take it to bits :laughing: (Im sure it will happen)

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
They are great little cars. I did a Renaultsport run in a 200 several years back with @Eddie_ and a few others from the forum, and it was honestly great craic, just sitting high in the rev band to keep the power on down country roads. (y)(y)
Enjoy! Look forward to seeing what you do with it

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
You don’t know what to be at 😂

Should be an enjoyable thread, even though I know bugger all about em ...